More Merchandise Launched For 50th Anniversary

davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
Forum Member
To commemorate Doctor Who's 50th anniversary, licensed editions of Trivial Pursuit, Risk! and Top Trumps Turbo have been launched. There will also be a jigsaw.
New Doctor Who Games for 50th Anniversary!
Christian Cawley, September 2, 2013 - Merchandise - Tagged: 50th anniversary, Daleks, Doctor Who, Games, Risk, Trivial Pursuit, Winning Movies UK - 1 comment
Wow – licensed editions of Trivial Pursuit, Risk and Top Trumps Turbo launched to mark BBC Doctor Who‘s 50th anniversary!

As the world’s favourite Time Lord celebrates fifty years on TV screens, innovative games company, Winning Moves UK, is releasing a range of licensed games to help celebrate Doctor Who’s landmark half-century.

Fans of the hit BBC sci-fi drama can test their time travelling knowledge with a brand new anniversary edition of Trivial Pursuit, indulge in strategic battles between five Dalek armies in a specially reworked version of classic board game, Risk, and enjoy six exclusive new Top Trumps packs in a Doctor Who edition of Top Trumps Turbo. There’s also a 1000-piece collector’s jigsaw which has been commissioned to mark the 50th Anniversary.

Here’s a quick rundown of them again, with a few thoughts:

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Trivial Pursuit (RRP £9.99, ages 12+, available from September 2013) – a Doctor Who-themed version of the popular quiz game

Doctor Who Risk (RRP £34.99, ages 10+, available from October 2013) – a Doctor Who strategy game! At last!

Top Trumps Turbo: Doctor Who (RRP £24.99, ages 6+, available from September 2013) – after the digital Top
Trumps title of 2007, we’ve got high hopes for this one…

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Jigsaw (RRP £12.99, ages 10+, available from August 2013) – a 1000 piece jigsaw of Van Gogh’s painting of the TARDIS’ destruction.

The new Doctor Who licensed games will be available to buy on the High Street from a wide range of retailers including WH Smith, Toys R Us, Waterstones, Tesco, Asda, and John Lewis and widely available online. All products are also available to buy at www.winningmoves.co.uk and www.toptrumps.com

http://www.kasterborous.com/2013/09/new-doctor-who-games-for-50th-anniversary/

Comments

• Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Sources revealed that the BBC are considering copying KISS and releasing a Doctor Who coffin, saying " Why should death stop us raping liscence payers wallets?"
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    We pay License fee = this stuff should be free?

Sure, why not? In fact, why not produce Doctor Who using Crépe paper and PVA glue?

You don't have to buy this stuff, and the license fee doesnt fund its production nor should it. Of course you will have to pay for this stuff if you want it, all the BBC does is rubber-stamp the forms saying "yes, using the Doctor Who Brand on this product is okay, we're cool with that". That is the limit of their involvement. A percentage of the profits from such items go towards funding the show as well in case you hadn't noticed.In fact, the figures Moffat gave a couple of years ago were: £1,000,000 cost per episode; £700,000 from license fee, £300,000 from merch sales.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the point being made was that the BBC will make something they're getting extra money for, but giving the fans something they don't have to pay for (or rather, have already paid for through the TV licence) is beyond their capacity.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the point being made was that the BBC will make something they're getting extra money for, but giving the fans something they don't have to pay for (or rather, have already paid for through the TV licence) is beyond their capacity.

The LF pays for a programme to be made and broadcast a specific number of times. It also covers a small part of the infrastructure costs for any broadcast (circuits, playout at Red Bee, uplinks to satellites, monies payable to the transmitter owners, server farms etc).

It also covers a very wide range of programming across multiple genres, programming viewed and for the most part, enjoyed by all.

It does not cover the costs of manufacturing, mastering, pressing and distribution of any DVDs, nor does it cover the cost of manufacture and distribution of related merchandise or rights attached to any such merchandise. These are all decisions undertaken & covered by BBC Worldwide, which receives no LF funding whatsoever, but does return profits back to the BBC in order to supplement the LF. And as far as I know, it is BBC Worldwide that dictates whether a product is merchandised.

