The Ratings Thread (Part 51)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,496
Administrator
cylon6 wrote: »
So according to Ronant BBC2 are moving Count Arthur Strong to Tuesdays at 8pm from July 30th. Will it work? We shall see?

Continuation of: The Ratings Thread (Part 50)

Comments

• FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If ITV want to air a Light Entertainment show over the summer they should just bring Stars In Their Eyes back.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame we can't have the last page from the previous thread here.
  • AndyB2007AndyB2007 Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8pm of a new programme against a established show like Holby City?

Isn't this a repeat of Challenge, with the debut week of Mayo coinciding with an attack on Sacha Levy to get viewers to stay with HC? And Challenge haven't announced a new series.

If there's a continuation of the Chantelle Lane/Arthur Digby plot or Kent/Young are planning another tactic like the Challenge one to get people to stay with Holby,then Count Arthur Strong has no chance.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,855
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    If ITV want to air a Light Entertainment show over the summer they should just bring Stars In Their Eyes back.

I hope if anything Your Face Sounds Familar has taught them (as much as I do like it) is that there would be a market for a Stars in their Eyes revival, and as we saw with Catchphrase, nostalgia works, although I'd love to see Matthew Kelly presenting again if ITV did see sense and axe YFSF and put a revamped Stars in their Eyes (minus z listers) on instead, I'd be in heaven ;):D
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »
    Disagree that C4 isn't creative, they have a great range of unique programming that you wouldn't find anywhere else on British TV or free-to-air TV at the very least. You have shows on Ramadan, Murder Trial, The Returned, Drugs Live, Easter Eggs Live, Bedtime Live etc. The fact is that people just aren't watching them, the programming is aimed at so many different demographics that it has no real core audience and a channel that size needs a core audience, a regular viewer.

In regards to the programmes you've listed to show Channel 4's creativity, I disagree with you on a few.
    • The programming around Ramadan is good.
    • The Murder Trial was done by the BBC back in the 1990s.
    • The Returned is the latest in a long lines of foreign dramas. Only last week, Sky Arts bought a Spanish period drama called Isabel.
    • Drugs Live was creative and risky, but the way it was structured was poor and killed it.
    • Easter Eggs Live was basically Springwatch on steroids.
    • Bedtime Live, again like most of their output, had no real purpose or structure.

I agree with your point about a core audience. When a channel has a core audience, then you can pretty much guarantee them to watch any old crap you put on. The problem for C4 is that they have pretty much alienated their core audience over the last 18 months to 2 years, and when they had the chance to impress a new audience when showing the Paralympics, they simply couldn't attract them.
    C14E wrote: »
    Most of Channel 4's problems lately have been due to new shows.

I think Jay Hunt will be in for a tough ride at Edinburgh. But a good run in autumn will make everyone forget about a bad summer. I guess the issue is whether they have the shows to make a good autumn.

Homeland will be back. But they don't exactly have an equivalent to X Factor/I'm A Celeb/Doc Martin/Downton Abbey where we know that even if those shows are down, they'll still ensure good ratings.

A bad summer? If a bad summer lasts 6 months, how long will a good autumn last? A week maybe. I think Jay Hunt will be in for a pasting in Edinburgh and I hope whoever is doing the question asking makes sure that the questions are tough but fair. She has to be held accountable for the failings at C4.

Quite a few of Channel 4's recommissioned shows have been down this year. Embarrassing Bodies, One Born Every Minute, The Restoration Man, Shameless, Four Rooms... to name a few.
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    I hope if anything Your Face Sounds Familar has taught them (as much as I do like it) is that there would be a market for a Stars in their Eyes revival, and as we saw with Catchphrase, nostalgia works, although I'd love to see Matthew Kelly presenting again if ITV did see sense and axe YFSF and put a revamped Stars in their Eyes (minus z listers) on instead, I'd be in heaven ;):D

They really should bring back Stars in their Eyes, especially with Dancing On Ice on its way out. If they did an 6-week run of SitE and then a 6-week run of a new show, it would fill the void nicely.

