Sleepy Hollow (UK Pace) on Universal

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    GerriP wrote: »
    I put this on last night on +1 just for something to pass the time and I thought it was one of the best pilots I've seen in recent years and certainly the best of this season's crop. Hopefully it will keep the quality up!

Did the exact same thing, thought the film was a bit pants at the time - Watched it last night & loved the pilot.
    Kirah wrote: »
    It's been renewed for a second season (13 episodes per season.)

Really enjoyed the pilot, far darker than I had expected and hit just the right notes. It felt a bit 'once upon a supernatural fringe' :)

Yep, good to see Bob Orci & Alex Kurtzman back together on the small screen :)
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    I didn't realise the guy's name.

An obvious nod to Washington Irving, the writer of the original short story The Legend Of Sleepy Hollow.

Irving met a real Ichabod Crane during the War of 1812

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichabod_Crane_(Colonel)
    I didn't know that....:yawn:......;)
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    Didn't think it was all that but I don't care, Tom Mison is bloomin gorgeous so I'll keep watching.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That cop is gonna need an osteopath. :D I don't know how anybody can think this show is twee.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to say I'm loving this show so far. Nice mix of the "cop and the creepy" to it, and the female lead is cute too, which helps....

Watched first two eps together (did the same for The Blacklist) as I get a better feel for a show as the first in a series tends to be mostly exposition, but with this one I really didn't need to do it, as it was head chopping good from the start.

(Liked the "joke" of the horse warning sign, a nice touch I thought)

And as to this show being "twee", you are joking, aren't you?.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I though Ichabod had got the name of one of the Four Horsemen wrong when he called them War, Conquest, Famine and Death but it turns out that the rider on the White horse was originally called Conquest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Horsemen_of_the_Apocalypse#White_Horse

I'd put money on the female cop and her sister being descended from a member of The Sisterhood of the Radiant Heart ie the good coven
    Forum Member
    Tourista wrote: »
    Got to say I'm loving this show so far. Nice mix of the "cop and the creepy" to it, and the female lead is cute too, which helps....

Watched first two eps together (did the same for The Blacklist) as I get a better feel for a show as the first in a series tends to be mostly exposition, but with this one I really didn't need to do it, as it was head chopping good from the start.

(Liked the "joke" of the horse warning sign, a nice touch I thought)

And as to this show being "twee", you are joking, aren't you?.
    Great mix - and the flashbacks.
    That cop is gonna need an osteopath. :D I don't know how anybody can think this show is twee.
    Freaked me out when he hit the Mirror.:eek:

Did like Serilda this week, with the burnt look, and the Sister turning up at the end.

Crane getting use to modern life was fun - the shower, coffee, TV and the10% tax.....Riots I tell you.

Loved the Sinatra tune too....:cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    :D Yes it always amazes me that some people have no problem accepting all the completely impossible occurrences in a program such as this but then worry about something as benign as accepting changes too quickly which is perfectly possible if unlikely.
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I've never understood this position (I didn't understand the criticism in the Atlantis thread either). What is he expected to do, just stand in a confused stupor for the entire episode?

What else can you do in these situations except accept them and get on with it? Particularly if you're the hero where anything less than adaptable and decisive is just going to make you a bit of a wimp. It's not like he was actually using any of the technology.

Really loved this too, by the way :)

Not seen Atlantis so can't comment. It's not a major issue, but when something supernatural happens you get the disbelief, the confusion etc, which is handled well in this show, but commons senses says that someone from such a different era would struggle with basic day to day things- cars, elevators, tv, phones, lights!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As for Crane being able to cope with modern technology...

He's able to cope with magic so maybe he's just treating modern technology as a form of magic

In that sense he's just following Clarke's Third Law

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Not seen Atlantis so can't comment. It's not a major issue, but when something supernatural happens you get the disbelief, the confusion etc, which is handled well in this show, but commons senses says that someone from such a different era would struggle with basic day to day things- cars, elevators, tv, phones, lights!

Yes, I loved all the nods to his unfamiliarity with modern concepts in the last episode but at the end of the day, you just raise an eyebrow in surprise and try to learn from it and accept it. Which is what he did. So, as you say, I think it's handled well in the show and I don't really get the criticism.

Atlantis is the reverse situation where a modern man is displaced into the world of ancient Greece complete with strange monsters and magic. Most day to day things will be unfamiliar but not beyond understanding and the magic, you just accept and get on with it if you want to keep your sanity. So I don't really accept that either show is treating the hero's adaptation to the situation unrealistically.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, especially his surprise at a black woman being anything but a slave. However I do think he adapted far too quickly, I mean seriously 200 years of technological advances are not that easy to accept in 5 mins!

He was a professor of History. That puts him in a position to intellectually accept that over a 200 year period there would have been a significant amount technological advances.

On the other hand, history also teaches us that in other areas, such as overcoming slavery, progress can be much slower. Slavery had been going on for thousands of years all over the world, long before the 1700s, so it's no surprise he thought it may still be going on in 2013 (in fact it does still go on in places of the world).
  • David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first episode was just a roller-coaster of exposition - setting up the fairly hackneyed Beauty and the Beast style premise with the pretty young cop being shown a strange world by her weird new companion. That said, it was pretty and a teensy bit spooky so I watched the second ep and it's settled in quite well. Sure, it's hackneyed, but I can live with that for now.

