Humming box

Does anyone else's box 'Hum' all the time, even when switched off ? Apart from that, have cured all my other issues with the help of you guys and it works just fine, THANKS. ( maybe I shouldn't have said that ) One last thing, do you think BT look at this site to address the issues raised about the problems, or are they more interested in looking at the money rolling in.:confused:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    do you mean switched off totally (unplugged) or just on standby?

The fan does click in and out sometimes and hard drive does operate when on standby
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweden wrote: »
    Does anyone else's box 'Hum' all the time, even when switched off ? Apart from that, have cured all my other issues with the help of you guys and it works just fine, THANKS. ( maybe I shouldn't have said that ) One last thing, do you think BT look at this site to address the issues raised about the problems, or are they more interested in looking at the money rolling in.:confused:

If you mean when in standby have you tried placing your hand on the top of the case to see whether the sound of the "hum" changes? Could be case resonance. For info mine is almost silent. You have to put your ear very close to the box to be able to hear anything.

Re your BT question, I've told them about this site many times so, hopefully, they do look at it. But it may just have gone in one ear and out the other :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    I got Vision for the bedroom and have to turn it off at the socket every night because of the hum. Whilst it does take some time to load up in the morning when switched on again - and the time it takes can vary from 1 to 10 minutes - I haven't experienced the problems others on here have experienced. Mind you haven't tried VOD yet, not because I'm a cheap skate but because I'm still paying Sky £43 pm for tv downstairs.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    The hard drive and fan do seem to run constantly. In my case sometimes the Vbox does resonate but moving it slightly has helped.

It seems the fan is variable speed as when performing a reboot it runs at maximum for a few seconds then slows down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Yes - its a noisy devil. i am forever switching it off at the plug.

Don't know if thats just standard for HD recorders though.

I am considering a cabinet to shut it away in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 465
    Forum Member
    I have just got the VBox installed in my room and I am also finding it very noisy! I will try touching the case later but if not I think I am going to have to switch it off at the plug too because it is so loud I cannot sleep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebsta wrote: »
    I have just got the VBox installed in my room and I am also finding it very noisy! I will try touching the case later but if not I think I am going to have to switch it off at the plug too because it is so loud I cannot sleep.

After I "fixed" my noisy box by giving it a squeeze and a twist (hold the bottom left and top right and push together) it stopped my resonating problems. But it would still be too noisy for me to sleep in the same room. It's a shame they don't have a proper power off option (obviously one that wakes it's self up for the next scheduled recording) - I realise there's the argument that a constantly spinning disk has a longer life span, but surely it's a waste of electricity and it's certainly not silent.

I really don't like just pulling the power cable - but on the occasions where our living room has become a guest room, that's exactly what I do.
  • paulbeattie87paulbeattie87 Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah my vision box hums it's the hard drive going away in the background. When you put your Vision box into stand by nothing happens apart from they have set the Video stream to output a black picture.

Its not good for any of the components inside the box but at the end of the day when you call up BT Vision to cancel your subscription as your Vision box as went AOT you will most likely get a free one. It's very dodgy just leaving everything on like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    minusdot wrote: »
    It's a shame they don't have a proper power off option (obviously one that wakes it's self up for the next scheduled recording) - I realise there's the argument that a constantly spinning disk has a longer life span, but surely it's a waste of electricity and it's certainly not silent.

There's no reason why BT can't do this as part of a firmware upgrade. There seems little point in having the standby button if all it does is change the light from green to orange :rolleyes:
  • Kevin1960Kevin1960 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    I bought a freeview pvr at the weekend which had a sort of vibrating noise - a bit like a car in the distance with the engine running. I sat the pvr on a folded up tea towel and it stopped the vibration; you could try that with your box ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    DMLM wrote: »
    Yes - its a noisy devil. i am forever switching it off at the plug.

Don't know if thats just standard for HD recorders though.

No, it's not standard. I have a Humax PVR that is completely silent when in standby (and even when it's on, it's a lot quieter than the BT Vision box).

I've had the BT box for a week and the only real opinion I have formed about it is -- it's so noisy.

There is serious case resonance, which as others say you can reduce to a certain extent -- I stick a phone book on top of it. And the fan is absurdly loud for a set top box.

My wife, who does not normally notice these things, complained about the noise from the box last night -- and we're sitting some distance away in a fairly large room. I unplug the box when I'm not using it, which is silly.

Worst of all though, is just how "ungreen" this is. As others have said, the only difference between on and standby is that the box outputs a black signal when in standby. The hard drive keeps spinning, the fan keeps going.

From what I've read elsewhere about power consumption by hard drives etc, I'd guess that the BT box is using anything up to 20 watts in "standby".

That's unforgivable. And completely unnecessary. My Humax box will happily wake itself from a proper standby to make any scheduled recordings. For me, this is by far the most pressing problem for the BT team.

