Options

Sky to buy Amstrad for £125m

hdfanhdfan Posts: 1,277
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Broadcaster BSkyB has struck a deal to buy television set-top box maker Amstrad for about £125m.
Amstrad, which was founded by star of BBC1's The Apprentice, Sir Alan Sugar, supplies about 30% of the set-top box devices for Sky.

Orders from the broadcaster made up about 75% of Amstrad's sales in the year to the end of June.

Sky said that the deal meant they could now design their products in-house and be more innovative.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6923517.stm

Comments

• Options
    rai unorai uno Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BSkyB and Amstrad should be a good match for each other ;)
  • Options
    ian-dian-d Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been on the cards for a long time, but not so good for Pace when they slowly get pushed off the scene, especially after recent bust ups will still be fresh in the mind!

Hopefully they will be able to sort out the reliability and finally launch the next generation Sky+ and HD box.
  • Options
    gillwgillw Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great - so in the future we will all get Amstrad boxes.....:cry:
  • Options
    hdfanhdfan Posts: 1,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ian-d wrote: »
    not so good for Pace when they slowly get pushed off the scene

They'll still have the free to air market and the hard drive recorders. Haven't Pace enjoyed a recent boom in the market? You are right though, not looking good for them in relation to this.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't know where to put this so I thought that I would put it here as its a Sky related article :)
    Sir Alan Sugar's Amstrad group has accepted terms of £125m takeover bid from BSkyB in a deal that will see the star of The Apprentice collect £34.5m.

The 150p a share cash offer, which took the market by surprise this morning, has been accepted by the board of Amstrad including founder Sir Alan, who holds 27.5% of the company.

Sir Alan, who last month collected £25m when he sold his stake in Tottenham Hotspur football club, will stay on to run the business under its new owners.

Source and more http://media.guardian.co.uk/city/story/0,,2138370,00.html
  • Options
    wod1wod1 Posts: 6,152
    Forum Member
    great so thats going to be the only make of sky receiver we'll get option of as it will be cheaper for sky as i've never liked amstrad products
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    Might be interesting actually.

If Pace lose out on making Sky/Sky+/SkyHD boxes, will they turn to FTA satellite boxes?

If eventually C4 and C5 become FTA on satellite then there might well be a significant market for FTA satellite boxes, particularly PVR and/or HD versions that let you use the PVR or HD functions without a subscription.

That in turn would put a bit of pressure on Sky and particularly on their lower end subscription packages.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    The Amstrad PVR'3s (recent ones anyway) have been rather good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    They'll still have the free to air market and the hard drive recorders. Haven't Pace enjoyed a recent boom in the market? You are right though, not looking good for them in relation to this.

Sky aren't the only fish in the sea for Pace, apart from making FTA stuff they also make boxes for DirecTV in the US, which has twice the number of subscribers as Sky. Sure losing Sky will have hurt them but its not doom and gloom for Pace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Don't know if this is the right place for this
    My brother had Sky+ installed on Sat, And the Sky Engineer said Sky have signed a deal with Sony to do HD boxes..? don't know how true this is but he did seem to know what he was on about.

As for the amstrad deal will this mean the amstrad boxes will improve from now on?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ForestGump wrote: »

As for the amstrad deal will this mean the amstrad boxes will improve from now on?

They have anyway, Amstrad PVR3's latest batch is very good. Just in time for this take over!
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    rai uno wrote: »

Why have you linked back to this thread?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't.

The Threads have been merged since that Post :)

(Duplicate starting with what is now Post #6)
  • Options
    moorakermooraker Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    gillw wrote: »
    Great - so in the future we will all get Amstrad boxes.....:cry:

I have never had an Amstrad - only Had Pace Sky/Sky+ and Thomson HD, but you only have to read the thread on Amstrad & Thomson historically to see the dissatisfaction with them compared with Pace.

So my intial reaction was 'hope when my Thomson HD packs up I don't get an Amstrad replacement' , but reading some postings here perhaps there has been a recent upswing in reliablity etc with Amstrad boxes so :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This acquisition makes a lot of sense but Sky had better insist Amstrad don't do their usual cost cutting when designing new boxes or they will need to build another call centre to deal with all the extra calls!
  • Options
    TopovTopov Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    Sky to buy Amstrad for £125m

Of course you just know it'll stop working a few days after the warranty runs out...
  • Options
    wod1wod1 Posts: 6,152
    Forum Member
    thats not so as my sky receivers have been working for over 3 years but they aren't amstrad ones lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thewod_uk wrote: »
    thats not so as my sky receivers have been working for over 3 years but they aren't amstrad ones lol

My Amstrad PVR was flawless for the 3 years i had it. Only 3 failed recordings, same hard drive as my Uncles' Pace PVR 2, just as quick, and with slightly better picture quality.
  • Options
    philybphilyb Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my old amstrad sky + pvr 2 work great hardly ever had any problems with it.
  • Options
    Rab CRab C Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't really say that Amstrad build crap Sky+ boxes.

In terms of the hardware design it is a pretty standard. ST Microelectronics 'STB on a chip', power supply, memory, hardware interface electronics, hard disk, tuners, etc.

It is down to the firmware being rock solid that usually gives a box a bad name. If all development is in house the loop is much quicker between the guys doing the hardware/firmware and the people who did the spec and the in house testers.

i.e. if a tester has a probem he could ultimately go direct to the people who designed the circuit board if need be rather than going through offical customer/supplier channels to narrow the fault down.
  • Options
    Captain WCaptain W Posts: 4,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with many posters on the fact that recently the boxes have been more reliable (when my Mum and Dads Sky+ was fitted I tried haggling with the engineer but Amstrad was all he had). Give it it's due - no problems what so ever in 19 months.

I did wonder what that bond was going to be used for when they posted the press release a few months back..................and why the Amstrad HD box hadn't been launched sooner. Hopefully it does make sense and reliability becomes true reliability from a Sky product rather than pure pot luck.
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky own the STB software
    Sky Own the EPG
    Sky Own the Channels
    Sky now own the STB

It is like a completly self contained sky empire
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Sky own the STB software
    Sky Own the EPG
    Sky Own the Channels
    Sky now own the STB

It is like a completely self contained sky empire

to be honest i wouldn't be surprised if that was there plan from day 1. ;)

and don't forget that now most sky installers work for sky now and not 3rd party install companies. lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    Sky Own the Channels

Sky own only a small proportion of the Channels on 28E.