Parks & Recreation DAVE

Comments

• ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Netflix! I forgot it was on there! I've got access on a spare user spot from my sister!

Cheers ocav!

Don't forget it's Netflix US only so you'll need a service like UnblockUS set up
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, that was the first thing I did when I created my account!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Yes, Yes, Yes. BBC4 are showing Parks and Rec from the very beginning, from 9pm this Wednesday. This hss made my week!
  • boab34boab34 Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stereofam wrote: »
    Yes, Yes, Yes. BBC4 are showing Parks and Rec from the very beginning, from 9pm this Wednesday. This hss made my week!

thanks for the heads up :)

btw, listings say it's at 11 pm

i've heard that s1 wasn't great but it improved in s2
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    boab34 wrote: »
    thanks for the heads up :)

btw, listings say it's at 11 pm

i've heard that s1 wasn't great but it improved in s2
    Oops, sorry bout that. Was too excited when I saw it was on, and didn't see the times properly. Got the day right though 😃
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Series 1 sets up the premise and I actually liked it. But it is a bit different in tone and misses characters added later and the show improves as it goes along. But you would not want to miss how it all starts out.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    Series 1 is being shown again. Forgotten it was shot as a mockumentary, a device dropped for Series 2.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Series 1 is being shown again. Forgotten it was shot as a mockumentary, a device dropped for Series 2.

That device was not dropped. The characters have talked to the camera throughout the series.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    That device was not dropped. The characters have talked to the camera throughout the series.

They don't follow all the rules strictly though, like the US Office they just ignore the fact it's a mockumentary when it suits them. Very different from the UK version of the Office in that respect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the 1st 2 eps were brilliant

I got more laughs from the first ep than from comedies like B99, Mindy, 2BG and New Girl to date

So why is P&R often cited as a show that wasn't v. good at the start? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    the 1st 2 eps were brilliant

I got more laughs from the first ep than from comedies like B99, Mindy, 2BG and New Girl to date

So why is P&R often cited as a show that wasn't v. good at the start? :confused:

For me, it was that the show seemed a bit shaky getting off the ground in it's first season. However if you enjoyed the first 2 episodes, it just means you'll love what comes next even more
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, it was that the show seemed a bit shaky getting off the ground in it's first season. However if you enjoyed the first 2 episodes, it just means you'll love what comes next even more

i was worried s1 was going to go downhill
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i was worried s1 was going to go downhill

It's not that the season is rubbish, or goes downhill, just that compared to what the show grows into, season 1 is nowhere near as consummate, confident and consistently amusing as the rest of the seasons.

Actually, I watched episode one twice about six months apart and both times turned it off about 15 minutes in, writing it off as an excruciatingly formulaic ME TOO of The Office. Only after I got incredibly bored one day and after I read yet another article suggesting it was awesome did I persevere through two episodes and by that time I got it.

I had the same issue with Community. Tried the first season twice, watched several episodes waiting for it to stop being excruciatingly arch and smug, but it never really did. Didn't laugh, didn't like the smugness, hated the main male character, not a fan of Chevy Chase, have never understood the internet love for the show.

Hey ho!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Series 1 sets up the premise and I actually liked it. But it is a bit different in tone and misses characters added later and the show improves as it goes along. But you would not want to miss how it all starts out.

I don't think you miss that much really. It's not like the first season sets up any important elements that you don't get from pretty much anything in the second season onwards, really. In fact the first season contains characters that are cut later, and doesn't feature two of the best characters that arrive later.

All you really need to know from season one is that Andy used to go out with Ann Perkins. That's about it…? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    I had the same issue with Community. Tried the first season twice, watched several episodes waiting for it to stop being excruciatingly arch and smug, but it never really did. Didn't laugh, didn't like the smugness, hated the main male character, not a fan of Chevy Chase, have never understood the internet love for the show.

Hey ho!

The first season isn't that great, but towards the end of the season the creator thought the show was going to be cancelled, so went crazy and did some strange episodes that he wouldn't ordinarily have done, which were very well received, and the show was unexpectedly renewed. The second season steps it up and is brilliant, the third season is also good, but the creator got fired for the fourth season and I stopped watching. The creator later returned for season five...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    I don't know but I bet it's Jerry's fault

Larry. It's Larry's fault.

:P
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding Community, not P&R:
    The first season isn't that great, but towards the end of the season the creator thought the show was going to be cancelled, so went crazy and did some strange episodes that he wouldn't ordinarily have done, which were very well received, and the show was unexpectedly renewed. The second season steps it up and is brilliant, the third season is also good, but the creator got fired for the fourth season and I stopped watching. The creator later returned for season five...

Oh I never got to the end of the first season, not even close. But I gave those first half dozen episodes two goes each, and it failed to grab me. Never mind.
  • Entropy_NebulaEntropy_Nebula Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this show, just discovered it, binged seasons 1-3 over the past week..

I defo agree it doesn't get properly going until season 2, same as it's big brother The US Office.

I love Ron, my favourite character by far...
  • beaky29beaky29 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Haven't started to watch the re-runs yet, I want the old man to watch it from the beginning. He flips in and out when I watch it and doesn't understand it!
    I LOVE P arks and Recreations ........ Recommend it to anyone that wants to listen!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ron's hernia :D:D:D

lol esp when he asked April to get him his lunch which was only a few inches away
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has there been any word from the BBC on if or when they ever plan to show season 4?
  • denddend Posts: 2,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got into this show recently and agree with everyone else that it is fantastic, such a great cast and probably one of the best comedy shows around just now. Season 1 is pretty poor, you felt they were trying to copy the office. Some of my friends stopped watching after a couple as it was pretty awful, but stick with it(or skip season 1 complete, you dont miss much) as Season 2 onwards is brilliant!
  • daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member
    I've been binge watching Parks & Recreation for the past few weeks, and I just love it. Definitely up there with 30 Rock and The US Office for my favourite comedies. I'm a few episodes into the fifth series and it has me laughing out loud regularly! The whole cast is fantastic, but I'd say Ron's my favourite character.
  • jonnyblackjonnyblack Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still no word on season 4 from the BBC?
  • SteelEdgeSteelEdge Posts: 6,903
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying the final season which is currently being shown in America. Leslie making up new lyrics on the fly as she sang along to We Didn't Start The Fire was hilarious! :D