BT Sports Channel

Comments

• mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    Anyone who can get BTS1 can get ESPN

Not if you have BT Vision without Infinity, and so receive BT Sport 1 and 2 via DTT but do not get ESPN.
  • MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mavreela wrote: »
    Not if you have BT Vision without Infinity, and so receive BT Sport 1 and 2 via DTT but do not get ESPN.

Point taken, but in which case you're unlikely to be so hardcore a sports fan that you follow the week in week out of the Bundesliga.
  • tony le mesmertony le mesmer Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    I'd expect BT Sport to rebrand ESPN as BT Sport 3 as soon as they can.

I'm not sure, it's quite a good brand for their American content. I suppose it only really works if it's all on one channel (which it isn't).
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it makes sense that they can rotate them because each league will throw up a big primetime game every month

so rather than have bt sport for serie a and bundesliga and espn for ligue one or whatever they can do for e.g:

sunday primtime week 1:inter milan vs ac milan on bt sport 1 whilst french/german games could be live or as live on espn or bt sprots 2 etc

but week 2 they can swtich to main game from germany like munich vs dortmund and do vice versa with other leagues

but it keeps bt sport 1 with the best product at all times

also i really hope they show lots of as live games through out the week like espn did, if they want to they could throw it on espn but i just hope they do it, last year i avoided score for many italian games because i knew they would be shown on espn come monday/tuesday morning.
  • foxintheboxfoxinthebox Posts: 1,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    Can anyone find PSG in week 1 ???

They open up as the Friday night game, can't see it listed live though?
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,925
    Forum Member
    broadcastnow.co.uk claiming "Virgin Media is poised to close a deal to carry BT Sport’s three sports channels on its cable TV platform, making them available to a further 4m potential customers."

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news

Edit - Just noticed derek500 posted this 4 hours ago. Whoops but worth bumping for discussion.

Wonder who will do the retailing and what that might mean for a wholesale deal with Sky?
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So will virgin customers have to pay for it or will it be included in their xl package. If that's the case I eill cancel bt on sky ad why should we pay for it when virgin will get it for free?
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    I'd expect BT Sport to rebrand ESPN as BT Sport 3 as soon as they can.

But "as soon as they can" will not be until some the rights they inherited from ESPN have expired.
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From cable forum

(from insider)

t***r.a***@virginmedia.com

******************* do not post until after 6pm **************

******* Xclusive*****

Manchester call centre got an e-mail invite to a meeting at 10 am tomorrow the subject on the e-mail is (bring your football shoes)

Also from insider spotify premium to be given free to tvxl customers no dates given ...

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35601301-post2316.html
  • RudgeyRudgey Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Just gone to add BT Sport. Not impressed I can only have it on 1 of my sky boxes on not both despite a multi room subscription.
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Rudgey wrote: »
    Just gone to add BT Sport. Not impressed I can only have it on 1 of my sky boxes on not both despite a multi room subscription.

Why would you?

Your multi room is with another company.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if its free on VM then I will kick up a stink as why should dky customers pay and VM get it for nothing cheeky beggers.
  • Gavin_DGavin_D Posts: 2,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if its free on VM then I will kick up a stink as why should dky customers pay and VM get it for nothing cheeky beggers.

It was the same with ESPN so I see no reason why BT sport can't be the same VM like to treat there highest paying customers unlike Sky
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True I knew that about ESPN but I guess if its down to the operator I.e virgin will put it in for free but sky won't I think that's wrong otherwise if they make it free on virgin there is no reason it can't be the same for sky or is virgin paying bt for the channels but not passing it on to the customer.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gavin_D wrote: »
    It was the same with ESPN so I see no reason why BT sport can't be the same VM like to treat there highest paying customers unlike Sky

From 23 years experience as one Sky also treat their highest paying customers
    as cash machines who fund cheap deals to newbies and those who cancel to get cheaper deals. That said they gave me a free gift once for telling my friends how to get Sky cheaper than me - it was a packet of love hearts....this is no joke BTW - Even the Hallmark channel sent me an Easter Egg and I was not paying them huge sums for decades :)
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    From the article.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/bt-sport-set-to-strike-virgin-media-carriage-deal/5058746.article?referrer=RSS

Would BT really bundle their channels into XL? Can't see it myself.