On a side note, I find the casual use of the term "raping" rather distasteful and somewhat insensitive in this context.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The LF pays for a programme to be made and broadcast a specific number of times. It also covers a small part of the infrastructure costs for any broadcast (circuits, playout at Red Bee, uplinks to satellites, monies payable to the transmitter owners, server farms etc).

It also covers a very wide range of programming across multiple genres, programming viewed and for the most part, enjoyed by all.

It does not cover the costs of manufacturing, mastering, pressing and distribution of any DVDs, nor does it cover the cost of manufacture and distribution of related merchandise or rights attached to any such merchandise. These are all decisions undertaken & covered by BBC Worldwide, which receives no LF funding whatsoever, but does return profits back to the BBC in order to supplement the LF. And as far as I know, it is BBC Worldwide that dictates whether a product is merchandised.

On a side note, I find the casual use of the term "raping" rather distasteful and somewhat insensitive in this context.

None of which had anything to do with my point. And I never said "raping".
    Forum Member
    I would also like to note my delight at a DW version of Risk! -- A brilliant game (and also one that was on the DW website after Rise of the Cybermen/ The Age of Steel aired. It should still be available too ;))
    Forum Member
    None of which had anything to do with my point. And I never said "raping".

No, philip Lamb did :p
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member

Don't use it then. Personally I'm more offended by actions and people thinking we should all live by their ideals.

And my previous comments were that the BBC is more concerned with shilling junk than actually making a quality shows
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of which had anything to do with my point.
    Indirectly, it does, in that it should provide more clarification around what you posted. It was intended to be neither contradictory nor adversarial
    And I never said "raping".
    You did not, that's why I said "On a side note". Perhaps it was remiss of me not to have quoted the poster directly. Sorry about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't use it then.
    I don't, but you did. My comment (an opinion which I am free to express here) was aimed at you (and anyone else reading this forum that chooses to use the same word in such an offhand and insensitive manner) - hence the "side note" precursor. Your subsequent retort says much about you I'm afraid.

Anyway, I've made my point, and as this is also off-topic, the matter is now closed as far as I am concerned.
    And my previous comments were that the BBC is more concerned with shilling junk than actually making a quality shows
    And my post actually explained that it is not the BBC that makes (and merchandises) the "shillings junk" as you call it, but BBC Worldwide, and that BBC programming budgets are quite separate.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be excited about the Trivial Pursuit but i don't think itll be much fun playing against myself. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indirectly, it does, in that it should provide more clarification around what you posted. It was intended to be neither contradictory nor adversarial

You did not, that's why I said "On a side note". Perhaps it was remiss of me not to have quoted the poster directly. Sorry about that.

No need to apologise. I'm sorry for jumping on you. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would be excited about the Trivial Pursuit but i don't think itll be much fun playing against myself. :(

But at least you'll always win. :D
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But at least you'll always win. :D

Every cloud!
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who Trivial Pursuit at £9.99? Dear God, please just take my money now!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Playing 'Risk' against yourself also tends to dull the competitive edge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    Playing 'Risk' against yourself also tends to dull the competitive edge.

I always play it by myself, but then I'm a megalomaniac with dreams of world domination, and hate competition.:eek::D
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Top Trumps game seems a bit steep.
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, I would say so too, but I don't know what Top Trumps "Turbo" is. Sounds electrical whatever it is, and given the size of the box ;)
  • rettop70rettop70 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    http://i40.tinypic.com/124inu8.jpg

A snip at £249!!:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rettop70 wrote: »

!!!!!! :eek:
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,467
    Forum Member
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    !!!!!! :eek:

That's my wife's Christmas present sorted out then! She loves teddy bears and Doctor Who. All I have to is make sure she doesn't know such a thing exists till the day.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trivial Pursuit! I played a Star Wars version with some mates, and it was great. Then again, I'll probably know many more of the answers than them when it comes to Doctor Who...
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member

That's not a bad price for a Steiff. Would be a bit steep if they intend to release one per-Doctor.

Incidentally I have my own collection of 11 Who bears made by a friend and they (IMO) have more character than the Steiff.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is that real or is it something from Viz?