Options

New iPads - 22nd of October

Comments

• Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you think they will announce the death of the iPad 2? There is nothing wrong with the iPad 2 but we have had the 3rd, 4th, and now more than likely the 5th generation of iPads since they came out, how long will they keep selling them for? IOS 7 is pushing iPad 2 to the limit as you can see occasional lag on some animations, so doubt it would take the next iOS when it comes along.

I know the iPad 2 is popular in education as they can be had for £275 and they don't generally need retina. Maybe 3 tiers, iPad Mini, iPad and iPad with Rentina. They deffo need to get rid of that silly New IPad name, and do what they do with the mac book/ mac book airs and use the year in the model number, so although you refer to them as just a mac book air, it's a 2011 or a 2012 or a 2013 mac book air.
  • Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple already got rid of the "silly New iPad name" when it discontinued the iPad 3rd generation ("New iPad") after only half a year and replaced it with the iPad 4th generation ("iPad with Retina Display"). It was an extremely stupid name, that Apple should never have used.
  • Options
    mikey86ukmikey86uk Posts: 5,657
    Forum Member
    Think its time to upgrade from my iPad 2.

i fancy a 32GB 4G version this time.
  • Options
    Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    Apple already got rid of the "silly New iPad name" when it discontinued the iPad 3rd generation ("New iPad") after only half a year and replaced it with the iPad 4th generation ("iPad with Retina Display"). It was an extremely stupid name, that Apple should never have used.

Didn't the 3rd gen have retina display? I believe that's the reason it didn't hang around for long because the iPad 2 was still a lot cheaper to produce because of the poorer display and the 4th gen quickly replaced it when Apple started going for autumn ipad launches.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed 'The New iPad' was an extremely confusing name. I seem to recall some were capitalising on it and dumping old stock of 'the new iPad' at premium pricing, when the retina model came out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    Didn't the 3rd gen have retina display? I believe that's the reason it didn't hang around for long because the iPad 2 was still a lot cheaper to produce because of the poorer display and the 4th gen quickly replaced it when Apple started going for autumn ipad launches.

Yup, the 3rd generation iPad also had a "Retina Display".

Many people think that it was effectively just a "stop gap" model due to the "Apple A6" (used in the iPhone 5, and a variant used in the 4th generation iPad, later in 2012) not being ready in time.

The 3rd generation iPad actually struggled graphically in some areas, due to having 4x the pixels of the iPad 2 but only 2x the number of GPU cores. Some iPad games have fewer graphical effects when run at "Retina" resolution on a 3rd generation iPad compared to when run on an iPad 2, as the 3rd generation iPad could not handle the effects *and* the resolution.
    psionic wrote: »
    Agreed 'The New iPad' was an extremely confusing name. I seem to recall some were capitalising on it and dumping old stock of 'the new iPad' at premium pricing, when the retina model came out.

Yup. I'm surprised that Apple didn't anticipate the confusion from using such a stupid name.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apple are on a roll with this gold colour scheme. Expect the Gold iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 to sell for crazy money.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gold-iPad-5-and-iPad-mini-2-leak-out-there-will-be-bling-for-all_id48263
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    will ipad 4 be any cheaper once ipad 5 comes out and whats the point of getting ipad 4 if ipad 5 is the same price..
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    will ipad 4 be any cheaper once ipad 5 comes out and whats the point of getting ipad 4 if ipad 5 is the same price..

What normally happens is that the previous model (in this case the iPad 4) is sold for a lower price. However, the iPad 4 is likely to be more expensive than the current iPad 2.
  • Options
    jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it more likely that since the iPads are just given a generation name that the iPad 5 will be called the iPad 5th generation and will just replace the iPad 4th Generation

This is what happened with the iPad 3 - 4
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A new limited supply Min(if unplanned)i might be called something like 'iPad Mini Retina edition'.
    The existing Mini will simply get a 64 chip and be called 'New iPad Mini' .
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There should be event invitations going out today, probably this evening UK time if it going to happen on the 22nd.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted a retina iPad mini but my cat destroyed my macbook air by peeing it and I was not insured for accidental damage. I bought a Macbook Pro 13 inch retina display yesterday so I wont be buying a mini now as the macbook is retina and it would just be totally unnecessary to buy an iPad mini.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    Isn't it more likely that since the iPads are just given a generation name that the iPad 5 will be called the iPad 5th generation and will just replace the iPad 4th Generation

This is what happened with the iPad 3 - 4

Those are the correct names when you look at the tech info or the support pages, but they were announced and marketed as the "new iPad" and "iPad with Retina Display" respectively.
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Those are the correct names when you look at the tech info or the support pages, but they were announced and marketed as the "new iPad" and "iPad with Retina Display" respectively.
    This was the cause of MUCH confusion last time as shops did not know what to call their existing stocks of 3rd generation iPads (also with retina display) that they wanted to sell off!
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    I . I bought a Macbook Pro 13 inch retina display yesterday so I wont be buying a mini now as the macbook is retina and it would just be totally unnecessary to buy an iPad mini.

Wasn't that a bit premature with the Haswell based MBPs anticipated in the next few weeks ?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rumour is now back to Apple simply using some polyfiller (the faster 64 bit cores).
    http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/tablets/ipad-mini-tipped-again-to-shun-retina-display-1189628

Buying a batch of 1080p screens would be easier but Apple's pixel doubling probably means they have to find the time to get a supply matching the iPad 4 resolution.

"a true successor to the iPad Mini wouldn't arrive until Quarter 1 of next year."
    I doubt they even planned Q1 until that Nexus 7 arrived. With even the Hudl blowing the MIni out of the water it makes for an interesting launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    I doubt they even planned Q1 until that Nexus 7 arrived. With even the Hudl blowing the MIni out of the water.
    So you KEEP saying! You do seem obsessed with screen resolution.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I won't be buying a Mini 2 without a retina display. In fact, unless the iPad 5 is something special I will probably get an iPad 4 to replace an iPad 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    I won't be buying a Mini 2 without a retina display. In fact, unless the iPad 5 is something special I will probably get an iPad 4 to replace an iPad 1.
    As even techradar does not seem to trust its "source" on this one (noting he has been wrong before!) you may still be in luck!:D
  • Options
    GetFrodoGetFrodo Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have an iPad 1 and am praying for a decent iPad 5 without TouchID. Have seen enough new releases pass by to be able to wait a month or two post-release to get some feedback. But, most likely, come the new year... :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GetFrodo wrote: »
    I have an iPad 1 and am praying for a decent iPad 5 without TouchID. Have seen enough new releases pass by to be able to wait a month or two post-release to get some feedback. But, most likely, come the new year... :D

Why without Touch ID? It's a great addition to the iPhone 5s and totally unobtrusive. And anyway, it's completely optional. You can continue to have no security or use a passcode if you prefer.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Wasn't that a bit premature with the Haswell based MBPs anticipated in the next few weeks ?

I understand why some people wait but I desperately needed a new laptop as my cat had destroyed my old one. Laptops don't really interest me much the retina display is excellent and the macbook does everything I need and more. I'm very happy with it and would recommend the retina display to anyone.

Looking forward to seeing the new ipads hopefully the mini will have a retina display so I can get one or the ipad 5.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Apple are on a roll with this gold colour scheme. Expect the Gold iPad 5 and iPad Mini 2 to sell for crazy money.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Gold-iPad-5-and-iPad-mini-2-leak-out-there-will-be-bling-for-all_id48263

I love my iPads but damn that looks tacky as hell imo