Options

The best Doctor to travel with?

dvirgodvirgo Posts: 400
Forum Member
I was thinking the other day, although Tom Baker is my favourite Doctor I don't think I'd like to be his travelling companion. I'm sure we'd get on fine for a while but eventually he'd get on my nerves. So my question is which would be the Doctor you'd choose to travel with it may not be necessarily be your favourite ie: which personality would match your own. Personally I think I'd get on well with Patrick Troughton, he'd be a laugh. I'd gel with CE too.

Just putting it out there

Comments

• Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dvirgo wrote: »
    I was thinking the other day, although Tom Baker is my favourite Doctor I don't think I'd like to be his travelling companion. I'm sure we'd get on fine for a while but eventually he'd get on my nerves. So my question is which would be the Doctor you'd choose to travel with it may not be necessarily be your favourite ie: which personality would match your own. Personally I think I'd get on well with Patrick Troughton, he'd be a laugh. I'd gel with CE too.

Just putting it out there

I think I'd like to travel with the Peter Davison version of the Doctor. The fact he had Nyssa as a companion has nothing to do with it...honest :)
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    I think I'd rather like to go with McGann's Doctor. I rather liked his sartorial style (not the most recently released version, but the film version), and would like to emulate it!
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Tom.

No question.

It would be a riot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    M@nterik wrote: »
    Tom.

No question.

It would be a riot.

I agree i think he would but he'd be like your mate that gets drunk and then hits you
  • Options
    DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Five for me...his voice always made me feel safe!
  • Options
    doublefourdoublefour Posts: 6,022
    Forum Member
    5 or 8 - likeable chaps, the others as a companion are a bit on the odd side.
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The eighth Doctor, no contest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The eighth Doctor, no contest.

why the 8th?
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why the 8th?

Because, based on his character as seen in his brief screen appearance and the radio/audio stories, he's relaxed, easy going, fun loving but still intelligent, in other words he has the good points of several other Doctors without the arrogance or outright lunacy that often accompanied them. I loved the fourth Doctor, but I suspect if you travelled with him he'd be a nightmare.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree i think he would but he'd be like your mate that gets drunk and then hits you
    That would be Adric then....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eight and Nine. Eights kind and Nine is funny but also powerful. And, he flew into a Dalek fleet just to save Rose. You would be in safe hands!
    But Ten was kind of powerful as well and would also be great fun. But you'd be running around ALL the time.
    Also, I think Eleven would get on my nerves. He's always dashing off and having his own adventures and he never tells you anything.
    So any Doctor who goes by the Rule 1: The Doctor Lies. I wouldn't really like. If they can't trust me to keep there plan or knowledge a secret, how can I trust them in return?
    Also, Seven may sort of scheme, like he does in ROTD and SN. That's another Doc who won't tell you anything.
    I wouldn't mind Three. But One might be a bit... I don't really know. He does have fun adventures with excitment, but, I don't know really. I'd give it a shot though . :D

So probably Eight or Nine.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I was going to say Dr 5, but I think I'd get a bit bored. So I'll go for Dr 4 - he's a bit odd, but fun....and we'd be stopping the Tardis off at every pub en-route to each planet!!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the Eight Doctor choice is interesting, I need to read more. Actually I think Doctor 3 would have your back in a pub fight.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    Fourth Doc! Add K9 and Romana 1 and it'd be a wild ride.
    I suppose it means we'd be finding the Key To Time aswell, so at least I'd feel like I was achieving something too. ;)
    Until the Doctor threw it away again of course.

Part of me would want to travel with the First Doctor because I'd love to have full-on arguments with him all the time. I thought his partnership with Tegan in the Five Doctors was great, and I'm a cynical misery aswell. :D
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    The First Doctor, no contest. Just because he is awesome :p

That said, the second Doctor would make an equally great travelling companion :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    4th, 10th and 11th! They're all eccentric loons and would be a boatload of laughs
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on people, it'd be Troughton, for the perfect blend of seriousness, running around and comedy. You'd almost certainly have Jamie around and at least one attractive female. Plus, it still being the 60s, you'd get to encounter unironic surrealism.

At the other end of the spectrum, although I like the countryside very much I can get there on my own so Pertwee's definitely out.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Patrick Troughton would be my chosen Doctor to travel with. He is kind,impish,clownish,likes music and causes a lot of confusion with relish!
  • Options
    Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    At my current age I'd have to go with William Hartnell. Two grumpy old men that still enjoy travelling and a bit of fun. 20 years ago I'd have to say Tom Baker. He'd be fun to go to the pub with.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have to be one of the new Who Doctors for me. I'd probably choose Eleven because his is the most Alieny of the 3 whereas the rest it would seem to just be normal blokes (Tennant fun but still quite human) Smith's would be a laugh.

Although a previous poster raises a good point that he never tells you anything and just goes off so... I don't know but likely Eleven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    just to turn it on its head. Although I like 10 I think he'd prefer a lady with him. He didn't like the competition of other males
  • Options
    temperaretemperare Posts: 3,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without a shadow of a doubt 10 - Hey at least when we part I may end up with a winning lotto ticket :D
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd travel with all of them! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11 all the way!

He is a mad man with a box! and so eccentric and i would always love an adventure with him!
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go with Two I think. Too much bad stuff happens to more modern companions....:o