I quite agree with the critics of Crane's easy acceptance of the 21st century - forget the technology, it's the noise and crowds that would cause the most immediate problems, along with the speed of things, but that level of realism would not make for good telly.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite agree with the critics of Crane's easy acceptance of the 21st century - forget the technology, it's the noise and crowds that would cause the most immediate problems, along with the speed of things, but that level of realism would not make for good telly.

Considering he just woke up from a full blown war zone I imagine he wouldn't have much problem adapting to the noise, crowds and speed of things so far. (It's not that crowded anyway, it's hardly New York City).
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Considering he just woke up from a full blown war zone I imagine he wouldn't have much problem adapting to the noise, crowds and speed of things so far. (It's not that crowded anyway, it's hardly New York City).

Lol good point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Consolidated viewing figures for the first episode adds 280 thousand viewers to the overnight total

http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2013/10/consolidated-ratings-sleepy-hollow-series-premiere-universal-adds-280k-viewers/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it's twee because that's my opinion. It's most definately not a horror story it's a fairy tale, and that to me is twee.

I'll add dull to the list too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    sian2011 wrote: »
    I think it's twee because that's my opinion. It's most definately not a horror story it's a fairy tale, and that to me is twee.

What parts did you find dull and twee?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The sandman :eek: I'm gonna sleep with one eye open tonight.
    Forum Member
    The sandman :eek: I'm gonna sleep with one eye open tonight.
    Liked the Sandman - but the Dream World, Abbie and Ichabod had, got a bit silly.

I like Jenny.;)
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sian2011 wrote: »

So you put it right up there with Once Upon A Time? I don't agree with you, but there you go. :D
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Squiggle wrote: »
    So you put it right up there with Once Upon A Time? I don't agree with you, but there you go. :D

Oi, don't you diss OUAT you, you, you squiggly thing you.

Lana Parrilla rocks! Especially when tied to beds (but we wont explore that atm):o...

As for SH, you gotta love the monsters, so Sqiggle, get your gnashers into sian by all means but leave Lana out of it....:D
  • Judy_HendrixonJudy_Hendrixon Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    I think it's more than a "fairy tale" and certainly not a "horror show" just as the "Star Trek" series can only be called science fiction because it dealt with charcaters of other worlds and species. It also time traveled, had story lines that stretched our imaginagiton and to quote Capt. Kirk it took us to "where no one had gone before". This show also often had us on the edge of our seats, peaking at the screen through our finger blocked vision, and needing to gasp for air because we had held our breath so long in light of what we were really seeing yet could scarely believe. Look carefully and you can see the work and deft hands of the writers of "Star Trek." While "Sleepy Hollow" has the reality factor of our country's history in the story line, it also brings to the show the oft whispered facets of our country's founders belief in the occult. It brings these occult/other world connections and their realm of possibility into our here and now present reality as it is seen in this show. This factor along with what is for some the really scary part, dare I actually say it outloud? It was the founders strongly held belief in The Bible and their acceptence of its teachings into and as a part of their every day lives. This shows up by way of using The Bible's ending which is "The Book of Revelation" as a major part of the story line. Note that I used it as a singular pronoun not the plural pronoun which is sometimes misused when it is wrongly called, "Revelations." It is a single book of a single Revelation written by the Apostle John around 70 A.D. and is the last book of The Bible. I like the show and am glad it was renewed for a second season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This shows up by way of using The Bible's ending which is "The Book of Revelation" as a major part of the story line. Note that I used it as a singular pronoun not the plural pronoun which is sometimes misused when it is wrongly called, "Revelations." It is a single book of a single Revelation written by the Apostle John around 70 A.D. and is the last book of The Bible. I like the show and am glad it was renewed for a second season.

Some Biblical scholars doubt that the John who supposedly wrote The Book of Revelation was not John the Apostle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Revelation#Authorship
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
  • Judy_HendrixonJudy_Hendrixon Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Some Biblical scholars doubt that the John who supposedly wrote The Book of Revelation was not John the Apostle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Revelation#Authorship

Yes, you're right about the debate on the authorship of The Book of Revelation in the Bible; it is a debate which has gone on for decades, it's a thing scholars love to do. It is also how they promote their own ideas, sell books, and get published which is a critical thing/necessity in academia. For that matter almost every author of a New Testament book, especially the writings of the Apostle Paul, has come under question at one point or another all the way back to when they were being shared by the various churches in their early beginnings around 50 A.D. and continued up through their cannonization several centuries later at the Nicean Council 331A.D.

The important fact is it is regularly referenced in the TV show and often wrongly called "Revelations" which was my point of clarification. I only sited the the author and the book's placement in case someone wondered A. what i was talking about regarding the show, and B. where they could further read about it if they were curious.

My intent was not for a theological discusion, but rather to suggest that "Sleepy Hollow" is not a horror show as some are insistant on calling it. But rather if one looks to who are the writers of the show's script, it seems clear to me to think of it as science fiction i.e. "Star Trek" and or something similiar to a fantasy such as "The Twilight Zone." And your views on that are???