Options

World of Warcraft

1202122232426»

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some huge item changes coming.. even more than Cataclysm.

To sum up.. some stats are being dropped all together such as hit.. and some items will change stats based on your spec. So for example.. in a dungeon, boss dies.. cloth item drops.. all clothies can roll on the item and you won't need to worry about stats because the stats will adjust based on the spec of the character wearing said item.

This also means reforging will be gone because no one will have to reforge items anymore. No more will people see an item drop and go "Oh I could wear that but it's got the wrong stats for me". The stats will adjust. This isn't for all items in the game.. but it sounds like most main items like chest pieces etc etc.

It also means no more gear sets.. if you're a hybrid healer/dps, the gear will adjust based on your active spec.

This is such a good change imho. It feels like WoW is rebooting and getting closer to vanilla and a lot of the annoyances in the game are being removed. Which should result in more fun.
  • Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of starting my first healing character, but need some advice first. What do people think is the least complicated class for someone new to start off with. Thanks.

Inspiration has given you some really good advice.

I use mouse over healing via Grid and Clique although there are other addons which do it out the box.

I think you really need to start at level 15 and level via dungeons. It's a great way to learn the basics of healing in a pretty safe environment. I have my grid showing player role and threat so I know when they've ninja pulled aggro.

Class wise it depends a lot on your playstyle.

Druids are all about maintaining heal over times (hots) and lack powerful direct heals. They can be daunting at early levels as you never feel quite in control.

Monks play very weirdly, I'd advise against them as even with my healing experience I struggle. They heal in two ways, one is via channels and the other is via doing damage. Even at level 40, you sort of mix and match the two and it feels wrong to me.

Paladins are masters of direct powerful heals. I don't have a healer one (mines a tank/DPS) but they are meant to be fairly easy to grasp.

Priests have 2 healing specs, Disc involves lots of shielding rather than healing, and Holy is direct heals with a stance dance for AOE. They are powerful in the hands of masters, but take a fair bit to learn in my opinion.

Shamans are a mixture between druids and paladins. They have the hots and the direct heals, but master neither. Personally shamans are the best healers for me. The hots keep players topped up, and the direct heals mean you can save the day when the poo hits the fans. You also have an arsenal of smart heals (totems, chain heal, healing rain) meaning you rarely have to think about much. If you go mastery at end game then you heal more the lower the health, in most LFR's this is a lifesaver.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Some huge item changes coming.. even more than Cataclysm.

To sum up.. some stats are being dropped all together such as hit.. and some items will change stats based on your spec. So for example.. in a dungeon, boss dies.. cloth item drops.. all clothies can roll on the item and you won't need to worry about stats because the stats will adjust based on the spec of the character wearing said item.

This also means reforging will be gone because no one will have to reforge items anymore. No more will people see an item drop and go "Oh I could wear that but it's got the wrong stats for me". The stats will adjust. This isn't for all items in the game.. but it sounds like most main items like chest pieces etc etc.

It also means no more gear sets.. if you're a hybrid healer/dps, the gear will adjust based on your active spec.

This is such a good change imho. It feels like WoW is rebooting and getting closer to vanilla and a lot of the annoyances in the game are being removed. Which should result in more fun.

its not really getting any closer to vanilla as a result of those changes tho , if anything its taking it even farther away and dumbing down the game even more
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    its not really getting any closer to vanilla as a result of those changes tho , if anything its taking it even farther away and dumbing down the game even more

I don't accept this 'dumbing down' argument personally. There has never really been any real skill involved in reforging items. Generally people either visit Dr Robot and have that website tell them what to reforge, or they use an addon that tells them. Where is the skill and fun in that process? There is none. It's a chore.

And not being able to roll on items you *could* wear because of it's stats is also an annoyance. Again, there is no skill involved in the decision not to roll on gear. The game already made the decision for you.

A Mage Today: "Awesome a cloth chest piece. Oh wait, it's got Spirit. Can't roll need. Oh well."
    A Mage in WoD: "Awesome a cloth chest piece. *Rolls Need*."

A Priest Today: "Awesome a cloth chest piece. Oh it's got Spirit.. hmm, I'll ask if I can roll for heal off spec."
    A Priest in WoD: "Awesome a cloth chest piece. *Rolls Need*."

That's not dubbing down the game. That's just making killing a boss a lot more fun and potentially more rewarding for players, rather than the current scenario where players see a cloth item drop but can't roll need because it's got the wrong stats. And if no one can use that piece, it goes to a greed roll and gets sold. Madness.

I honestly don't see that as dubbing down. Making raids easier and bosses easier and giving players less spells.. that's dubbing down. But removing some annoying features from the game to help people have more fun in the game, that's fine with me.

It's early days but I think change is a good thing here. I also admire Blizzard for not just changing for change sake. They've held back in areas such as not giving players lots of new spells etc.

I'll see how it pans out. But the item changes together with making raiding more accessible with the flex system are positive changes for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »

The masses don't want Vanilla though.

WoW hit it's peak in WotLK which was the first time the game had been made slightly easier andcasual friendly. Before WotLK the population mostly hardcore MMO gamers and their friends, but WotLK made the game available to everyone. Since then more and more features have been added to simplify gameplay and make it even more friendly for casual players. It may seem like dumbing down, but it really isn't.

Vanilla raids were only hard because you had to co-ordinate 40 players and the bosses hit hard compared to your health. Most of them had tactics of tank and spank whilst avoid bad. If anything bosses have gotten harder tactic wise instead of easier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll see how it pans out. But the item changes together with making raiding more accessible with the flex system are positive changes for me.

