Harry Potter Books

Paul KellermanPaul Kellerman Posts: 513
Forum Member
✭✭
Was there anybody who DIDN'T like any of the books for some reason?

Personally I loved it!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I found towards the end, maybe the last three books they became a slog to get through at times and I wished the last page was nearer.
  • Paul KellermanPaul Kellerman Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found towards the end, maybe the last three books they became a slog to get through at times and I wished the last page was nearer.

How so?
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only read them about 2 years after the last book came out. They're okay, as far as I'm concerned. Some good ideas but poorly executed in some ways. I found the first two books very tedious, then the series picked up for the 3rd and 4th, and then the 5th was alright. By 6 and 7 I thought she'd overstretched herself in terms of complexity and hadn't paced it all that brilliantly - book 7 is horrendously complicated from what I can remember as she tried desperately to tie up every loose end. Also I felt some of the foreshadowing wasn't paid off in the end.

I'll probably re-read book 7 before the film comes out if I get a chance. Like I said, they're alright but I wouldn't include any of them in my top 50 books.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow really... I thought most people loved it!
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    I absolutely adored the first three, they were great stories. I still love the latter four but I really do think they are overlong. She really really could have done with a very good editor to work on the books with her and slim them down a bit. 600/700 pages is too long for a children's book.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I absolutely adored the first three, they were great stories. I still love the latter four but I really do think they are overlong. She really really could have done with a very good editor to work on the books with her and slim them down a bit. 600/700 pages is too long for a children's book.

The cleaning of siruies house drags on a bit,
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And generally has zilch impact on the plot.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last book was poor.

The actual "reveal" at the end was pretty good, but lasted for no more than a paragraph. The whole "Harry and co in hiding" seemed to be no more than cardboard filler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    The last book was poor.

The actual "reveal" at the end was pretty good, but lasted for no more than a paragraph. The whole "Harry and co in hiding" seemed to be no more than cardboard filler.

True!

I hated the fact Ron got seperated from them.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Actually, it is very important to the plot. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I liked them all to a certain extent I think the last 1 was longer than it needed to be there where chaqpters where they just went from place to place not achieving much but apart from that all was good with them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wilderness scenes unsettled me tbh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody got a website as to what happened after the epilogue?
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    Actually, it is very important to the plot. ;)

It is but he could have found the locket easily enough without having to go through all the nonsense about doxies and ron's warty hands etc!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I loved them up to book 6 and then they got too long for me. I found Deathly Hallows to be really boring and overrated though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 2 3 are very different to 4 5 6 7 .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    1 2 3 are very different to 4 5 6 7 .

I always feel that it is around the point of books 4 and 5 is when JK Rowling was reading and taking allow of Fans opinions on board.

Like certain relationships seem to have shifted to a more preferrable situation for the majority of the fan base.

But I could be completely wrong, it is just how I felt when reading the books.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always feel that it is around the point of books 4 and 5 is when JK Rowling was reading and taking allow of Fans opinions on board.

Like certain relationships seem to have shifted to a more preferrable situation for the majority of the fan base.

But I could be completely wrong, it is just how I felt when reading the books.

she changed some orginal key points likr arthur not dying.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Dealthy Hallows was a bit boring in the middle, there were hole bits of it where there was nothing happening except Harry and Hermione sat in a tent not speaking.

I also thought that Order of the Phoenix really needed to be edited down quite a bit, it's too long. I liked the film of that book though. I thought as well the first time I read it that Harry's character changed a lot between book 4 and 5 and I didn't enjoy it as much as I did before.

Also, I made my Mum read the books even though she wasn't that interested, and she asked me after Half Blood Prince, "so who was the Half Blood Prince then?" so I think that book must have passed her by a little bit. I thought it wasn't clear on the film who the Half Blood Prince was really or why he was.

I should say, I loved all the books though I thought they were great!
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the first 2 were Enid Blyton level reading but 3 and 4 were a bit better. Book 5 is my favourite one but I like 6 because Snape is in it so much though the plot was hackneyed. I hated 7, it was a real trudge. The Deathly Hallows weren't even mentioned until half way through and then they had no actual impact on the book's ending (unless I fell asleep by that point). Also Snape, who in my opinion was the only truly interesting character in the whole series, gets a very raw deal and doesn't get seen very often.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried to read the first when it came out, as my oldest son was the right age (and has gone on to love sci fi/fantasy).

I couldn;t get past the first chapter. Found it derivative, boring and later when I saw the films with my kids, felt Hogwarts a rip-off of Terry Pratchett's Unseen University (without the wit or intelligence) and much of the mythical content from 1960s Ladybird books of Greek myths etc. Being the same age as the writer I recognised her sources and felt she did a shallow job of patching it into the Roald Dahl style premise behind the whole thing.

Then last year my 4th son persuaded me to read Deathly Hallows. She certainly grew as a writer, eh! I thoroughly enjoyed it. But hopefully her readers will go on to discover Diskworld, and other more exciting and funny places with better drawn characters and much better dialogue! And I don;t mean that as condescendingly as it sounds, reading it back.:o

It has its value as the nursery slopes for folk who hopefully go on to read Pratchett and Tolkien. I think the last book is a million times better than the first.
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow really... I thought most people loved it!

Wow. Just wow. Kind of shows that some HP fan's believe that the whole world loves the books. They don't. I read them after my FIL said he thought I'd like them as he knows I read a LOT of fantasy the likes of Jordan, Martin, Goodkind, Eddings etc. I found HP truly awful. The characters were badly thought out and paper thin. The plots you could drive a cart through. Most of the stuff you could see coming a mile off. So no, most people do not love HP. Most true fantasy readers find it weak, insipid and lacking in depth.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think here great i dont take it too seriously
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Also, I made my Mum read the books even though she wasn't that interested, and she asked me after Half Blood Prince, "so who was the Half Blood Prince then?" so I think that book must have passed her by a little bit. I thought it wasn't clear on the film who the Half Blood Prince was really or why he was.

I should say, I loved all the books though I thought they were great!

I thought Professor Slughorn or Harry's father were the Half Blood Prince?
    Forum Member
    Wow. Just wow. Kind of shows that some HP fan's believe that the whole world loves the books. They don't. I read them after my FIL said he thought I'd like them as he knows I read a LOT of fantasy the likes of Jordan, Martin, Goodkind, Eddings etc. I found HP truly awful. The characters were badly thought out and paper thin. The plots you could drive a cart through. Most of the stuff you could see coming a mile off. So no, most people do not love HP. Most true fantasy readers find it weak, insipid and lacking in depth.

I love it when people set themselves up as the spokesperson for an entire group of people based on their own opinion. I'm a big fan of fantasy fiction and I absolutely adore Harry Potter. I love the fact that you name drop, presumably to make yourself sound informed but it actually makes you sound a little snobby.

I disagree that the characters are all badly thought out and paper thin. The plots really aren't that bad but they are children's books (which I think a lot of people lose sight of). It's unfair to compare them with the authors that you have because they are written for completely different audiences.

And of those writers you mention, they're hardly immune from criticism. David Eddings has pretty much been writing the same story now since his career began and just changing the names. Robert Jordan's stuff can get so dull that it actually makes me fall asleep. There's no such thing as a perfect author or a perfect story.

Harry Potter provides an awful lot of joy for an awful lot of people including myself. They may not be great works of fiction but they are a phenomenon and they ain't going away!