Options

Shame on you, Tesco

Hi847Hi847 Posts: 2,745
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tesco-shareholders-reject-tv-chefs-chicken-welfare-call-855751.html

Tesco shareholders have recently voted against proposals to improve the living standards of chickens which are being used for their poultry products.

Even worse, Tesco panicked (about a loss of profits of course) when told about the proposals, so they resorted to scaring their shareholders in order to make them vote against it. As a result, only 10% of shareholders voted in favour of the proposal, way below the 75% required for it to be put into action.

Is all these people care about money? It makes me sick.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THAT'S DISCRACEFUL

Thats why i shop in either morrisons or sainsbury's
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If everyone is making each other sick perhaps the chickens are the last of our worries
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was disappointed when I read about it as well. I hope Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall doesn't give up on this.
  • Options
    DiddoDiddo Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheap food is most people's first priority, animal welfare takes second priority, sad, but a fact of life.

I neither eat chicken / meat, and I don't shop at Tesco's, so the shareholders won't make anything out of me.
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I disagree. There is clearly a HUGE market for battery chickens and any business would be crazy to stop catering for it.

IIRC Tesco offers a variety of chickens to suit all tastes and budgets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's the thing...if people who can barely afford to feed their families, what are they going to choose?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As much as I agree with Hugh Whatshisname, he is abit of a hypocrite as I was once unfortunate enough to witness him breaking a young chickens neck just because it was limping.
  • Options
    phil_rocksphil_rocks Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi847 wrote: »
    As much as I agree with Hugh Whatshisname, he is abit of a hypocrite as I was once unfortunate enough to witness him breaking a young chickens neck just because it was limping.

he didnt he put it out of his misery because the chicken could barley walk get it RIGHT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder how many people who are up in arms at the morals of those who buy battery chickens walk around in clothes stitched together by children in sweat shops in the far east?
  • Options
    phil_rocksphil_rocks Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Way Of The World Nothing Will Ever Be Perfect I Dont Know Why People Bother Trying
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco are also happy to sell beans and peas from Zimbabwe by claiming the starving people would not eat the beans themselves. Shame on you Mr Tesco and for putting profit before the welfare of chickens.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1029850/Tesco-condemned-claiming-Zimbabweans-dont-want-eat-food-export.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Er at least the children aren't being killed in order to make clothes, nor are they being forced to do the work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phil_rocks wrote: »
    Way Of The World Nothing Will Ever Be Perfect I Dont Know Why People Bother Trying

It's not that it's just that I do sense an underlying social divide between those who don't buy battery chickens because they don't have to who look down on those who do because they cannot afford to buy free-range.

I'm just thinking that if it was suddenly discovered that M&S were using child labour to make it's clothes that there would be quite the moral outrage. I do think this anti-battery chicken thing is driven by the middle classes.

Now clealy the conditions these chickens are being kept in are appalling and I defy anyone not to feel moved and upset when the conditions are paraded infront of us on television as they have been in recent months.

However I can't help but feel that there are other, bigger moral outrages out there and if people dug a little deeper into a lot of the products that we buy whether they be 'Value' range at Tesco or 'Premium' range at Waitrose, which would leave us all with a bad taste in our mouths.

As it is, the stuff that Waitrose or M&S, Debenhams or John Lewis sell will for obvious reasons (for me anyone) will never be under the same microscope as what is sold at Tesco, Asda or Primark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this horrible feeling that once Tesco has 'taken over' the retail (and probably most other) industries, they will be able to get away with this kind of thing and they will increase prices to an extortionate level.

The Chief Executive of Tesco is buddies with the government, don't you know.
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Medium sized Battery chicken = £2.99

(properly) Small Free Range chicken = £7.50
  • Options
    murielhendersonmurielhenderson Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    AaronG wrote: »
    It's not that it's just that I do sense an underlying social divide between those who don't buy battery chickens because they don't have to who look down on those who do because they cannot afford to buy free-range.

I'm just thinking that if it was suddenly discovered that M&S were using child labour to make it's clothes that there would be quite the moral outrage. I do think this anti-battery chicken thing is driven by the middle classes.

Now clealy the conditions these chickens are being kept in are appalling and I defy anyone not to feel moved and upset when the conditions are paraded infront of us on television as they have been in recent months.

However I can't help but feel that there are other, bigger moral outrages out there and if people dug a little deeper into a lot of the products that we buy whether they be 'Value' range at Tesco or 'Premium' range at Waitrose, which would leave us all with a bad taste in our mouths.

As it is, the stuff that Waitrose or M&S, Debenhams or John Lewis sell will for obvious reasons (for me anyone) will never be under the same microscope as what is sold at Tesco, Asda or Primark

Battles must be chosen carefully. You'll never win if you try to win everything at the same time.
  • Options
    Drinking_GeckoDrinking_Gecko Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this horrible feeling that once Tesco has 'taken over' the retail (and probably most other) industries, they will be able to get away with this kind of thing and they will increase prices to an extortionate level.

The Chief Executive of Tesco is buddies with the government, don't you know.

And I have a horrible feeling that Fearn Cotton might one day move in to the house next to mine and wake me up every morning with her 'rock chick' wannabe ****ing irritating antics, however, neither are likely to happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Medium sized Battery chicken = £2.99

(properly) Small Free Range chicken = £7.50

Long and short. If you're on benefits and its all you can do to feed your kids toast for breakfast which went past it's use by date on Thursday, you're hardly likely to think "Well, I'd like to feed my family, but I have to think of the chickens to!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battles must be chosen carefully. You'll never win if you try to win everything at the same time.

But I think this battle has been chosen carefully and I think it's an arrogant oversite that the argument of those who oppose the rearing (is that the right terminology?) of these battery chickens doesn't seem to acknowledge the fact that people buy them because they can't afford much else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they did free range chickens on the same scale as battery chickens, the price would be the same.

After all, how can it be more expensive to keep a free range chicken than to keep a battery chicken?
  • Options
    scoot70scoot70 Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does it matter how the chickens are being bred and raised? They are being bred and raised for the sole purpose of being slaughtered and eaten. Im pretty sure they are totally unaware of their surroundings as they havent known anything different.

I was far more disappointed in Whittingstalls assumption that it would alright if we only had the option of free range chicken at its inflated prices as the number of poor in society are diminishing all the time. Is his head that far up his arse that he is unaware of the financial difficulties that many in this country are facing just now. He may think the poor are in a minority but its a rapidly growing minority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It'd make a good cartoonist sketch

Waiter: I can assure you Sir, all the meat we use in our restaurant is free range

Customer: Very good, I approve.

Waiter: So what will it be?

Customer: I'll have the foie gras.
  • Options
    robtuk06robtuk06 Posts: 4,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they did free range chickens on the same scale as battery chickens, the price would be the same.

After all, how can it be more expensive to keep a free range chicken than to keep a battery chicken?

Is that a serious question?
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because you can keep about 10,000 chickens in a secure barn, it's easy to feed them, it's easy to collect them for slaughter.

Keep 10,000 chickens in a field and it's a whole different ball game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    foie gras is so cruel. How can people eat it without thinking about what those poor geese have gone through.