The item changes may still suck, it depends on how the looting is rolled out. The flex system of looting is ideal, it's all personal, but if I get a dungeon on my warlock with a priest healer and a mage, and we can all roll on it then it becomes an issue especially as people like to need on everything no matter what.

What is good is that one piece of gear will change spec with you.
  • Options
    mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »

I use mouse over healing via Grid and Clique although there are other addons which do it out the box.

I think you really need to start at level 15 and level via dungeons. It's a great way to learn the basics of healing in a pretty safe environment. I have my grid showing player role and threat so I know when they've ninja pulled aggro.

Druids are all about maintaining heal over times (hots) and lack powerful direct heals. They can be daunting at early levels as you never feel quite in control.

Monks play very weirdly, I'd advise against them as even with my healing experience I struggle. They heal in two ways, one is via channels and the other is via doing damage. Even at level 40, you sort of mix and match the two and it feels wrong to me.

Paladins are masters of direct powerful heals. I don't have a healer one (mines a tank/DPS) but they are meant to be fairly easy to grasp.

Priests have 2 healing specs, Disc involves lots of shielding rather than healing, and Holy is direct heals with a stance dance for AOE. They are powerful in the hands of masters, but take a fair bit to learn in my opinion.

Shamans are a mixture between druids and paladins. They have the hots and the direct heals, but master neither. Personally shamans are the best healers for me. The hots keep players topped up, and the direct heals mean you can save the day when the poo hits the fans. You also have an arsenal of smart heals (totems, chain heal, healing rain) meaning you rarely have to think about much. If you go mastery at end game then you heal more the lower the health, in most LFR's this is a lifesaver.

I've played wow since the free beta days and much has changed over the years especially healers. Because of my disability I am stuck playing roles that don't require a lot of movement. I rely solely on the mouse to do everything I'm what many call a 'clicker'. I'm constantly playing healers as for me it's the easiest thing to do.

Druids in the early days (pre-MoP) used to extremely fun to play now they've made them so easy it's taken all the fun away.

Before MoP people used to complain how hard to play they were I personally never had a problem with it but I think (this applies to other healing classes too) back then you actually had to think before you acted now you can just button mash without worrying about anything.

I personally really enjoy playing Monks and I do agree they can be weird to play but once you get used to it they are extremely easy but they still feel complicated enough to be enjoyable.

You don't however need to melee on a Monk to heal, yes many do but I like you think it's wrong so don't do it.

Paladins have to be my favourite healing class you get to do quite a bit with them although once again they've been made too easy. I can remember a time when one healing spell used to take nearly half your mana! :eek:

Priests are a mixed bag for me (My first char was a healing priest!), I used to love playing holy but then they ruined it and made disco the better spec now its the other way round and disco is the harder of the two although I still prefer it as you're not button mashing all the time.

Shamans are the one healing class I wished Blizzard didn't simplify they've taken away the uniqueness with the short duration totems. One thing I don't miss is pulling a patrol group with the left behind totems! Boy did that cause some arguments.

When the game was new everyone was friendly and helped out no matter what level you were you used to get complete strangers grouping with you. That's rarely seen nowadays.

Instances used to take ages too! You actually had to form your own groups by asking in LookingForGroup and then actually going to the instance or getting a summon from the first three people to arrive at the entrance. Although if you didn't meet someone's expectations and/or they didn't like you for whatever reason you'd get shunned and quickly booted from the group. There were guilds that actually had lists of names of people not to group with! :rolleyes:

You used to get people telling you your gear and/or spec was wrong and you'd end up being booted there and then even for minor things!

And Ninjas don't get me started on those lowest of the low!

Unfortunately wow has now turned into a game where if you're not 'l33t', 'super wicked awesome' and/or you don't have the right gear you're nothing.

And my biggest annoyance of all is getting asked 'U SWE'? on an English server or those that spam in another language on the chat. I've had groups in the past boot me because I not from their country and don't speak their language!

I miss vanilla!
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cat666 wrote: »

Some very helpful advice on this thread. I changed my mind and decided to go with a shaman instead. I've only just started levelling and reached 15, so going to take the plunge to do my first dungeon soon. :eek: Also, are there any good sites with regards to which talent builds to choose? Thanks.
  • Options
    Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is a feeling
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some very helpful advice on this thread. I changed my mind and decided to go with a shaman instead. I've only just started levelling and reached 15, so going to take the plunge to do my first dungeon soon. :eek: Also, are there any good sites with regards to which talent builds to choose? Thanks.

Icy Veins is the best site for guides.

In honesty a lot of talents for resto shamans are meh, it really doesn't matter for the most part as they are mostly utility.

Resto healing is fairly easy, keep Earth Shield on the tank and riptide (Glyph of Riptide should be the first you get). Then just spam Healing Wave on the tank or whomever needs a top up. Once riptide is glyphed you can blanket more people with it and just keep Healing Waving the tank.

The Healing Totem is fairly powerful, some people use it on cooldown, but I prefer to wait until the group is taking too much damage for me to cope with alone. As you level you will get the Healing Tide Totem, which is stupidly powerful and should be used when the group is all 50% or less health, chain heal which is quite mana extensive but good for healing the entire party (make sure to cast it on someone with riptide) and healing rain, which you should place under the tank/melee on CD.

Resto shamans are very easy to play, have fun!
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right then, he's going to try again.
    Last time, Twitch banned him, as they played babysitter, and were concerned for his health

No sleep (136 hours) record attempt
    World of Warcraft

You gotta be there, or be a bellend
    http://www.twitch.tv/rlenk