Options

Doc Martin (Part 13 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    Thank you so much. It is all so clear to me now.

Is the powder room under the stairs?

I didn't realize there was a fireplace in his office. When do we see it?

We see the fireplace in the consulting room many times. Pick a scene and look behind whatever patient is there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but I rewatched the Series Four finale and was struck again by Martin's inability to understand the financial pressures of his patients.

In this episode, it's Tommy (of Tommy's Taxis, despite there being only one as Pauline points out). Doc Martin advises Tommy to lie down in a dark room when he has one of his headaches. Tommy explains that he can't afford to stop working. Later, he tries to show the Doc that sunglasses will be the equivalent of a dark room and Martin brushes him off.

I'm not arguing about the medical advice. No question that DM is correct. But as Tommy points out, not everyone has the luxury of taking time off.

But, and I thought this was a nice contrast -- Tommy, under huge financial pressures, still finds the time to bring his daughter her costume. Tommy has to work nonstop, even in pain, but his priority is his family.

I assume it was a deliberate decision to contrast the two fathers? And by the end of Series 5, Martin is that kind of father too. Struggling to balance career and family -- and putting family first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Completely off topic, but I bought a car yesterday....and named it Lucy Holmes. ;)
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    OK - here you go. Let me know if I have anything wrong :eek:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35584579@N00/7811346684/in/set-72157631115091588

Using Google Maps I measure DC's house as:

32.3 ft x 15.7 ft.

addition on rear of the building

12.7' x 5.7 ft.

This would give the ground floor area of

579 sq ft

Upper floor

507 sq ft.

As mentioned in the various interviews with MC the house is very small. - if the floor plan was divided into 4 equal rooms they'd be roughly 11 ft x 11 ft.

Evidently the Port Wenn Effect also impacts area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemster wrote: »
    Using Google Maps I measure DC's house as:

32.3 ft x 15.7 ft.

addition on rear of the building

12.7' x 5.7 ft.

This would give the ground floor area of

579 sq ft

Upper floor

507 sq ft.

As mentioned in the various interviews with MC the house is very small. - if the floor plan was divided into 4 equal rooms they'd be roughly 11 ft x 11 ft.

Evidently the Port Wenn Effect also impacts area.

Is this correct? The house belongs to the National Health Service for use by whichever doctor is assigned to the area? But each doctor brings his/her own furnishings for the living area, but the surgery area is furnished and updated by NHS?

So we are to assume that the living/kitchen furnishings in Series 5, at least for the first couple of weeks, belong to the other doctor?
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this correct? The house belongs to the National Health Service for use by whichever doctor is assigned to the area? But each doctor brings his/her own furnishings for the living area, but the surgery area is furnished and updated by NHS?

So we are to assume that the living/kitchen furnishings in Series 5, at least for the first couple of weeks, belong to the other doctor?

I don't know about this, Bookfan, but I do remember that a for sale sign figured prominently in S1E1 from which I conclude that DM bought the building. NHS may furnish the waiting room surgery, or give him an allowance to do so. The in S1-4 is so sleek and expensive-looking and clearly DM that I really doubt they provided it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I don't know about this, Bookfan, but I do remember that a for sale sign figured prominently in S1E1 from which I conclude that DM bought the building. NHS may furnish the waiting room surgery, or give him an allowance to do so. The in S1-4 is so sleek and expensive-looking and clearly DM that I really doubt they provided it.

So did he then sell the house to the next doctor? Or rent it out, maybe?
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So did he then sell the house to the next doctor? Or rent it out, maybe?

I really have no clue. Maybe that's one of the loose ends that we can hope/expect to have tied up in S6.

I meant to say sleek and expensive looking DESK in previous post.

The furniture in the surgery in S5 appears to be that of Dr. Dibbs. I wonder if we will see DM's furniture return from limbo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I really have no clue. Maybe that's one of the loose ends that we can hope/expect to have tied up in S6.

The furniture in the surgery in S5 appears to be that of Dr. Dibbs. I wonder if we will see DM's furniture return from limbo.

Interesting that Martin has that much available cash. He owned the apartment in London while still being able to buy the house in PW. Then he sells the apartment in London to give the cash to his miserable father -- and while owning the house in PW, is able to buy a new apartment in London (or maybe he is just renting the one where he painted the walls white?).

I'm not expecting Series 6 to give me his tax returns, but it will be interesting to see if he and Louisa decide to move to another residence, either in PW or London!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NHS may furnish the waiting room surgery, or give him an allowance to do so. The in S1-4 is so sleek and expensive-looking and clearly DM that I really doubt they provided it.

Uh huh, sure. Freudian slip? Tee hee. :eek:;):)
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, yes, yes!! Right down your list -- agree with 'em all. And no, definitely not "filler." It depends how S6 is written, but I believe the perplexing aspects of S5 will be woven into some resolution, which will make the creative decisions taken in S5 make sense. Hopefully we will then see that we could not have got "from there to here" without what we see in S5. That's why I was saying, while it would be tempting for the writers to see where the Spanish version has gone, and just to borrow ideas from that, I think they need to do their own work in isolation. We need to see an organic connection between the issues raised in S5 and the ultimate denouement in S6.

