Options

Microsoft Set To Do A U-Turn On Windows 8

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Yes you will need a MS login for the windows 8.1 update.
    I'd be willing to login just the once, in order to get the 8.1 update, IF:

a) Classic Shell and similar Metro-hiding tools are not disabled by 8.1; and

b) I can continue to use my local login as usual thereafter.

If either of those are not the case, I will never take 8.1.

Incidentally, I do like the W8 file copy dialogs, I really miss them when booting up into XP as I sometimes do for legacy stuff. The new dialogs with speed graphs are really useful when copying very large files, folders and making backups; also in comparing the performance of different disks, SD cards, usb sticks and connections (usb 2/3 etc.).

For me, the file dialogs alone were worth the upgrade from 7 (once I managed to bury Metro).
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »

There's no suggestion that either will be affected by the update. That said, as you never use anything in W8 it won't be worth updating early for you....
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    ...estore the Start button (....will only lead to the Metro tiles screen not the conventional Start menu). .....

So maybe they have 'listened' and decided 'well we failed to enforce that down their necks, so let's try it this way'.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Incidentally, I do like the W8 file copy dialogs, I really miss them when booting up into XP as I sometimes do for legacy stuff. The new dialogs with speed graphs are really useful when copying very large files, folders and making backups; also in comparing the performance of different disks, SD cards, usb sticks and connections (usb 2/3 etc.).

For me, the file dialogs alone were worth the upgrade from 7 (once I managed to bury Metro).

There are methods to replace start menu that work for W7, too. They would not break a functionality that only uses documented features. As for non MS login they cannot remove that functionality, because if nothing else it has to work within a domain. So you will have to use a MS login for Windows Store and that's it. The preview will be available, so why not to try it out and see if it makes sense for you.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,530
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    That said, as you never use anything in W8 it won't be worth updating early for you....
    What a strange statement, I use most aspects of W8 heavily, with the exception of Metro, its apps and charms. What I use, I like.
  • Options
    DotNetWillDotNetWill Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange statement, I use most aspects of W8 heavily, with the exception of Metro, its apps and charms. What I use, I like.

I am exactly the same.

This is the bit I really struggle with in these threads, I'm not keen on Metro or Windows App Store apps so I don't use them and I don't notice they are there. They don't get in the way nor am I forced to use them all the time.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am currently on my work laptop (Lenovo X220 running Windows 7).
    These days I get a sense of claustrophobia when using it.

I do like using the Windows 8 start screen as a widget-y dashboard to quickly see if there are new tweets, emails, new stories etc without it bothering me when I'm on the desktop side.

Having gotten used to Windows 8 now, I'm also less enamoured of Aero on W7. I now prefer the subtler look of it on 8's desktop.

That said, I'd rather have 7's glassy Aero than the dull grey that seems to pervade the window chrome on Macs.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend. What I meant was the Metro side of things. As I see it not much update anywhere else....:)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DotNetWill wrote: »
    I am exactly the same.

This is the bit I really struggle with in these threads, I'm not keen on Metro or Windows App Store apps so I don't use them and I don't notice they are there. They don't get in the way nor am I forced to use them all the time.

I think what people are mostly worried about is the next full version of Windows or the one after that and the prospect that Microsoft may take away the desktop completely and/or disable the 3rd party add ons that make W8 usable. Everybody kicking up a fuss now makes that less likely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I think what people are mostly worried about is the next full version of Windows or the one after that and the prospect that Microsoft may take away the desktop completely and/or disable the 3rd party add ons that make W8 usable. Everybody kicking up a fuss now makes that less likely.

Anyone who thinks that doesn't understand Microsoft, they want to grow Metro to prevent themselves being destroyed in the consumer space and prevent BYOD destroying their strength in the business market.

Getting rid of the desktop would be them killing their business market themselves which they won't do.

