The Saturdays - Gentleman

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    shoot wrote: »
    Good lord the verse with all the name-dropping is embarrassing. "I need a Ryan Gosling, a Robert Pattinson, etc." Larry King at one point too!!??

Cringe.
    The song also features the lyrics, 'I let you taste my rainbow' and 'he already got the milk so why would he go buy the cow?' Do you think it's therefore possible that it's a tongue-in-cheek song and the lyrics aren't meant to be taken too seriously?

It's intentionally weird and funny, the lyrics haven't somehow escaped the attention of everybody involved with the release. I really like it; it has character and it's memorable. Their recent singles have been a bit too personality free and throwaway. They needed something quirky and fun to freshen things up and this is it.
  • JournalJournal Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds fantastic even after just a few plays. I could do without the name-dropping, but it isn't 'embarrassing', its actually quite clever. This track most importantly gives us something DIFFERENT from The Saturdays. As much as I loved the singles from On Your Radar, and What About Us, I was getting bored.

I don't want 'pop perfection'. Gentleman reminds me that The Saturdays can still bring something fresh to the table. Can't wait to here the official release!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind it. I think it'll grow on me.

Though I think we have some lyrics that'll full into the 'strangest lyrics category'

'He's already had the milk, so why would he go buy the cow'
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've put the single up for pre-order now, both a signed physical CD or on itunes, both seem to come with the b-side "Wildfire".
    I personally ordered my signed limited edition CD lol. I got one for What About Us so I figure I'll continue the trend for now haha.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I've just pre-ordered it. I see the B-side Wildfire is only available to those who pre-order.
  • johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it, very catchy. Just the last verse I am not a fan of, HOPE IT DOES WELL FOR THEM
  • RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girls Aloud who? As soon as they disband, The Sats storm in with a track that wouldn't have gone a miss on their '10' greatest hits album, but that's not to say that 'Gentleman' hasn't got ORIGINALITY stamped all over it.

The Saturdays have been widely criticised for the lack of progression in their music throughout their 5/6 year career. This however completely pisses on any previous track they've ever released in my opinion.

Let's not forget the absolute genius pop hits of Up, Ego, Higher and All Fired Up (noticeably all second singles) but this new track (also second single) is 100% competing to be the The Sat signature hit.

Fresh, polarising, quirky, fun, lyrically smart; all the ingredients needed for a perfect pop song. They've hit the nail on the head this time, coincidentally just in time for them to crack the big egg that is the USA.

Fans over here are probably going to be completely split between LOVE LOVE LOVE IT and HATE HATE HATE IT but that's brilliant. Strong opinions are beter then 'its alright I suppose..'

They've been campaigning for a UK number 1 single for years, they finally got that last month, here comes their second one in a row though I think
    5/5
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just pre-ordered it. I see the B-side Wildfire is only available to those who pre-order.

Oops, didn't notice that lol, yes it is, I wonder what it'll sound like....the name to me suggests a dance track in the same vein as All Fired Up but I could be totally wrong.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Oops, didn't notice that lol, yes it is, I wonder what it'll sound like....the name to me suggests a dance track in the same vein as All Fired Up but I could be totally wrong.

It probably will be a dance track but I'd say it'll be really good. The Sats' B-sides are usually very good.
  • zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    The only part about it I dislike is the name dropping celebrity mentions rap part. Without that I would give it a solid 9/10 but with that part in I give it a 7.

They will never top Higher though, that was their peak.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #49 on iTunes pre-orders already - only been up for pre-order around an hour or two. Hmm. Reaction to the single is very mixed but could this do better than we're expecting?

My only gripe with the single is the drum intro is so limp, it could have been much better and more powerful. Same with the chorus - the beat is too quiet and flat. Needed to be louder and stronger. And I wish the outro was a bit snappier, 'slamming' the song shut after it starts fading out.
  • spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their best song EVER, imo! Yes, very Girls Aloud and that's a good thing! I've always found most of The Saturdays' songs quite bland and generic (especially that awful last single of theirs) with no personality to them but this one is fun, catchy, off beat and just really enjoyable. Hilarious lyrics. Love it.
  • scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not a fan of The Saturdays at all, they have some undoubtedly great pop songs in their back catalogue (Ego, Up, Higher, What About Us etc.) but on the whole I think they're fairly awful.

HOWEVER I absolutely LOVE this song. It's so fresh and different and catchy and is one of the best tracks I've ever heard from them. I think it will grow on most people. But I loved it instantly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha I hope it does :D Am I in the minority who likes it?