To reply to someone on the earlier thread, whilst C4 has underperformed, I do think Channel 5 is getting better. Obviously the cricket will help them out this summer, but it's clear that quite a bit of their other programming is doing well. I do still think that there is a hell of a lot more to do, but after a few years of an identity crisis, it seems like Channel 5 is finally taking shape.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where has my post disappeared to from the last part of the ratings thread? Even my soap rating predictions have gone.
  • Hassaan13Hassaan13 Posts: 41,962
    Forum Member
    Would a civilian All Star Family Fortunes work nowadays? At the moment, there is only one celebrity on each team, but if it is entirely non-celebrities, would it work?
    Forum Member
    Where has my post disappeared to from the last part of the ratings thread? Even my soap rating predictions have gone.

I seemed to notice a few of the posts on there had been deleted.
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »

Would it really rate that well though?
  • sky activesky active Posts: 295
    Forum Member
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    sky active wrote: »

How low will it eventually go ?
    Forum Member
    sky active wrote: »

The drop has been between 10-20k over the last few weeks.

I think it will end with about 2.3m. Maybe ITV really should have just done a Stars in their Eyes revival with members of the public - as mentioned the nostalgia factor would help. They need to sort out their summer schedule fast. It's a shame as I like YFSF, I think it would have been easier to just commission a revival of a previously well rating show with just a few tweaks. That said, the show may have rated better in the winter.

Raiders of the Lost Ark: 2.93m (19.4%)

Round 3 of The Open Golf pulled in an average of 1.60m (17.5%) on BBC1 from 12:10 and 1.64m (11.4%) on BBC2 from 18:10. Peak of 2.72m (21.3%).
    Forum Member
    The Chase this year has an average of 3.03m (21.1%), compared with Pointless' 3.28m (21.4%) - up to July 12th.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    How low will it eventually go ?

Probably no lower as the hottest heat wave since 2006, which would have been tough opposition for even the biggest of shows, is due to end this week.

It's been relatively flat if you exclude the first episode. It's only lost about 20k.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks really low again last night in fact I did not watch one thing on live TV.
  • MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Probably no lower as the hottest heat wave since 2006, which would have been tough opposition for even the biggest of shows, is due to end this week.

It's been relatively flat if you exclude the first episode. It's only lost about 20k.

I guess it will depend on how much ITV have paid for the format as to whether it is worth a second run.

I think Ant and Dec should do a summer run of reviving the classic game shows like they did a few years ago.

Would there still be time to cash in on the olympic success with a Gladiators style summer show - pitting the athletes against members of the public ?
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    The Chase this year has an average of 3.03m (21.1%), compared with Pointless' 3.28m (21.4%) - up to July 12th.

The Chase up about 0.5m on last year apparently.

The figure excludes +1 but includes episodes that were repeats.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Round 3 of The Open Golf pulled in an average of 1.60m (17.5%) on BBC1 from 12:10 and 1.64m (11.4%) on BBC2 from 18:10. Peak of 2.72m (21.3%).

Was that a BBC One or BBC Two peak? What time was it?
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Deal or No Deal down 36% YoY (also via TVRatingsUK) which is worrying particularly given it still appears to be declining.
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »

Going by that share, it must have been BBC One. As to the time, I don't know yet.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Deal or No Deal down 36% YoY (also via TVRatingsUK) which is worrying particularly given it still appears to be declining.

When did it start getting direct game show competition on ITV?
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    I seemed to notice a few of the posts on there had been deleted.
    A whole seven pages just suddenly disappeared! :o
    Would it really rate that well though?

Better than 'Your Face', almost certainly, especially given that part of the critisicm of 'Your Face' has been that its just a poor version of Stars.
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    6.05pm BBC1
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Bad ratings for YFSF once again, losing viewers for a 3rd week in a row. Itv have had a very bad summer so far, many shows of theirs rating between 2-3Million only and no new hits.
This discussion has been closed.