And thanks for your account of Aunt Joan's last day. It makes eminent sense. I don't think Martin would have been the one to call her though. We do see him calling her re: John Slater in S1E5, but that was S1 -- when he wore his heart more on his sleeve. He doesn't tell AJ about his engagement or about the pregnancy. He does tell her about London, but it's the ooey-gooey relationship stuff that is up Joan's alley. She's hurt he doesn't think to tell her, and I can't see that by S5 much will have changed. Like putting Sally TIshell's sweater in the bin, there is something about that eulogy, about his comment upon hearing of her death: "71 --a good age", about his comment to the lady outside the grocers: "not really, these things can come on with very little warning, especially with a poor diet and not enough exercise," that outrages us because we never get an indication that the depth of these women's care for Martin is reciprocated -- it's not even appreciated, not even noticed. I'd like to think he would call Joan with the news about the baby, but I bet you he didn't. Tosser!

Oh, come on, you can't include that utterly garish awful jumper that Mrs. T knitted in your list of how DM is not reciprocal with soft feelings. It was horrid, and one thing about loving someone else is being throughtful and getting them gifts they want. Making a bizarre jumpers which is 100% totally opposite the personality of the one you supposedly love does not really bring out my sympathy for it winding up in the trash. I think it was kind of DM to take it--he didn't say anything mean to Mrs. T or about the jumper, he suffered through the kiss, and stumbled outside. I'm surprised he held onto the sweater as long as he did. I would have thrown it in the first trash I saw! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I rewatched "Do Not Disturb," and am troubled by his treatment of Al. I've already made clear that I think his treatment of Pauline was unkind and uncalled for, but in the rewatch, I am equally appalled by his treatment of Al.

I guess because I think of Al as the quiet sleeper of a character in the Series. Brighter than one might expect upon first meeting, especially if he is with his father, but kind, thoughtful, hard-working -- an all-round good guy. Al tries to make Martin understand that the reference he has written for Pauline doesn't really reflect all that Pauline has done for the practice. And Martin literally slams the door in his face.

Now to put it in context, Martin is angry from almost the very first scene of this episode and it builds. I think he feels trapped - by his decision to move, by his relationship with Edith, by his conflicting emotions about Louisa, the baby, fatherhood, and on and on. But Martin is angry - and an angry Martin can be cruel and rude.

We've talked about the fragile side of Martin -- and perhaps all these other emotions mask that fragility -- or maybe he's learned to be rude and dismissive because he was treated that way himself -- but in this episode, the scenes with Joe Penhale, Pauline, and Al are not the result of social awkwardness, but a deliberate choice on Martin's part that he doesn't have to listen or respond appropriately to these individuals.

Not his finest hour. Perhap it is only when he makes the decision to leave the hotel, does he finally lose some of the anger?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much for sharing a bit about yourselves! We do get to know each other from the nature of our remarks, but I thought the occupations everyone supplied were fascinating. We have quite a global range of folks who like the Doc!

Attempting a quick summary:
    BiffPup (Memphis) - jack of all trades at newspaper/pub co, currently sr financial analyst
    bookfan 2 (location?) - mystery writer
    conniej (Portland) - compliance and arb analyst for VISA
    cc.cookie (Australia) - architect and horticulturalist
    largenincharge (location?) - pre-school teacher
    mazzieblue (location?) - creates complex e-books for publishing house
    mmDerdekea (Mesa, AZ) - alt medicine GP, professor at naturopathic med school
    mnsnowflake (Minnesota) - parent educator for metro sch dist
    NewPark (location?) - social science researcher ret.; clinical social worker ret.; family history researcher
    poorrichard54 (location?) - taught univ in Scotland, Canada; minister
    ShopGirl (Michigan) - former bank branch manager
    statesidefan (SoCal) - artist cum professor cum union organizer

Did I miss anyone or get something wrong? To mix a couple of international colloquiallisms: well done, y'all!
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

I thought it odd in the first pic that MC would be in a suit and PB would be in a skirt. But the second pic looks like MC is wearing the identical (or VERY similar) outfit from last year? Either way, looks like they had nice weather.

Beautiful background in that 2nd picture!
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks so much for sharing a bit about yourselves! We do get to know each other from the nature of our remarks, but I thought the occupations everyone supplied were fascinating. We have quite a global range of folks who like the Doc!

Attempting a quick summary:
    BiffPup (Memphis) - jack of all trades at newspaper/pub co, currently sr financial analyst
    bookfan 2 (location?) - mystery writer
    conniej (Portland) - compliance and arb analyst for VISA
    cc.cookie (Australia) - architect and horticulturalist
    largenincharge (location?) - pre-school teacher
    mazzieblue (location?) - creates complex e-books for publishing house
    mmDerdekea (Mesa, AZ) - alt medicine GP, professor at naturopathic med school
    mnsnowflake (Minnesota) - parent educator for metro sch dist
    NewPark (location?) - social science researcher ret.; clinical social worker ret.; family history researcher
    poorrichard54 (location?) - taught univ in Scotland, Canada; minister
    ShopGirl (Michigan) - former bank branch manager
    statesidefan (SoCal) - artist cum professor cum union organizer

Did I miss anyone or get something wrong? To mix a couple of international colloquiallisms: well done, y'all!

Thanks for putting those together statesidefan! We ARE a diverse group, eh? (I live VERY close to Canada ;))
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely off topic, but I bought a car yesterday....and named it Lucy Holmes. ;)

Love it! :):):):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Wow, in that first photo we see a lean, mean Martin Machine! :D

Yes, Mona, I thought the same thing! Isn't this the way some on the forum want the Doc to look? :):):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But does it belong to NHS? In S1 E1 DM keeps trying to yank the For Sale/Sold sign out of the ground in front of the surgery and finally gives up, saws it off, and tosses it over the cliff. So that gives us the impression that he bought the place. It gets confusing with Dr. Dibbs moves in. Is she renting from DM? She obviously didn't buy the place. After she's carted off in the ambulance, DM and LG move right in. And, yes, it's her furniture still in there in S5. I assume his furniture will reappear in S6.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, NewPark, I jumped in and responded to bookfan before I realized you had already done so. We basically said the same thing, so...great minds, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Oh, come on, you can't include that utterly garish awful jumper that Mrs. T knitted in your list of how DM is not reciprocal with soft feelings. It was horrid, and one thing about loving someone else is being throughtful and getting them gifts they want. Making a bizarre jumpers which is 100% totally opposite the personality of the one you supposedly love does not really bring out my sympathy for it winding up in the trash. I think it was kind of DM to take it--he didn't say anything mean to Mrs. T or about the jumper, he suffered through the kiss, and stumbled outside. I'm surprised he held onto the sweater as long as he did. I would have thrown it in the first trash I saw! :)

Oh, but how I wish someone in the crew, or PB, or someone with a still camera handy had talked MC into putting it on just once.
  • Options
    ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I thought it odd in the first pic that MC would be in a suit and PB would be in a skirt. But the second pic looks like MC is wearing the identical (or VERY similar) outfit from last year? Either way, looks like they had nice weather.

Beautiful background in that 2nd picture!

I'm not sure about PB but I think MC wears the jacket only when he's showing his horses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to add fuel to the fire, but I rewatched the Series Four finale and was struck again by Martin's inability to understand the financial pressures of his patients.

In this episode, it's Tommy (of Tommy's Taxis, despite there being only one as Pauline points out). Doc Martin advises Tommy to lie down in a dark room when he has one of his headaches. Tommy explains that he can't afford to stop working. Later, he tries to show the Doc that sunglasses will be the equivalent of a dark room and Martin brushes him off.

I'm not arguing about the medical advice. No question that DM is correct. But as Tommy points out, not everyone has the luxury of taking time off.

But, and I thought this was a nice contrast -- Tommy, under huge financial pressures, still finds the time to bring his daughter her costume. Tommy has to work nonstop, even in pain, but his priority is his family.

I assume it was a deliberate decision to contrast the two fathers? And by the end of Series 5, Martin is that kind of father too. Struggling to balance career and family -- and putting family first.

Could be that Tommy bringing Little Susie (ID'd that way in the credits) her costume is another of those hints the writers give DM throughout the episode. The retired fellow with the cricket ball in his pants, talking about living out his retirement alone, is another.

About the need of the villagers to work or not get paid, like Tommy and like the mothers of the sick kids in S2, I understand what several people here mean when talking about this subject. What I don't understand, though, is what you suggest as a solution. What should DM do or say when he's got a patient who needs to take time off from work for a medical reason? He can't open a daycare at the surgery. He can't tell Tommy something silly like wear sunglasses when you get a headache.

My own beloved doctor once advised me to take family leave from work for a month (I wasn't the one who was sick). I had just accepted a promotion to a vital position that could not be left empty. It was a crucial time of the year and I was new at it. I told my doctor that and all he could say was that he had no solution, just his advice that I take the time off. Well, I just couldn't do it. So I did what people do. I figured out a solution. My boss was kind enough to allow me to do a lot of the work from home even though I was new to the position. My family came through in a big way, helping out in every way they could.

So I think DM is in that same kind of position. He tells the villagers what they should do based on his diagnosis. I'm afraid it's up to them to figure out how to manage it, isn't it? DM is a doctor and gives medical advice.

Again, I do understand the point several of you have made, but I don't understand what he can do about it and I welcome more comments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »

This Biffpup is barking and howling at the first photo. I think MC has lost more weight, hasn't he? Wow, he looks yummy.

Second photo -- I wish he'd take off that hat. But the scenery behind him is amazing! I want to live there.
This discussion has been closed.