EDIT: Actually, having thought about this logically for a moment, the box will presumably use the same power whether it's on or in standby. The tech specs in the user guide don't give power consumption figures. Does anyone know them? I want to take this issue up with BY as soon as I can.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, the V-Box is the noisiest PVR I've had (I've a TiVo and a Sky+ box), and I agree about the wastefulness of it too, with regard to power consumption. Maybe that will change in the future though? Remember, we are all still beta testing it!!!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As well as Vision I have an Evesham 160 PVR which is silent. It is not a patch on Vision Technichally. Although Dual tuner only records one channel. Epg is poor to.http://images.digitalspy.co.uk/forum/smilies/frown.gif
    :(

I bought it as at the time Vision had not been released.http://images.digitalspy.co.uk/forum/smilies/rolleyes.gif
    :rolleyes: As soon as I did that Vision was released. As I was offered it free, I took it. Vision is far superior technically but Noisy and less reliable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    killeenjd wrote: »
    EDIT: Actually, having thought about this logically for a moment, the box will presumably use the same power whether it's on or in standby. The tech specs in the user guide don't give power consumption figures. Does anyone know them? I want to take this issue up with BY as soon as I can.
    I've raised this subject on another BT Vision forum: http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1185019381
    Here you'll a few links of interest including the OEM V-box tech specs, BT's environmental policy commitments, and a power consumption report from the Energy Saving Trust.
    Forum Member
    Angrycat -- thank you. For those not interested enough to click the link, Philips' official spec for the box says power consumption is about 25 watts, so I was underestimating..

Someone in the linked thread used a power meter to measure consumption, and found there was little difference between power consumed whether "on" or in standby.

Something Must Be Done....
  • wwwebberwwwebber Posts: 3,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I opened up my box and disconnected the case fan. It's been running nice and quiet since January.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pointless standby mode that. It's even more criminal not to power down the hard-drive, it's going to wear out much faster.

Poor design and something easily fixed in firmware, surely?
  • foxkillafoxkilla Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Gizmo wrote: »
    Pointless standby mode that. It's even more criminal not to power down the hard-drive, it's going to wear out much faster.

Poor design and something easily fixed in firmware, surely?

this is not poor design, hard drives last longer when in continuous use, this is a fact,

and i for one prefer my box to be on all the time

if you don't want yours on then pull the plug....

if you want to save the planet diconnect yourself from the mains supply.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I have a sony pvr and that hums like a nighting gale in song.
    Compaire the Vbox and it is quite.

Until they get rid of moving parts i.e hard drives and fans and the technology for large amounts of data storage in solid state is down to the every consumer and affordable then I am affraid there is going to be some sort of noise.
    Forum Member
    villas123 wrote: »
    Until they get rid of moving parts i.e hard drives and fans and the technology for large amounts of data storage in solid state is down to the every consumer and affordable then I am affraid there is going to be some sort of noise.

Ain't necessarily so. The Humax box I referred to above is very quiet. If you're very close and listen carefully you can just about hear it writing to the hard drive. There doesn't seem to be a fan, or if there is, it's very quiet indeed. And standby is proper standby, and completely silent.

So it can be done. It's just a matter of good design and good components. There's no excuse for the noise the Vision box makes, or the fact that its standby is not standby. It's just poor product design.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    killeenjd wrote: »
    Ain't necessarily so. The Humax box I referred to above is very quiet. If you're very close and listen carefully you can just about hear it writing to the hard drive. There doesn't seem to be a fan, or if there is, it's very quiet indeed. And standby is proper standby, and completely silent.

So it can be done. It's just a matter of good design and good components. There's no excuse for the noise the Vision box makes, or the fact that its standby is not standby. It's just poor product design.

The noise is the price you pay for it being able to record whilst on standby mode. Disk has to run and I assume needs fan.

Bigger fault to me is boot time if you switch it off at mains, as I do with my Evesham PVR.
    Forum Member
    worrall98 wrote: »
    The noise is the price you pay for it being able to record whilst on standby mode.

But that's just it, it's not necessary. The Humax wakes itself from "proper" standby a minute before a scheduled recording. That's how it should be done.

And if you're referring to the PVR's ability to record whatever channel it's tuned in to, whether or not you're actually doing a scheduled recording, I believe that the Vision box does not do this while on standby -- it's one of the few features that actually gets switched off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    foxkilla wrote: »
    this is not poor design, hard drives last longer when in continuous use, this is a fact,

and i for one prefer my box to be on all the time

if you don't want yours on then pull the plug....

if you want to save the planet diconnect yourself from the mains supply.:D

I doubt that one spin-up/spin-down cycle per day will adversely affect the longevity of the HD - but switching the box off when it may not even have a power-down cycle is more than likely to damage it!

Irrespective of 'green' issues I do not like consuming energy needlessly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I turned my over and push on it once and it is now quite. Thank you all, excellent tips on here. :D