Remember we only have windows 8 in this form in the first place because Microsoft were late to the party. Windows 8 was their attempt to break the userbase/apps chicken-and-egg issue that has befallen Windows Phone.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that doesn't understand Microsoft, they want to grow Metro to prevent themselves being destroyed in the consumer space and prevent BYOD destroying their strength in the business market.

Getting rid of the desktop would be them killing their business market themselves which they won't do.

Remember we only have windows 8 in this form in the first place because Microsoft were late to the party. Windows 8 was their attempt to break the userbase/apps chicken-and-egg issue that has befallen Windows Phone.

It doesn't appear to be that way though from their actions. Firstly they make it difficult to use the desktop and force people to use 3rd party add ons and then their response to criticism is to patronisingly talk about helping people to move to Metro as if the reason they don't like it is because change is difficult and they just can't manage.

I'm not arguing against your points I'm just saying that is not the impression Microsoft are creating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't appear to be that way though from their actions. Firstly they make it difficult to use the desktop and force people to use 3rd party add ons and then their response to criticism is to patronisingly talk about helping people to move to Metro as if the reason they don't like it is because change is difficult and they just can't manage.

I'm not arguing against your points I'm just saying that is not the impression Microsoft are creating.

What you say is all correct.

Yes, they want to push people to metro to ensure the usage is there so the app developers come and ensure a vibrant software library.

Whilst what I laid out is an underlying part of their reasoning in coming up with their product strategy, that's of course not how they're going to market and sell it to people. They're not going to say we're forcing metro on you, they're going to sell it to you as a good thing.

That said, I do love metro on Windows Phone, I do love hybrid concepts (I'm thinking of buying a second generation Surface Pro with Haswell processor) and there are merits to what they've done.
  • Options
    Shaun_MurrayShaun_Murray Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    If 8.1 brings back the start button but only sends you to $h!tty Start Screen I won't be updating to it.

Unless of course Classic Shell also comes with a way to disable that and bring up a proper start menu as it does now, the way it should work.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If 8.1 brings back the start button but only sends you to $h!tty Start Screen I won't be updating to it.

Unless of course Classic Shell also comes with a way to disable that and bring up a proper start menu as it does now, the way it should work.

I have seen on here and other sites that the start button will only send you to the start screen, it is because people are confused when they get to the desktop and they don.t know how to get back.

As for start menus, I know the ones I use startisback will not work with 8.1, so unless that is updated, I will stay with windows 8, I can't see myself missing 8.1 anyway, it seems to be all about the UI and changing that.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Windows 8.1 will definitely be free. :)
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the benefit of the pedants: the upgrade from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1 will be free.
  • Options
    SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the benefit of the pedants: the upgrade from Windows 8.0 to Windows 8.1 will be free.

Oh yes.. good point. And from what I've read it will require a trip to the windows app store to download it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes.. good point. And from what I've read it will require a trip to the windows app store to download it.
    Yes - which presumably requires a Microsoft account - but perhaps you can have a Microsoft account but not a Microsoft email address?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - which presumably requires a Microsoft account - but perhaps you can have a Microsoft account but not a Microsoft email address?

Correct. One of my MS accounts uses my Gmail email address.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

So it's essentially a service pack in all but name?

Exactly. People are used to the start menu and have been since the mid 90s. It works fine, so why change what's not broken? Not everyone wants or needs a tablet. And forcing a tablet OS onto desktop users was just stupid. They should have sold Windows 7 alongside Windows 8 or made two versions of W8 - one with the Duplo interface for tablets and another with the desktop and start menu for desktop users. Maybe they need to bring back Windows NT for business users. The reason people don't like the new interface is because it's rubbish and tacky, not because they don't like change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's essentially a service pack in all but name?
    That's the current general consensus but bear in mind that we don't really know anything for sure about what changes it will include.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

i got a hotmail account, which is now a MS account, been meaning to get rid of it for a while since I don't really use it.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i got a hotmail account, which is now a MS account, been meaning to get rid of it for a while since I don't really use it.

Thanks for sharing that, good to know... useful information and another quality contribution from you:rolleyes: