Forum Member
    Errr....

pa·ro·chi·al/pəˈrōkēəl/Adjective
    1. Of or relating to a church parish.

Err...

Definition of PAROCHIAL
    1: of or relating to a church parish
    2: of or relating to a parish as a unit of local government
    3: confined or restricted as if within the borders of a parish : limited in range or scope (as to a narrow area or region) :

In the sense of the previous poster, the term parochial is defined by the text in bold above. It may not mean 'churchy' but it clearly describes a particulat AREA
  • NeladNelad Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idiot post again Nelad eh... Show is nothing parochical.... It plays music like this:
    http://video.stv.tv/bc/entertainment-fivethirty-20090320-craig-jeffrey/

Having seen the clip, I re-iterate - no wonder it was dumped.
  • dgh69dgh69 Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    On a similar note, I can see Saturday evening programming being axed on Radio Borders too. After the sport finishes at 6pm I bet they will network programmes through the night like they used to do in the very early days of Radio Borders.

6pm on a Saturday night was a sustaining service from Max AM until 7am on the Sunday morning. I bet before the end of the year these 'local' programmes will also have gone!

The Getherin' Moving to TD1 can't be all that bad, the Facebook page likes have increased by a large amount as have the comments of support for the fact that the show is still available. When you consider that TD1 provides 13 hours of programming from Galashiels on a Sunday and Radio Borders only provide 8 hours, there is something in that I'm sure.
    Forum Member
    dpb wrote: »
    You forgot to mention:

3. Narrowly restricted in scope or outlook; provincial: parochial attitudes.

Which I would say was the context of the use of the word.

That relates to Radio Borders for sure..... All they play is current hits and the odd oldie - very narrow taste in music. You can switch on any radio station and hear that type of music...
    Forum Member
    I'm not familiar with the show, but I really don't like it when radio stations do away with local programming, given the premise of "local radio". I had a wonderful time, with some really nice people at Radio Borders. In retrospect, was SRH all that bad?:confused:

SRH wasn't that bad at all no in comparison. At least the station kept is 'local' feel. Now we might as well have Radio Clyde all day as all the stations play the same music anyway. True ILR has gone forever in one sense, but at least Community stations are now doing what ILRs used to do back in the day.
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember it was Kevin Young and his 'posse' that presented Class '91.

This is making me feel old! :eek:

Correct Andrew, Class 91 was the original 'daddy' of the show. It used to be on a Monday night from 6-7pm just before programming went back to Max AM for Through The Night. I might still have the odd tape or two of it lying around somewhere..
  • Steven OliverSteven Oliver Posts: 2,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dgh69 wrote: »
    Correct Andrew, Class 91 was the original 'daddy' of the show. It used to be on a Monday night from 6-7pm just before programming went back to Max AM for Through The Night. I might still have the odd tape or two of it lying around somewhere..

,,with Kevin Young (remember him?) as the original presenter. The show's title changed with each year - I think it got up to Class 2001 before the name change to 'Wired'.

On a different note, Malcolm Thomson was sitting in for Hugh Brown this morning (as Hugh is currently sitting in for Keith Clarkson on Saturday afternoons). One of the features that Malcolm did this morning was Between the Sheets - three songs related to one of the week's news stories - which I remember him doing on The Friday File back in the early 90s, The Friday File being the Friday afternoon version of Border Magazine. I seem to remember too that Between The Sheets was also the name of Rory Macleod and Dugald Craig's Thursday evening look at the week's papers!
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    In fairness, it is pretty hard to justify a local evening show on a station like borders with such a small audience after 7pm. I'm far from convinced that Romeo's brand of waffle is the right show to network though - it sticks out like a sore thumb - and not in a good way
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    ,,with Kevin Young (remember him?) as the original presenter.

He's now working for the BBC in London.
    Forum Member
    , I seem to remember too that Between The Sheets was also the name of Rory Macleod and Dugald Craig's Thursday evening look at the week's papers!

You are correct Steven, Between The Sheets was, I'm sure the rather risque title of Rory and Dugald's chat show! I seem to recall there was a photo of them both 'naked' between a large newspaper (probably The Southern) in one of the Radio Borders birthday newspapers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are correct Steven, Between The Sheets was, I'm sure the rather risque title of Rory and Dugald's chat show! I seem to recall there was a photo of them both 'naked' between a large newspaper (probably The Southern) in one of the Radio Borders birthday newspapers.

