Lana Del Rey set to have another hit with Summertime Sadness.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    This song has been added at both Z100 and KIIS FM so anything could happen now! They are apparently playing the remix.

I don't expect a massive No. 1 (although that would be nice) but hopefully she'll manage at least another top 30. I know she's mainly an albums artist but it would be nice for her to get a big hit.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    A remix? I don't know whether I like the sound of that. I'm not a fan of remixes. Summertime Sadness is one of my favourite LDR songs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All down to opinion :)

Yeah but why in your opinion is it better. It's a very unrealistic chart.
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    A remix? I don't know whether I like the sound of that. I'm not a fan of remixes. Summertime Sadness is one of my favourite LDR songs.

I'm by no means a fan of remixes either but this is US radio and they play utter **** in general so no way an un-remixed LDR song from Born To Die is ever going to get big radio play there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of remixes.

Me neither. I actively avoid them. The only time I like "remixed" versions of a song is if the artist just has a different version to perform when they are touring. Otherwise I just don't get why remixes are a big deal or why they even happen, really.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    Summertime Sadness Radio Edit

I much prefer the album version. All this proves for me is that unfortunately, a "beat" is what grabs people's (and radio's) attention over the beauty of music without it.
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 1 have added this to their C List today.
    Forum Member
    A sad indictment of radio in the UK and US then. The amazing Young & Beautiful was almost totally ignored by radio.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I much prefer the album version. All this proves for me is that unfortunately, a "beat" is what grabs people's (and radio's) attention over the beauty of music without it.

Hmm. I don't prefer the remix. It takes the subtlety and much of the meaning out. But it is ... catchier. :)
    Forum Member
    It's not the radio edit that US radio is playing AFAIAA, it's the Cedric Gervais remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPbN2pQXe1o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now listening to the remix, I'm not a fan of it. But of it gets her an airplay hit then it will help MASSIVELY for the lead single off her second album.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    HandsClean wrote: »
    Now listening to the remix, I'm not a fan of it. But of it gets her an airplay hit then it will help MASSIVELY for the lead single off her second album.

This.
    Forum Member
    I totally agree; I said as much in post #7.
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had that radio edit of Summertime Sadness since last year....surprising that radios are picking it up only now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

My issue with how the public/radio stations latch onto a song is they will see the title - like Summertime Sadness - and decide it's a good anthem for something, in this case summer without actually really delving into what the song is truly about. People and the media misinterpreting songs where the real meaning is so bloody obvious really winds me up. As you say, no one cares about the beauty of the music. Sad songs fall victim to people deciding they are happy just because the lyrics are ironic or the beat is cheerful. It's like nobody truly listens to music, they just approach it in the most shallow and ignorant way possible.
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    I've had that radio edit of Summertime Sadness since last year....surprising that radios are picking it up only now!

It's not the radio edit they are picking up on, Makson, it's the Cedric Gervais remix (certainly in the US, we'll have to wait and see what Radio 1 plays).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the radio edit that US radio is playing AFAIAA, it's the Cedric Gervais remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPbN2pQXe1o

That's too bad. I find the intro section so annoying that I'd turn off a radio station that played it. Most of the rest of it's ok, though I find it harder to enjoy than the radio edit, and I think it takes out even more of the subtlety and meaning. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    I think it takes out even more of the subtlety and meaning. :(

The mainstream music buying/listening public won't give a stuff about that. :(
    Forum Member
    Veri wrote: »
    That's too bad. I find the intro section so annoying that I'd turn off a radio station that played it. Most of the rest of it's ok, though I find it harder to enjoy than the radio edit, and I think it takes out even more of the subtlety and meaning. :(

Apparently the first minute of the remix isn't played on the radio as that is apparently for club DJs to mix their own stuff into. Or summat like that, I'm no expert ( it was a comment on the youtube video)

PS LANA DEL REY – Summertime Sadness: 7.056 (+0.628) :eek:
    Forum Member
    Radio edit of the remix is up on US iTunes (you can sample 90 seconds of it).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/summertime-sadness-lana-del/id672413494?i=672413495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the first minute of the remix isn't played on the radio as that is apparently for club DJs to mix their own stuff into. Or summat like that, I'm no expert ( it was a comment on the youtube video)

PS LANA DEL REY – Summertime Sadness: 7.056 (+0.628) :eek:

Good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up 9 places to 12 on the Bubbling Under Chart.

Now 120 on iTunes, rising airplay. my bet is this will enter the Hot 100 next week.
    Forum Member
    The remix is flying up the US iTunes chart - now up tp #98 with the original song at #118. About #40 combined. HIT! :eek:
    Forum Member
    Apparently this is the official remix video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=akhmS1D2Ce4
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this song, it's a shame it didn't do well over here.