Hell would freeze over first!
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,004
    Forum Member

It remains to be seen if a) BT Sports is coming to Virgin and b) if it will be a Premium channel on it's own or within the XL tv package... but bearing in mind Virgin XL customers are/were losing the ESPN channels without a drop in price accordingly, then it's pretty much just replacing those channels (which had live PL football last season already)...

I wouldn't be surprised if they created an XXL package - as it is now, but maybe another £5-10 a month to include BT Sports and Atlantic... if it does go into the current XL package, it does mean you can't just cancel after 30 days like with Sky Sports, so anyone upgrading to XL would have to consider that.

Fingers crossed for some positive news, especially for those VM customers where BT/Sky broadband is less than 6mb, and they don't plan to introduce fibre!
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't know the terms. If and when BT Sport appears on Virgin Media, it might be a premium channel, like Sky Sports. If it's included free in the XL TV pack, like ESPN was, then Virgin Media will be subsidising it. Sky could offer to do the same but I doubt they would.

The difference is that Sky and BT are direct competitors at the peak of their sectors - one can understand their not wanting the other to sell their products. Virgin Media is actually small fry by comparison, in terms of their profits and the fact that they themselves have no channels to sell. Virgin Media will want maximum availability to be able to compete in the market, and so might go for a subsidy payment in return for bundling BT's channels. However, BT might want to do what ESPN did on the Sky platform, i.e. let Virgin Media sell the channels as a premium product and pass through most of the payment to BT.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mildly amusing note in the BT Sport schedules, the Rio Ferdinand testimonial on Friday 9th August is actually on BT Sport 2, on BT Sport 1 at the same time is JP Morgan Rugby 7s Finals. Not entirely sure what the thinking is there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Mildly amusing note in the BT Sport schedules, the Rio Ferdinand testimonial on Friday 9th August is actually on BT Sport 2, on BT Sport 1 at the same time is JP Morgan Rugby 7s Finals. Not entirely sure what the thinking is there.

Which means no live coverage of the opening psg game! Any delayed coverage on the schedule?
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hell would freeze over first!
    I think the costs would be too high to bundle into the existing XL pack. However, I don't think the competition authorities would allow a supplier to determine how Virgin priced/packaged its products. Restraint of trade and all that.

If an announcement is made tomorrow, I wonder if a deal for Premier Sports would be announced too? Perhaps a new sports pack would include them both, thereby making direct comparison with the BT Sport on Sky offering harder?
  • Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which means no live coverage of the opening psg game! Any delayed coverage on the schedule?

9.45pm on ESPN after the Bayern Munich v Borussia Monchengladbach match.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,390
    Forum Member
    I think the channel could do with the exposure that the XL Pack would give it. OK, it didn't, ultimately, help Setanta/ESPN as they're not here anymore (well, ESPN is, but only in name), but the channel isn't going to have much of a reach otherwise if the figures are to be believed.

None of what BT is doing will matter if nobody is watching the stuff, so giving it to VM XL customers 'at no exta cost' can only be a good thing. BT will get money from Virgin, so they're only cutting their own nose off to spite their face by not putting it on the cable platform in one form or another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Devil wrote: »
    9.45pm on ESPN after the Bayern Munich v Borussia Monchengladbach match.

Thanks
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    I think the costs would be too high to bundle into the existing XL pack. However, I don't think the competition authorities would allow a supplier to determine how Virgin priced/packaged its products. Restraint of trade and all that.

If an announcement is made tomorrow, I wonder if a deal for Premier Sports would be announced too? Perhaps a new sports pack would include them both, thereby making direct comparison with the BT Sport on Sky offering harder?

I think a deal with deal with premier sports is much more likely than a deal with btsport. I will eat my proverbial hat if BT Sport goes on VM any time soon, never mind bundled within the XL pack.
This discussion has been closed.