It was the second one, I think (they did three, in 1990, 1992 and 1995). I still have these tucked away somewhere. I don't think that you'd get a show with the name "Between The Sheets" past the censors these days!
    Forum Member
    It was the second one, I think (they did three, in 1990, 1992 and 1995). I still have these tucked away somewhere. I don't think that you'd get a show with the name "Between The Sheets" past the censors these days!

Probably not no, infact I seem to remember Rod Webster (was it) being unsure about the title of the programme - didn't it change to Between The Pages?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not no, infact I seem to remember Rod Webster (was it) being unsure about the title of the programme - didn't it change to Between The Pages?

It did (and it was indeed Rod). I seem to remember Rory carried on on his own with a similar show on Saturday nights after Dugald left - Rory MacLeod All Talk.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    it has to be remembered that Bauer are in the business of making money .

Business of making money = greed!
    Forum Member
    Making money at the expense of the listener!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Making money at the expense of the listener!
    One thing I certainly don't agree with is the seemingly endless adverts for Bauer's magazines (Heat, Closer, Outdoor Fitness), websites (TickDating.co.uk, GreatMagazines), or CDs (FloorFillers). While I accept that Bauer are as much enttled to advertise as anyone else is on their stations, the adverts are in reality thinly-veiled plugs for their own products, sometimes saturising the ad breaks at the expense of local adverts. I get the impression sometimes that Radio Borders only exists as a promotional platform for Bauer...
  • neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just hope AM dont go the same way with networking on a Sunday night and Forth 2 keeps its local shows between 6pm-10pm. For I have been listening to Barrie Country since the 80s when it used to be on a Sunday afternoon before the chart show in the days just before the FM/AM split.
    I also remember FM/AM used to split after the 10pm news Monday to Friday in the mid 80s and country musuic used to be on AM on a Friday between 10pm-1am and Forth FM used to have the Superstation I think it was called Monday to Friday.

Darren
    Forum Member
    I remember the Superstation yes - think I first heard it in 1988/89.
  • New ListenerNew Listener Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    Business of making money = greed!

What a completely ridiclous statement!!

You go to your local shop. The shopowner makes money. Is that greed?

You get on the bus. The bus company makes money. Is that greed?

You surf the internet. Your service provider makes money. Is that greed?

You watch television. The channel makes money. Is that greed?

NO! It's business, and radio is no different!

:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    It DOES make a difference when it is at the expense of the listener. More and more programming comes from Glasgow or Edinburgh - where is the LOCAL radio? These cuts have been made to line the pockets of the big bosses who don't give a toss about LOCAL radio output, THAT IS GREED. They just want to make more and more money and spend less and less - result = less LOCAL programming and more networked output.

A radio station can still make money without the need to axe several locally produced programmes in favour of ones from outwith the area.
    Forum Member
    It DOES make a difference when it is at the expense of the listener. More and more programming comes from Glasgow or Edinburgh - where is the LOCAL radio? These cuts have been made to line the pockets of the big bosses who don't give a toss about LOCAL radio output, THAT IS GREED. They just want to make more and more money and spend less and less - result = less LOCAL programming and more networked output.

A radio station can still make money without the need to axe several locally produced programmes in favour of ones from outwith the area.

The fault lies ultimately with Ofcom. They allowed the companies to do this. It would never have happened in the days of the IBA!
    Forum Member
    Agreed. No one is saying it is Radio Borders' fault, but just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you have to. I'm allowed to smoke, but I choose not to.
    Forum Member
    Agreed. No one is saying it is Radio Borders' fault, but just because you are allowed to do something doesn't mean you have to. I'm allowed to smoke, but I choose not to.

At least we don't have Heart! At least Bauer has kept more than is legally required to be local!
    Forum Member
    I suspect there will be more cuts to be made - stay tuned to find out. I have my own ideas about what will be next, but I will keep those thoughts to myself at the moment.
    Forum Member
    I suspect there will be more cuts to be made - stay tuned to find out. I have my own ideas about what will be next, but I will keep those thoughts to myself at the moment.

In all honesty, most people don't notice if a programme comes from Glasgow, Edinburgh or Galashiels! I didn't at first until I started reading these forums!