Options

Worlds toughest jobs - 6/6 Forestry

justannejustanne Posts: 723
Forum Member
✭✭
"Three young Brits desperate to sort out their lives and their bank balances sign up to work in the Canadian wilderness."

Just caught this one.....I'm gobsmacked at the attitude of that stupid girl.

I have to watch this, just to see how long she lasts.....in a logging camp, and she's in a black dress, heavy make up, false eyelashes, false nails, carrying an umbrella....and she and the other two boys have to put up their tents before dark, or they'll be sleeping in the open.

They are there to plant new trees to replace the ones cut down by loggers. They can make big money....but only if they do the work properly, and fast.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ye gods, what a useless bunch.
  • Options
    TheGraduate2012TheGraduate2012 Posts: 14,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funny how all these pampered brats have "confidence issues" and are "fussy eaters". No they're just spoilt by their inadequate parents.
  • Options
    EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shannon, the one with the false eyelashes and umbrella. :o I couldn't believe how she behaved in her salon. Her mum needs to have a word with the little princess and take her down a peg or five. Bone idle with a massive sense of entitlement and mouth like a docker. I was impressed when she planted 700 trees on one day, but still she gave up and went home.

Kieran seemed likeable but was never going to make it with such a negative attitude. He put in even less effort than Shannon.

Danny from Leeds was a good sort and will benefit the most from this opportunity.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EuanMebabe wrote: »
    Shannon, the one with the false eyelashes and umbrella. :o I couldn't believe how she behaved in her salon. Her mum needs to have a word with the little princess and take her down a peg or five. Bone idle with a massive sense of entitlement and mouth like a docker. I was impressed when she planted 700 trees on one day, but still she gave up and went home.

Kieran seemed likeable but was never going to make it with such a negative attitude. He put in even less effort than Shannon.

Danny from Leeds was a good sort and will benefit the most from this opportunity.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Agreed. Kieran had real confidence problems, and I don't think such an environment would do him any good. Glad to see at the end that he had finally moved out of his parents' home. His eating problems need professional help, as does his low self confidence.

Danny has no problems, really, he's not averse to working hard, he just needs to find something that will enthuse him with that joy of life that he clearly has out of work.

As for shannon, I hope to goodness she sticks to her promise to work harder,and grow up.

Unfortunately, this was the last in the series, and I only saw one other, when three were sent to USA to work on a small fishing boat. I would liked to have seen the others. Going to see if they are on iplayer.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually think this was the weakest episode of the series.

All three of them were unlikeable characters. That Danny needs to sort out his foul mouth as well. He was quick to have a go at the others for leaving, the upped and left a week after.

I hope this show makes a return.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    An enjoyable series. Usually there is one of the 3 Brits who is likeable, but this last episode was an exception.

Seems each episode must include a lazy airhead (fake tan, fake eyelashes, hair extensions, low IQ, usually required), a weedy guy whose been bullied (being overly camp will help get you on the show), and 1 person who stands a chance of possibly doing ok.

This episode featured 3 very lazy, ignorant, spoilt brats.

Really interesting to see the jobs involved in the whole series, and hats off to anyone who sticks at them and earns the money.
  • Options
    ChocolateCheeseChocolateCheese Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's shows like this that make me cringe to be British at times. :cry:
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ghostie10 wrote: »
    An enjoyable series. Usually there is one of the 3 Brits who is likeable, but this last episode was an exception.

Seems each episode must include a lazy airhead (fake tan, fake eyelashes, hair extensions, low IQ, usually required), a weedy guy whose been bullied (being overly camp will help get you on the show), and 1 person who stands a chance of possibly doing ok.

This episode featured 3 very lazy, ignorant, spoilt brats.

Really interesting to see the jobs involved in the whole series, and hats off to anyone who sticks at them and earns the money.

Very true! The trios featured were no doubt put together because of their personalities. I wonder exactly how much say those taking part had in which job they took?
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    world's biggest wimps, is what they should call the show

having said i wouldn't blame them from quitting that tree planting job, that looked back breakin and head wreckin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    what a depressing episode! I saw the australia cattle ranch and the new zealand sheep shearing episodes, and yeah these do follow the formula it seems of the airhead princess, the weedy boy and the guy who seems halfway there. But in those other episodes, they all stuck through it, and learned lessons and earned some money, they were pretty positive in regards to their exprience.
    But this episode, those two just gave up. I thought the girl would maybe last abit longer as she was ok at planting but it seemed like the emo boys bad attitude rubbed off on her, cause she just was not joining in.
    The other airheads managed to let go of make up and stuff and bond with other girls, idk why she wasnt. I can only imagine its cause the emo guy was being allowed to isolate himself, so she felt she could too.
    I agree, he really needs to get his eating thing checked, i think he has quite bad depression too, seemed like he really needed alot of psych help actually, idk why his parents werent helping him go and see a doctor or anything.
    Danny was the saddest for me though, that was so depressing to hear that he gave up a week after the others left. He seemed to really like the lifestyle and people, and he was willing to put in the labor.
    I did find it sad with the other episodes that nobody stayed on at the jobs; the sheep shearing one, I really wanted the gay guy to stay cause he was so much happier, enjoying the laid back lifestyle and stuff, his life back at home seemed so depressing and his mother messing him around. Atleast he got a good job. Sad that the boxer didnt stay either, his money will go really fast.
    Tbh people really arent earning all that much on these things, you have to include taxation and exchange rate and cost of living; i mean $600 that danny earned, thats probably gonna be more like £400 once hes back in the UK, which doesnt really pay for much in the long term. £400 for 3 weeks of back breaking labor does not seem like a partically good deal to me either, but then, these jobs dont actually pay that much in reality otherwise the richest people in the world would be working stuff like this. Do you see any tree planters living in mansions? Or trawlermen driving BMWs? no you do not. Its all relative, and really these jobs are not ones u can do long term.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Don't forget they only get minimum wage tree planting until they crack the 700 plants a day mark, then it's 13 cents?? each IIRC
    I think the girl had learnt all she was going to after 2 weeks , she'd learned she didn't have it hard and given herself enough of a culture shock, for a sense of perspective.
    They didn't mention Danny getting a job offer IIRC, so he served his 3 weeks and left.

Check the profiles for wages etc.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/166wkrQzsj5hnVm8BktP2tk/give-it-a-go

The Lobster fishing 'might' be quite lucrative in UK terms, pretty sure they said the skippers were millionaires from fishing.