Options

Windows 8 / 8.1 surly things could be easier?

Comments

• Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick and dirty start menu for those that miss it - which requires no third party software:

1. Right click on the Task Bar
    2. Select Toolbar > New Toolbar
    3. Enter the following path "C:\Users\Andy\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" (obviously replace Andy with your own username :p)

You should end up with a Start Menu tool bar. Just click the right chevron. Note it doesn't show everything. But you can drag things into it.

4. Repeat again with "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" (To keep it simple just do this one instead of the one above!)
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Only annoying thing i've found wrong well 2 things. Language packs appear to be missing (couldn't use the windows 8 packs said had to re-download in 8.1 and that option not available yet) and of course MSN messenger being killed (I liked that mainly for the email notification along with windows mail)
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only problem I had, was that the windows livemail programme (formerly outlook express) needed to be reinstalled.

Were all your emails and mail account settings intact after the reinstallation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were all your emails and mail account settings intact after the reinstallation?

yes. They. Were ok.

It was just a dll file that was missing, according to the error message
  • Options
    LiamCarbinLiamCarbin Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    I've just logged onto sky go to watch the F1 Show, however the pc is apparently not registered. I last used this PC to watch sky go on the 16th, the only thing that has changed is the 8.1 update. I've used up my device allocations, and have to wait till next month.

Anyone else had this problem with the 8.1 update?
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laptop is so laggy since the update. Unimpressed so far but will await an update before really laying into MS
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laptop is so laggy since the update. Unimpressed so far but will await an update before really laying into MS

So it made a quick OS into a slow OS, not good. that was the one major reason I stayed with windows 8 and did not re-install windows 7 because it was quicker.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    So it made a quick OS into a slow OS, not good. that was the one major reason I stayed with windows 8 and did not re-install windows 7 because it was quicker.

Have you rebooted yet? A few people have said the speed picks up a while after the install.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Have you rebooted yet? A few people have said the speed picks up a while after the install.

I think that comment should have been to The Wulfrunian, I have not installed windows 8.1,
    going to avoid it i think.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »

I don't think that is a universal truth....Obviously not everyone has experienced this...
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even W8 ran slower after something changed. If it stays slow after a few shutdowns then it is slow. Also the quick startup requires a shutdown. If you are restarting, it's done in a slower old fashioned way.
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Even W8 ran slower after something changed. If it stays slow after a few shutdowns then it is slow. Also the quick startup requires a shutdown. If you are restarting, it's done in a slower old fashioned way.

OK, so has it now speeded up for people, after a day of use?
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, so has it now speeded up for people, after a day of use?

Mine was slow initially after the upgrade

Today it is working the same speed as 8.0

I think it was doing some type of clean up after the upgrade, I have gained about 20GB of disc space
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Thurrott has an article on some of the problems people are having with the 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade process:
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-upgrade-woes
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well my windows 8.1 has gone tits up on the PC, will not dual boot and says the winload.exe is missing. Trying to recover a previous backed up image and then try 8.1 again.

PS: has anyone got the windows old folder after upgrading?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Well my windows 8.1 has gone tits up on the PC
    You're not praying to the God of Microsoft enough. It works perfectly for the fanboys.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    Paul Thurrott has an article on some of the problems people are having with the 8.0 to 8.1 upgrade process:
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-81-upgrade-woes

I agree with his points on getting a download, but isn't it just how things are nowadays with updates, things just update individually per machine

I update chrome and it just does it in the background, no saved file to move between machines

I do a windows update and it just downloads/installs on the machine

My BB is slow so it took a while to upgrade (multiple machines), but I would have thought many people would find this much easier than having to download files and save to media, then update
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You never had trouble upgrading a service pack on XP, vista or 7.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    psionic wrote: »
    Yep. I'm seeing that here too. IE11 reporting that Microsoft's own add-ins (Office 365 related) are incompatible. Presumably they will issue updates ASAP. They've had long enough to test compatibility with their own products!

I solved the issue of IE11 reporting incompatible add-ons by uninstalling Office 365 and reinstalling it (effectively it downloads a fresh copy) again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulsalter wrote: »
    but isn't it just how things are nowadays with updates, things just update individually per machine
    That's fine for small downloads and people with only one computer, but with 8.1 being such a megafile it would have been a good idea to offer the option to download and save the file for people who have to upgrade more than one computer.

Of course, why something which does so little should be so huge is another issue...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    That's fine for small downloads and people with only one computer, but with 8.1 being such a megafile it would have been a good idea to offer the option to download and save the file for people who have to upgrade more than one computer.

Of course, why something which does so little should be so huge is another issue...

I agree on download sizes, but what do we define as big/small

For my slow BB a small size is about 100 meg
    If I was on Fibre then it would be much bigger

Many companies now seem to assume everyone is on super fast BB, people that aren't just have to suffer it

I prefer downloads (and would have used this for 8.1) due to how long things take (tv streaming s/w downloads etc), but this option is slowly being taken away and we just have to suffer long downloads, sucks but that seems the way of life now
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well my windows 8.1 has gone tits up on the PC, will not dual boot and says the winload.exe is missing. Trying to recover a previous backed up image and then try 8.1 again.

Yes I have along with $Windows.~BT (the latter folder is also in the root directory but is hidden by default). Both folders can be deleted using Disk Cleanup then choosing Clean up system files and then Previous Windows installations from the menu.

I've also lost 350MB of my C: Drive, the partition I use to store all my system files. During the upgrade process Windows 8.1 took 350MB of the free space to use for the Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE). Although one was already on my computer (it's known as the System Reserved Partition) for Windows 8, apparently every time an upgrade happens Windows creates another System Reserved Partition. Looking in Computer / Disk Management this small partition shows as "Healthy (Recovery Partition)".

The loss of 350MB isn't the problem, what is the problem is that Windows has gone and created this partition at the end of my C: partition, before all the other partitions I created (I created a partition for system files, one to store all my documents and data, one for media files (photos, music, videos) and one for "odds and sods" such as program setup files, downloaded drivers for my computer, a place to backup things etc. By creating the recovery partition at the end of the C: drive it means I'm stuck with the C: drive being that size. If I needed to take space from what was the next partition (my documents and data partition) I can no longer do that.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You never had trouble upgrading a service pack on XP, vista or 7.
    Given the size of the update Windows 8.1 seems to be a lot more than a mere service pack update. it's almost like a clean install of a new operating system.
  • Options
    RestorerRestorer Posts: 2,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, windows.old folder is there on mine.

EDIT: well I swear it was there yesterday but njow seems to have deleted itself!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to have to do a fresh install of windows 8 on the PC as the recovery failed, can't repair it and windows says the drive is locked and I have to unlock it

This update has screwed up my PC :mad: