Windows 8 / 8.1 surly things could be easier?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    John259 wrote: »
    There seems to be some confusion over whether it will be available from the Microsoft Store or the Metro app store. I haven't seen any other reference to it being available via Windows Update.

Um, aren't the Microsoft Store and the Metro app store the same thing?

I think it's coming down in Windows Update. The preview was done via the Store.
  • John259John259 Posts: 28,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Um, aren't the Microsoft Store and the Metro app store the same thing?
    I don't know. I just tried Googling and found various instructions from different sources saying to get it from the Microsoft Store, the Windows Store, the Metro App Store or the Microsoft Retail Store.

I guess the journalists might be getting confused between the free update from 8.0, the free update from the beta test of 8.1, and the payware update from a previous version of Windows - maybe?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere it will be via Windows Store = Metro App Store. With preview you had to install an update via Windows Update that enabled the OS update, but I think now it will be seamless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Thurrott has some information about this. Looks like Microsoft have made it as complicated as they possibly can, no surprise there.
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/here-comes-windows-81
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul Thurrott has some information about this. Looks like Microsoft have made it as complicated as they possibly can, no surprise there.

It's not that complicated. If you have W8.0 it's via store otherwise you use a purchased full retail version. There's the 'trick' of purchasing W8.0 instead of W8.1 and then you can do in-place upgrade. As for W8.1 preview it was always clear you would have to reinstall the applications, only with RT an in-place upgrade to 8.1 will be possible as there's no applications to consider, only WinRT apps. May sound complicated, but it's all logical.
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    It'll be via the Store and should be easy for those with existing W8 machines...If you open the store it should inform you of the update as normal...That's how I read it....Willing to take the flak after the event if it goes tits up.....;):)
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, I heard it will be from the store, so if you don't use the metro UI or the store you will never know about it.

I am not going to rush to update to be honest, for what I use windows 8 for, it is fine as it is, I only use it for video editing and photoshop pro these days, using Mint for anything else.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hang on, Paul Thurrott is saying it's released Friday 18th.
    noise747 wrote: »
    I am not going to rush to update to be honest, for what I use windows 8 for, it is fine as it is, I only use it for video editing and photoshop pro these days, using Mint for anything else.

I will count the days until your first Windows 8.1 post :p
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Hang on, Paul Thurrott is saying it's released Friday 18th.

I will count the days until your first Windows 8.1 post :p

OK...It's released as a retail copy on the 18th but on the 17th for the update...
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    Yep, I heard it will be from the store, so if you don't use the metro UI or the store you will never know about it.

No more than they deserve.....:D;)
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microsoft have a free downloadable manual for Metro (which for some reason they call an "End User Training Brochure"). It was written for 8.0, so there might be some differences in 8.1.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=39055

Many people find Win8 as it comes is too painful to use - too difficult to learn, and too awkward to do anything with. However, there are various utilities created by other companies which fix the worst problems, typically including options to boot to desktop, disable charms, and restore the Start button and its menu. There's a list of these utilities on Wikipedia. Some are free, some require a small payment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Start_Menu_replacements_for_Windows_8

My son and I when we bought new laptops we found that using Windows 8 was so simple. I did have to download classic shell to get the start button back, but when I download 8.1 I will be switching off the metro screen as I always use the desktop more than the metro screen and apps.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    OK...It's released as a retail copy on the 18th but on the 17th for the update...

Anyone know what time the official 8.1 update will be available for W8 users? Is it a global release or a gradual release?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do we know what hour?
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midday
    Forum Member
    psionic wrote: »
    Anyone know what time the official 8.1 update will be available for W8 users? Is it a global release or a gradual release?

Yes 12.00pm in the UK.. Well, that's the plan..:)
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midday
    Yes 12.00pm in the UK.. Well, that's the plan..:)

Great. Thanks. :)
  • cooltvcooltv Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So will I get the start button back today?
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be downloading it after having used the windows 8.1 preview, do you think i will need to enter my activation code, cause if so i better write it down, just like me to get so far and then, forget it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^ I think you will need to restore your previous OS. If you did not have W8.0, you will have to purchase 8.1 RTM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cooltv wrote: »
    So will I get the start button back today?
    The Start button yes, but for the Start menu you'll still need a third-party utility.

There's some confusion about whether it will be available in the UK today (17-Oct) or tommorow.
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is it available yet in the store or windows update?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24564738
    Forum Member
    The Start button yes, but for the Start menu you'll still need a third-party utility.

There's some confusion about whether it will be available in the UK today (17-Oct) or tommorow.

No confusion.....Downloading now....
  • SnowStorm86SnowStorm86 Posts: 17,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I open Windows Store, the first item listed is Windows 8.1 Preview. Is this the update?
    Forum Member
    When I open Windows Store, the first item listed is Windows 8.1 Preview. Is this the update?

No...Close it and reopen it should be 8.1 update...not preview...
  • LeewichLeewich Posts: 1,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. The update is rolling out as of 4am PDT (7 minutes ago). It will be the final version of 8.1, not the preview which has been out for weeks.