Options

How about a new British national anthem because...

TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
Forum Member
...the current one, 'God Save the Queen', is more like a British funeral anthem. This inharmonious dirge compares unfavourably with the upbeat national anthems of Latin countries such as France, Italy and Brazil.

Is it not about time that it was changed? Many alternatives have been proposed including 'I Vow to Thee My Country' but personally I think Jerusalem would be far better with the word 'England' being changed to 'Britain' so as to be inclusive.

Now if I were being really adventurous, it would have to be 'Echo Beach' by Martha and the Muffins (listen here at http://www.last.fm/music/Martha+and+the+Muffins/_/Echo+Beach or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyzsBqk8u1w). That would certainly be a happy anthem to dance around to but I suspect traditionalists wouldn't like it not least because I think they're from Canada!

Over to you now: what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    phil_rocksphil_rocks Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    to quote billy connolly why not have the theme to the archers
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like our national anthem either, especially when you compare it to some of the other more upbeat ones at sporting events. Land of Hope and Glory is a great substitute assuming it's relevant to the whole of the UK (I don't know the lyrics, but I know it is often used to represent just England)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jerusalem...maybe, but I personally love Land of Hope and Glory!

Rosalynn, I've just checked over the lyrics, it could easily be the whole of the UK :)

I sense a money making opportunity for the BBC. A compertition to write a new one!
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerusalem is a fantastic song, and it feels great to belt it out as part of a crowd.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Land Of Hope & Glory.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GSTQ is poor for an anthem, same for all English speaking countries anthems IMO.

Can't beat the Russian and Romanian anthems :cool:
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why not take the lead in the World and just do away with the national anthem altogether and announce to to the world that nationalism is finally on the way out...........

Peace, man................:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have long thought the anthem should be changed-the one
    now used--God bless our Queen-should be a personal song
    only sung when Her Majesty is present.However I feel that
    Jerusalem altho a lovely song is not suitable---There is one
    that fills the bill to perfection--it is--

LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY!

Surely when we sing or hear the words & lovely tune-this is
    the one that really makes it GREAT to be British! :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,464
    Forum Member
    Rule Britannia!

That would be the best national anthem ever. And who cares its hideously out of date, they are for every country. America's national anthem is about blowing up a British camp if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Why exactly do we want to build Jerusalem in England's green and pleasant lands? If it's for religious reasons count me out again...
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Rule Britannia!

That would be the best national anthem ever. And who cares its hideously out of date, they are for every country. America's national anthem is about blowing up a British camp if I'm not mistaken.

Something like... it's damned catchy and it's got rockets in it...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rule Britannia!

Yes. Rule Britannia is so much more uplifting. God Save The Queen is like a funeral march and just not all that inspiring.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    phil_rocks wrote: »
    Also, to quote BC: I think the Queen should be saved and, given that she should be saved, G*d's the very chap !

Richard [in SG1]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    sg_ wrote: »
    GSTQ is poor for an anthem, same for all English speaking countries anthems IMO.

Can't beat the Russian and Romanian anthems :cool:
    I have GSTQ as my ringing tone !
  • Options
    ItHasPotentialItHasPotential Posts: 7,817
    Forum Member
    We are the people

complete with clapping ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...the current one, 'God Save the Queen', is more like a British funeral anthem. This inharmonious dirge compares unfavourably with the upbeat national anthems of Latin countries such as France, Italy and Brazil.

Is it not about time that it was changed? Many alternatives have been proposed including 'I Vow to Thee My Country' but personally I think Jerusalem would be far better with the word 'England' being changed to 'Britain' so as to be inclusive.

Now if I were being really adventurous, it would have to be 'Echo Beach' by Martha and the Muffins (listen here at http://www.last.fm/music/Martha+and+the+Muffins/_/Echo+Beach or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyzsBqk8u1w). That would certainly be a happy anthem to dance around to but I suspect traditionalists wouldn't like it not least because I think they're from Canada!

Over to you now: what do you think?
    Be fair!
    It's taken me 50 odd years to learn the words to the current one!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Personally, I like our Anthem. And I think more people would, too, if they knew all the words. Some of the verses are a little out of date, but these two are my favourites (and fairly topical at the moment) -

"Thy choicest gifts in store
    On her be pleased to pour;
    Long may she reign;
    May she defend our laws,
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice,
    God save the Queen!

"Not in this land alone,
    But be God's mercies known,
    From shore to shore!
    Lord make the nations see,
    That men should brothers be,
    And form one family,
    The wide world o'er "
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    phil_rocks wrote: »

One of his best, with an anthem like that no wonder we lose the race
  • Options
    83ray183ray1 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A spice girls tune

remind the world of all the good things britain created.

"I'll tell you what I want what I really really want"
  • Options
    83ray183ray1 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A spice girls tune

remind the world of all the good things britain created.

"I'll tell you what I want what I really really want"
  • Options
    ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Personally I think it should be changed to pretty much anything else. I don't believe in god and I think the monarchy should be abolished so GSTQ doesn't really do it for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason, I Vow to Thee My Country was always a favourite at school when they had it in assembly! Not sure I'd want it as our anthem, but it was belted out when we sang it (maybe because it was just better than many of the hymns we had to sing and had a better 'tune' than God Save The Queen?).

Not sure about using Rule Britannia, to be honest - we've a bad enough rep' as it is!
  • Options
    douknowotimean?douknowotimean? Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Eyed Peas = Where is the love.

Why? Well it kind of describes "Broken Britain".
  • Options
    GurglesGurgles Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like our National Anthem - sounds like a dirge. I hate Jerusalem too - can't bear it.

"And did those feet in ancient time walk upon England's pastures green...?" erm NO!! If Jesus existed he lived and died in Palestine and never set foot here. Bloody stupid song (it's not a hymn) that is! :mad:

Land of Hope and Glory would be my choice :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we shouldn't have one at all. I know all the other kids have one but that doesn't mean we need to have one...

Just as we don't bother to put the country's name on our stamps.

We should just have a respectful minute's silence.

In sporting competitions other nations would find themselves trembling in awe........

...or giggling uncontrollably, whichever is appropriate...