No i'm with you cnbcwatcher :)

I searched for the song as soon as I heard them recording it on their E! show. Couldn't find anything other than the title, so really happy to have the full song.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I really love it!!

but I don't know how good it will work live
  • xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic song- pleased The Sats have tried such a quirky new angle. It would have been easy to stick to the generic sound of What About Us. I hope Gentleman is equally as successful to reward their risk taking.

I do agree with one of the above posters though that the section where they rap celeb names detracts from the song, however the rest is so good it more than makes up for it.
  • SpiderMan 83SpiderMan 83 Posts: 11,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its Ok but its not a No 1 song im happy they are doing something out their comfort zone though. Do think they could have sung the chorus rather then tried to rap or Spit/MC, Bust a rhyme of talk or whatever that was lol.

"Heard 'em say I need a Kanye, he ain't a gentleman, but I'll have him anyway"

Love this lol, though do i agree with those who say the name dropping was cringey.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    Girls Aloud who? As soon as they disband, The Sats storm in with a track that wouldn't have gone a miss on their '10' greatest hits album, but that's not to say that 'Gentleman' hasn't got ORIGINALITY stamped all over it.

The Saturdays have been widely criticised for the lack of progression in their music throughout their 5/6 year career. This however completely pisses on any previous track they've ever released in my opinion.

Let's not forget the absolute genius pop hits of Up, Ego, Higher and All Fired Up (noticeably all second singles) but this new track (also second single) is 100% competing to be the The Sat signature hit.

Fresh, polarising, quirky, fun, lyrically smart; all the ingredients needed for a perfect pop song. They've hit the nail on the head this time, coincidentally just in time for them to crack the big egg that is the USA.

Fans over here are probably going to be completely split between LOVE LOVE LOVE IT and HATE HATE HATE IT but that's brilliant. Strong opinions are beter then 'its alright I suppose..'

They've been campaigning for a UK number 1 single for years, they finally got that last month, here comes their second one in a row though I think

5/5

It will do as well or just a bit better as LM Hey how you doing did. 2 same type of songs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Almost everyone seems to dislike it on here, which probably means it'll end up being number one for 5 weeks and sell over a million copies lol.

No sure who you worked that out lol. If people in here don't like it then im guessing most out of this thread and in this country may not.

Can't see it doing better then WAU, no chance. Maybe in America it might.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pierson wrote: »
    The song also features the lyrics, 'I let you taste my rainbow' and 'he already got the milk so why would he go buy the cow?' Do you think it's therefore possible that it's a tongue-in-cheek song and the lyrics aren't meant to be taken too seriously?

It's intentionally weird and funny, the lyrics haven't somehow escaped the attention of everybody involved with the release. I really like it; it has character and it's memorable. Their recent singles have been a bit too personality free and throwaway. They needed something quirky and fun to freshen things up and this is it.

Edit...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pierson wrote: »

No but is it suitable for their fanbase of 6-10 year olds? Yes they may not understand it but still.

That said id happily taste their rainbows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Video teaser is here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Nkd4iGSY0

Doesn't give much away but it looks like it could be fantastic... and I doubt the teaser is even the best bit. :D Bags of presence and fierceness. I'm glad it seems more 'wacky' and creative after the damb squib that was the What About Us video. Saying that though, they're stepping it up this era and I think it's shaping up to be their best video from this teaser, behind the scenes photos/tweets etc. Think it could be a moment for them. (And yes, the make up is meant to be a bit out there and garish).

This era is all a bit strange... The Saturdays are getting it all right. :confused::p #1 single and now they're bringing it with this next single/artwork, and the video looks set to follow suit.

Can't wait for the full thing!
  • johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the teaser, thought i wouldn't!!
    But it looks good!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomi-08 wrote: »
    Video teaser is here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Nkd4iGSY0

Doesn't give much away but it looks like it could be fantastic... and I doubt the teaser is even the best bit. :D Bags of presence and fierceness. I'm glad it seems more 'wacky' and creative after the damb squib that was the What About Us video. Saying that though, they're stepping it up this era and I think it's shaping up to be their best video from this teaser, behind the scenes photos/tweets etc. Think it could be a moment for them. (And yes, the make up is meant to be a bit out there and garish).

This era is all a bit strange... The Saturdays are getting it all right. :confused::p #1 single and now they're bringing it with this next single/artwork, and the video looks set to follow suit.

Can't wait for the full thing!

What era? i mean what do you mean by this.
  • FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Surprisingly quirky summer song, agree on it sounding 'familiar' but very tongue in cheek and fun. To those saying the lyrics don't make sense, I don't recall 'Something New' making much sense either..."Down with a rhythm on another beat, gonna take that back what you said to me"