Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 51)

Comments

• Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheapo clip show of celebrities first appearances on TV.

What and that got over 4mil well am surprised by that.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    How did Channel 4 The Food Hospital do at 8pm without +1. ?

854,967 4.04%
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a decade late rip off of 'Before They Were Famous'

It's a bit surprising that so many people watched it, slightly worrying this will encourage ITV to make some more

But in honesty, people watch TV primarily to be entertained. Fluff and escapism you don't have to concentrate on is surely the winning factors in these type of programmes. They're the sort of show you probably wouldn't mind missing but if it's on it's quite a good way of passing an hour and entertains you at the same time. I'm not surprised it did well at all. I think people do still like old fashioned, harmless Light Entertainment nonsense. It's only TV executives who think they don't.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a decade late rip off of 'Before They Were Famous'

It's a bit surprising that so many people watched it, slightly worrying this will encourage ITV to make some more

You could argue that since Before They Were Famous finished there are lots of new famous people to laugh at
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    854,967 4.04%

Cheers!
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two great ratings at 8pm for BBC1 and ITV. You Saw That Format On BBC1 First edged out Celebrity Masterchef when +1 is included. Both channels should be pleased.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Two great ratings at 8pm for BBC1 and ITV. You Saw That Format On BBC1 First edged out Celebrity Masterchef when +1 is included. Both channels should be pleased.

Yah but we can't count plus one so MC really won :p:D
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

Do you know any +1 for Channel 4/Channel 5?
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    At least most of Love Hate's viewers in week 1 came back in week 2. Worth persevering with it in that slot I think just in case. Obviously if it falls much below 600k then think again.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yah but we can if we want to. Different people have different views on it, yah. Make sense, yah?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does it really matter. Both channels were, in effect, showing filler to while away the summer. Both shows appealed to the same amount of people roughly. The BBC won't care. ITV won't gloat. It's summer and the networks are not bothered about ratings in summer when none of the shows they put on (except high profile drama) really have no overall impacts on the years ratings overall. The only disappointment of the summer is for the BBC and The White Queen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Yah but we can if we want to. Different people have different views on it, yah. Make sense, yah?

Well then you need to post the facts accurately. By simpling saying "YSTHF won the ratings war" is not accurate. You need to say, "When both shows aired head to head MC won. However, if you consider those who watched on ITV+1, YSTHF just edged it". The head to head battle is the one I go by. That is the level playing field.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,631
    Forum Member
    Strange that itv had such a hit with an old clips show. I wonder if this will be recommissioned on the back of a sizeable audience. Against a strong audience size from the familiar BBC One show Celebrity Masterchef its performed well.

Would be interesting to see if both held on to their audiences. They are so similar in terms of ratings. Did Celebrity Masterchef rise as people tuned in for Who Do You Think You Are?
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    What I don't understand is how BBC One can justify 2.5 hrs of celebrities cooking a week.

Good rating for WDYTYA.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,226
    Forum Member
    Didn't expect that You Saw Them Here first show to rate that well - would have expected 2-3m for it. I think it will get a similar audience next week.

Good for Who Do You Think You Are, and Masterchef.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't understand is how BBC One can justify 2.5 hrs of celebrities cooking a week.

Good rating for WDYTYA.

Because people actually enjoy it. It's the same as itv do on Sat with YFSF and ASFF.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good rating for WDYTYA.

How can ITV justify 12-13 hours of celebrities in a jungle every week? Or 1.5 hours of celebrities diving into a swimming pool every week? Or 1.5 hours of celebrities answering questions about their spouses and attempting to solve "our viewers said" polls each week?
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,226
    Forum Member
    Tipping Point 0.763M

Twisters 1.294M

It's dropping again. I would have really liked to see a new series of 'Don't Blow the Inheritance' - it was a family game show, and it was hosted by a comedian (Tim Vine) who engaged with the audience quite a lot.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    How can ITV justify 12-13 hours of celebrities in a jungle every week? Or 1.5 hours of celebrities diving into a swimming pool every week? Or 1.5 hours of celebrities answering questions about their spouses and attempting to solve "our viewers said" polls each week?

They don't have to. Why should I have to compare the BBC to ITV. They are a different beast to the BBC, not answerable to the licence fee payer. :D
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    Could you post the full article please grahamzxy? Thanks. I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who would like to read what Jay Hunt has to say.

The full article was on display last night - sadly it is paywalled now except this final part
    Jay Hunt, Channel 4's chief creative officer, tells Andrew Billen that autumn will see the station return to form Channel 4's chief creative officer has left for a canoeing holiday in Canada, sped by some good news As a TV critic, I have admired much of Channel 4's output this year but the 8 million viewers, twice the usual audience for this slot and the largest for a Channel 4 drama premiere in three years
    Jay Hunt, Channel 4’s chief creative officer, tells Andrew Billen that autumn will see the station return to form

Channel 4’s chief creative officer has left for a canoeing holiday in Canada, sped by some good news. On Sunday the station’s tough new drama, The Mill, was watched by 2.8 million viewers, twice the usual audience for this slot and the largest for a Channel 4 drama premiere in three years. It was a result, and one Jay Hunt needed. In recent weeks, some were concluding that the channel had meandered up its own creek and Hunt had long ago mislaid her paddle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't have to. Why should I have to compare the BBC to ITV. They are a different beast to the BBC, not answerable to the licence fee payer. :D

Well surely the BBC actually daring to put on a celebrity series for a limited time that nearly five million chose to watch (and probably will be 5 million once the on demand viewers have caught up) is the BBC fulfilling their licence fee commitments? The BBC are fully justified to put Celebrity Masterchef on considering it's overall limited run and that it does not impact on any of their PSB remits nor does it copy any of its competitors formats so therefore can be described as original new programming. And of course you can compare BBC to ITV. You do it all the time when discussing ratings. So why not do it here? Hypocritical slightly perhaps!
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    The full article was on display last night - sadly it is paywalled now except this final part

So she concedes the channel has lost its way.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »

did they use any up the creek without a paddle metaphors? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    At least most of Love Hate's viewers in week 1 came back in week 2. Worth persevering with it in that slot I think just in case. Obviously if it falls much below 600k then think again.

I watched like last week, again, it was good yesterday and the accents were more understandable. Darren is going to get himself in big trouble by flirting with old flame Rosy, and with that Jimmy on the phone who he thinks killed his brother. I have a feeling Jimmy is telling the truth and that he didn't kill his brother.

Moving on, I feel Channel 5 made a big mistake by putting it on at 10pm. Surely, following the Myra (crime) documentary at 9pm, it would retain more of an audience as this genre spills over? Finishing it at 10pm would not be a problem (by my account, its finish was billed as 11:10, it actually finished at 11:03) and this would allow Big Brother's well performing 10pm daily highlights programs not to change slot and gain a lower audience like it has done these past two Wednesdays.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did they use any up the creek without a paddle metaphors? :D

Sure did;)
This discussion has been closed.