Options

Don't the police know they have cameras in cells?

Comments

• Options
    Saint_ErrantSaint_Errant Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    The shocking thing is that having assaulted her, they tried to prosecute her for assault.
  • Options
    camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    It is not actually illegal, but can only be done in exterme circumstances, with genuine justification.

This film is edited, and we have no idea why this is happening. She has assaulted 3 Officers though.

Restraining someone properly does take several Officers, and it can look bad from the outside.

Females can be just as violent as men too.

Hard to tell whether this is justified or not, based on the limited information in the Sun!

Hate to disagree but a male officer is only allowed to restrain a suspect until a female officer becomes available, a male officer cannot legally search a female not even her coat pockets and they are certainly not allowed to strip a female as seen in the video, it is illegal and the police officers present should be dismissed and prosecuted right away and hopefully imprisoned like the filthy perverts they are, shame there does not seem to be a police ombusman in Britian as there is in N.I, ALL those officers would have been suspended right away in N.I for their criminal behaviour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    onefineday wrote: »
    When it comes to the defence of the indefensible, that excuse seems to be trotted out every time.

Same ole, same ole ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    onefineday wrote: »
    When it comes to the defence of the indefensible, that excuse seems to be trotted out every time.

http://zombietime.com/sf_rally_september_24_2005/anatomy_of_a_photograph/
  • Options
    Forum Member

Back to subject please. This certainly isn't about photo cropping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back to subject please. This certainly isn't about photo cropping.

It is to do with the subject, the CCTV is edited and which doesn't tell the full story.
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is to do with the subject, the CCTV is edited and which doesn't tell the full story.

A woman was stripped and got sat on by a lot of officers. How can that ever be edited to look ok and one of those things?

CCTV was there and they were over the top, if a parent would have done that to a naughty child they would be locked up.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Photo cropping isn't. There's thousands of stills in the clip to form a video. No zoom, no cropping. lf the police were so sure they were right there would've been a defence in court. Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't but outcome was the same ... charges were dropped, name cleared. You dispute courts decision?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't make it right though. I personally would never have done that. even if my job depended on it. I would feel like a perv after doing it.

You are obviously not very old.

A large majority of deaths in police custody are due to people not being searched properly and then doing themselves harm.

What option would you rather take.A.) Explaining in court why you took part in a strip search of a female.
    B.)Explaining in court why you didnt find the razor blade in the females bra strap which she then slit her wrist with? And believe me it does happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Photo cropping isn't. There's thousands of stills in the clip to form a video. No zoom, no cropping. lf the police were so sure they were right there would've been a defence in court. Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't but outcome was the same ... charges were dropped, name cleared. You dispute courts decision?

I don't dispute the police were in the wrong, yes they were heavy handed but all these types of CCTV clips show only part of what happens.
    You can see her being confrontational, pointing at the 2 officers then it skips and she's on the floor.
    It's the heavy handedness in the CCTV that the lawyer appears to have used to get her off the charges she had against her.
  • Options
    Premium-OnionPremium-Onion Posts: 3,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tokenator wrote: »
    You are obviously not very old.

A large majority of deaths in police custody are due to people not being searched properly and then doing themselves harm.

What option would you rather take.A.) Explaining in court why you took part in a strip search of a female.
    B.)Explaining in court why you didnt find the razor blade in the females bra strap which she then slit her wrist with? And believe me it does happen.

Option B. Female officers should be doing it. Males should not be involved at any stage.

I just love how on this forum, if you don't have the same opinion as someone you either get called a troll or "not very old". I'm 34 and hold my own views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't dispute the police were in the wrong, yes they were heavy handed but all these types of CCTV clips show only part of what happens.
    You can see her being confrontational, pointing at the 2 officers then it skips and she's on the floor.
    It's the heavy handedness in the CCTV that the lawyer appears to have used to get her off the charges she had against her.

Cute but didn't the police have access to the rest of the cctv. Maybe it went wrong when she bacame a dangerous life theatening ninja?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Option B. Female officers should be doing it. Males should not be involved at any stage.

I just love how on this forum, if you don't have the same opinion as someone you either get called a troll or "not very old". I'm 34 and hold my own views.

Such are forums. ln the meantime l'm going to address the danger of razor blades in bras? :D Maybe they take prisoners teeth out too in case they tear the arteries out of their wrists with them. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes and female officers are always present.

However, they may not actually be three/four female officers available. In the world of real policing we cant just chuck a person in a cell without searching them. Although I would be all ears for your suggestion in cases where violent females are refusig to be searched and when there are not enough female officers available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Such are forums. ln the meantime l'm going to address the danger of razor blades in bras? :D Maybe they take prisoners teeth out too in case they tear the arteries out of their wrists with them. :)

All joking aside. The places we have found things on people when searching them is mind-boggling.

