Birds of a Feather ITV Series 2.

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode. Birds of a Feather has always been about gentle laughs rather than rolling-on-the-floor. I'm not sure if we need another child of the Birds cropping up but Naomi looks interesting - more so than Garth - even though she only appeared for one scene. I guess Travis' strop was for one episode only but I liked Tracey's revenge. :D
  • JoshuaRyJoshuaRy Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Last weeks episode was brilliant. I haven't watched tonights episode but from what I hear theres a bit of a twist in terms of Dorien's character. From what I've read it seems like they've just done it for the sake of it. But hopefully it is played out well.

One thing I HAVE to say about this series is the appalling scheduling by ITV. For the third week in a row now its been up against HUGE competition from BBC One. Tonight was EastEnders, last week was Miranda and the week before was something else.

Have ITV given up on the show, or did they just expect the series to be a huge ratings winner? It would seem not. I can't imagine that it'll be axed but I do think ratings will stay around 3m.

ITV really need to move it into a better slot for series 3 and they need to promote it a lot more. It's still a funny show and the trio work so well.
  • Tele_addictTele_addict Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not as good as the original series. I think it could be as good, but being on ITV and the adverts make the episode just over 20 mins. There's no time to develop a good plot like there was on BBC one. As soon as you get into it, it's over! I remember they used to have hour long specials which were really good. I really wish that it was back on bbc one. ITV have cheapened it.
  • Tombo60Tombo60 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was such an emotional episode, I loved it. I hope we get to see Naomi in the future.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tombo60 wrote: »
    It was such an emotional episode, I loved it. I hope we get to see Naomi in the future.

Frances Ruffelle (Naomi) is in three episodes this series.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JoshuaRy wrote: »
    Last weeks episode was brilliant. I haven't watched tonights episode but from what I hear theres a bit of a twist in terms of Dorien's character. From what I've read it seems like they've just done it for the sake of it. But hopefully it is played out well.

One thing I HAVE to say about this series is the appalling scheduling by ITV. For the third week in a row now its been up against HUGE competition from BBC One. Tonight was EastEnders, last week was Miranda and the week before was something else.

Have ITV given up on the show, or did they just expect the series to be a huge ratings winner? It would seem not. I can't imagine that it'll be axed but I do think ratings will stay around 3m.

ITV really need to move it into a better slot for series 3 and they need to promote it a lot more. It's still a funny show and the trio work so well.

They've had a bit of a bad luck in that this week and on 22nd January BBC One have moved EastEnders to clash with Birds of a Feather - ITV didn't expect it to be there. The only option with episode two was to air it on a different day. Episode One might have done better with a stronger lead in.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lovely no Garth.
    the major hole when they mention Garthy went to boarding school. Given his current mannerisms was that borstal ? I expected him to turn up in the 9pm show ;)
    it was much more watchable tonight very emotional I think they handled the fact dorien had a child the best they could considering in the old series she stated over and how she never had a child and glad she didn't as it would ruin her figure etc.

but suspect its going to get slaughtered up against East Enders
  • jboy2k8jboy2k8 Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed tonight's episode, much better than last weeks. it was nice for them to show that's it's not always about laugh out loud moments, but also those nice moments, eight light humor.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My favourite episode so far. Mostly because for the majority of the time it was just the 3 leading ladies sat about talking. Just how I remember the original. :)

Agree with others about the scheduling. I think this is the second time it has been up against Eastenders.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent episode. Funny and touching.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    oathy wrote: »
    it was much more watchable tonight very emotional I think they handled the fact dorien had a child the best they could considering in the old series she stated over and how she never had a child and glad she didn't as it would ruin her figure etc.

She did say in one episode that she would have liked to have had one but couldn't for medical reasons (Maybe if they bring it back up they could say due to compilations with the pregnancy/birth she couldn't have another one?)

Guess that makes last nights all the more sad the one she did have she gave up
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed last nights episode but can anyone tell me why Travis was acting like an idiot? He's not normally like that
  • Sally77Sally77 Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't watched last nights episode yet go it to watch on Sky+.

I was a massive fan of the original series and still watch it on Drama channel when I can in the afternoon. I know we shouldn't compare as people grow up etc but this new series I just can't enjoy that much, I am cringing more than anything.

They seem to remember the characters way except Garth!! Original Garth was intelligent, and last week they made him out to be stupid, and have they forgotten that he got married to Kimberly and they had a child together??!! If they make new series of old shows they do need to get things right.
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    icanboogie wrote: »
    I really enjoyed last nights episode but can anyone tell me why Travis was acting like an idiot? He's not normally like that

I don't think he was being an idiot; more just a normal, self-centered teenage boy. The scenes with him and Tracey underlined the episode theme of motherhood.

I know the Dorien storyline was a total retcon, but I thought it was very nicely written and acted.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    I don't remember Garthy being so stupid in the 90s. He used to come across quite mature too. This one acts too much like a immature fool.
    I loved the emotional ending.
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    lea_uk wrote: »
    I don't remember Garthy being so stupid in the 90s. He used to come across quite mature too. This one acts too much like a immature fool.
    I loved the emotional ending.

He wasn't even this stupid in the last series never mind the 90s lol.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,639
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Agreed, back to similar quality of the last series.

It's strange as they did an episode of. It Going Out on a plane for the series that's just ended and that was the worst episode of the run. Seems sitcoms on planes don't work.

That episode was awful. I think I only laughed once during it.
  • Dan100Dan100 Posts: 2,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise it was Frances Ruffelle of Eurovision fame.

The Travis storyline was a waste of time. Oh yeah, my son's not normal so stroppy but I'll humiliate him until he says sorry instead of finding out why. Just more of Tracey's depressive/oppressive character,
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant episode, top notch. Why couldn't the 1st have been this good and the it might not have struggled so.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    I don't think he was being an idiot; more just a normal, self-centered teenage boy. The scenes with him and Tracey underlined the episode theme of motherhood.

I know the Dorien storyline was a total retcon, but I thought it was very nicely written and acted.

I agree.

It was also nice to have a rare scene with Sharon & Dorien where Sharon didn't take the piss (when Dorien was waiting for her daughter at the window) I was waiting for the punchline, but thankfully it didn't come. Was nice to see. :)
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone watch this week? Loved France's Ruffelle as Naomi. Also a bonus having Kate Williams in it as Vera. I hope we get to see her again.
  • comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Thursdays episode great guest stars and a fun episode to watch
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Sally77 wrote: »
    I haven't watched last nights episode yet go it to watch on Sky+.

I was a massive fan of the original series and still watch it on Drama channel when I can in the afternoon. I know we shouldn't compare as people grow up etc but this new series I just can't enjoy that much, I am cringing more than anything.

They seem to remember the characters way except Garth!! Original Garth was intelligent, and last week they made him out to be stupid, and have they forgotten that he got married to Kimberly and they had a child together??!! If they make new series of old shows they do need to get things right.

I was a big fan of the original series and the new one is ok, but not a patch on the old one.
    Totally agree regarding Garth. One line could solve the mystery regarding Kimberly and baby!
  • ravensboroughravensborough Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I thought Thursday's episode was the funniest one this series so far. I really liked the whole Pearly Queen sub-plot and Dorian coming to terms with having a 50 year old daughter was great fun!
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Thursday's episode was the funniest one this series so far. I really liked the whole Pearly Queen sub-plot and Dorian coming to terms with having a 50 year old daughter was great fun!

I enjoyed it too, it was a bit more like the old days.