Back in time for dinner BBC2 8pm

tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am really enjoying this, did anyone see the whole family attempting to work out and then use the tin opener from the 50s?

Comments

• phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That tin opener was barbaric
  • nellieknelliek Posts: 10,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised that Health and Safety didn't step in and show them how to use the tin opener. They could be lethal even when you knew how to use them!
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A wikipedia check shows that a mechanical twist tin opener would have been around in the 50's.

Its really fascinating watching this
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    That tin opener was barbaric
    I am in my early 40s and I've used a can opener like that, well I didn't use it like that! I used it properly. :D

My family certainly still had one kicking around in the 70s if not 80s. It might take me a while for muscle memory to kick in but I could use one now.

I was amazed that the two adults had never seen one before and didn't have the faintest idea what to do with it. :o
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Feel a bit sorry for the mother having to do all that work only to get moaned at.
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get why she served the leftovers cold. A tiny bit of lard and she could have made bubble and squeak.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    The school dinner doesn't look that bad.
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Even my mother, whose family were the poorest of the poor, had eggs and rabbit and stews for supper.
  • Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    Amazing that the children had apparently never eaten liver before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Even my mother, whose family were the poorest of the poor, had eggs and rabbit and stews for supper.
    As long as the Groundsman didn't catch 'me. ;-)
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    As usual in these programmes, the woman has it the worst.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm loving this :) I was a child in the 1950's & recognise everything in this programme , including the school dinners :D
  • JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Amazing that the children had apparently never eaten liver before.
    I've never eaten liver before and never will.
  • nellieknelliek Posts: 10,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To say that you can't set a jelly without a fridge is just plain ridiculous.
    We never had a fridge, but never had any problem getting the jelly to set. Most of the time we didn't even use the cold slab.

(Cook's tip: use the minimum of cold water to melt the jelly cubes, and top up to slightly less than the required amount with cold water. :) )
  • lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2FS wrote: »
    The school dinner doesn't look that bad.

I loved school lunches in the 50s. Perhaps it was due to the fact that we were always hungry! Very few sweeis. due to rationing and things like crisps and biscuits were very rare treats.
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I am in my early 40s and I've used a can opener like that, well I didn't use it like that! I used it properly. :D

My family certainly still had one kicking around in the 70s if not 80s. It might take me a while for muscle memory to kick in but I could use one now.

I was amazed that the two adults had never seen one before and didn't have the faintest idea what to do with it. :o

I have used one years ago but didnt have the strength to puncture the tin and then move it round to cut the lid open. I can believe that people in their 40s may not have known how to use it.

Am loving the jelly and biscuit crown, hilarious
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im finding it hard to believe that no one thought to invent worktops/kitchen tables that were high enough for someone to use properly without bending double
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »

I've eaten liver & kidneys, when you're really hungry & there's nothing else, you've got no choice !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nelliek wrote: »
    To say that you can't set a jelly without a fridge is just plain ridiculous.
    We never had a fridge, but never had any problem getting the jelly to set. Most of the time we didn't even use the cold slab.
    In our house, before the days of central heating, there were days you could have set ice cream in my bedroom. :D
  • LizziLouiseLizziLouise Posts: 245
    Forum Member

Yeah I couldn't understand the adults not knowing how to use it either, I'm 31 and remember having one, didn't use it much because you seemed to need muscles like popeye to get it going but that would have been late 80s early 90s maybe even past that.
    Admittedly my mum loved it and only got a 'proper' one because she snapped it so perhaps we were just behind the times (by quite a long way)!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Woodbine wrote: »

There is nothing nicer than lambs liver and if we go out for a meal my OH would choose that over most other things.

I cook lambs liver every couple of weeks because it's economical and very good for you. We have liver and onions with mash and peas and the liver makes the most delicious gravy. Other times I cook Italian style liver with loads of tomatoes, herbs and cream. That is truly delicious.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In our house, before the days of central heating, there were days you could have set ice cream in my bedroom. :D

Same here, ice on the inside of the windows ! Us old Fogies are coming out of the woodwork now :)
  • lynwood3lynwood3 Posts: 24,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I've eaten liver & kidneys, when you're really hungry & there's nothing else, you've got no choice !

Exactly.
    Liver, heart and tripe along with stews made of fatty breast of lamb were often served for dinner in my house as a child......and we were not as poor as many.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    There is nothing nicer than lambs liver and if we go out for a meal my OH would choose that over most other things.

I cook lambs liver every couple of weeks because it's economical and very good for you. We have liver and onions with mash and peas and the liver makes the most delicious gravy. Other times I cook Italian style liver with loads of tomatoes, herbs and cream. That is truly delicious.

My OH loves all that. Personally I find liver and kidneys have a strange taste, I have never learned to like it. It makes me gag
  • ukcarterukcarter Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    We have liver and onions with mash and peas and the liver makes the most delicious gravy.

Nothing nicer to come home to from school on a cold winter's day. Now you've made me hungry.