Also in police custody we get an awful lot of self harmers, who carry small razor blades on them as a matter of course. A lot of the time they dont want to hurt other people, just themselves. It is an all too regular occurance and mainly due to lax officers not searching people properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All joking aside. The places we have found things on people when searching them is mind-boggling.

Also in police custody we get an awful lot of self harmers, who carry small razor blades on them as a matter of course. A lot of the time they dont want to hurt other people, just themselves. It is an all too regular occurance and mainly due to lax officers not searching people properly.

This hairdresser didn't need to self-harm, she had someone else to do it for her ... 4 in fact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This video was shown during basic training. Watch from three minutes. Whatever the rights and wrongs are people need to be searched fully http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4H9I9FNCA.

Ultimatly I want to get home a night and I want to keep my job. If someone kills themselves in police custody and the reason you give for not searching properly is that I would feel like a "perv". You will be saying goodbye to your job.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some shifts only have a single female officer, others have dozens, it varies by force, station, and relief.
    If a relief has a dozen officers when fully staffed (i.e. not minimum staffing), and two of those are female, where do the other 2 female officers to get to the magic 4 come from? Thin air?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This video was shown during basic training. Watch from three minutes. Whatever the rights and wrongs are people need to be searched fully http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs4H9I9FNCA.

Ultimatly I want to get home a night and I want to keep my job. If someone kills themselves in police custody and the reason you give for not searching properly is that I would feel like a "perv". You will be saying goodbye to your job.

I would rather lose my job TBH than do what those police officers did.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Oh come on, you really don't find anything disturbing about the treatment of this hairdresser? To leave her handcuffed,leg restraints and lying on the floor? l tell you, if that had been my daughter l would want justice in the courts. lf l didn't get it there ... l'd get it at some point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on, you really don't find anything disturbing about the treatment of this hairdresser? To leave her handcuffed,leg restraints and lying on the floor? l tell you, if that had been my daughter l would want justice in the courts. lf l didn't get it there ... l'd get it at some point.

I agree with you. Even this thread makes me angry.
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But in court the whole tape must have been available, together with the testimony of the woman, and the police, and she was still cleared, so the evidence must have been in her favor.

I trmember some years ago the police burst into a woman's flat, looking for her boyfriend, while she was in the shower. They grabbed her and marched her wet and naked outside to the waiting car, she protesting and asking to be allowed some clothes. She finally bit a policeman. Having found nothing against her, all they could charge her with was "Assaulting an Officer", which was thrown out of court by the judge who felt that under the circumstances her resistance was understandable. THe woman was a ballet dancer, so she was pretty slight, and hardly a threat to male officers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but it certainly doesn't stop it as people just become accustomed to them being there,

Who do you think is watching all of these cameras, and do you think they care that much in their minimum wage jobs? A camera is only effective if someone is watching the output at the time. How how much is being recorded to a quality where anyone can be identified afterwards? The only reason that Crimewatch doesn't have 1000s of pictures of people who commit crimes is that 99.99% of the recorded footage is unusable (quality wise).

Despite all the cameras, and judging by the figures, they haven't deterred shop lifting. They haven't PREVENTED any terrorism (after many thousands of man hours trawling through the tapes the perpetrators are maybe identified afterwards). They haven't stopped many hundreds of thousands of people from speeding.
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just because that's all the footage we see doesn't mean the court haven't seen it all, they dropped the charges, says it all really.

There was no need to go in and use the incorrect restraints and in such a violent manner just because she asked to phone her mum. She was locked in a cell and not assaulting anyone at that moment, purely nasty cops; though not all are like that, I've met plenty of nice ones and been helped home by some when I was stupidly drunk and walking home, sadly council tax and areas seems to play a big part in the service you get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    camer wrote: »
    Hate to disagree but a male officer is only allowed to restrain a suspect until a female officer becomes available, a male officer cannot legally search a female not even her coat pockets and they are certainly not allowed to strip a female as seen in the video, it is illegal .

You are incorrect. Male officers can restrain female detainees.
    A male officer can under certain circumstances search a female detainee (yes, even her coat pockets). There is nothing in statute to say otherwise.
    PACE codes of practice (code A & C) cover this and are exactly what they say - best practice, which is not always an option, especially with a non compliant violent detainee with the potential to harm themselves or others.

A male officer cannot however be present during a strip search of a female, even if she requests it.