Not hubby bashing - honestly !!!!

2»

Comments

• jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maimou wrote:
    I recently got a self cleaning oven that is starting to look really dirty to me, but my other half has thrown away the instruction booklet so I don't know if I'm doing it right.. does anyone know how the self cleaning thing is supposed to work?!

Ah the promise of a self-cleaning oven, bit like the holy grail. They don't exist unles you never cook anything in them! It has reminded me I have been meaning/promised to clean our self-cleaning oven for eons but then I remember why I never have, open door, look inside and think not today.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Candy39 wrote:
    Do you think women are in a no win situation here ? – i.e. they ask for help, they are nagging – they don’t ask for help they end up doing all the household stuff
    I think you're in a no win situation as long as you keep thinking of it as "asking for help". That says you've already accepted the responsibility to clean the house is fundamentally yours. It's not! My advice would be this: discuss the issue with him, try to keep it lighthearted and humorous, agree on exactly what needs to be done and how often, and then divvy it up. Unless you want to keep on doing it all for the rest of your life, absolutely never do his share just because he's forgotten - which he will do at the start, because it takes time to change the habits of a lifetime - especially when it means starting to do something as deadly dull as housework. If he lets things deteriorate to the point you can't stand it, don't get all upset and agitated, just take a holiday - on your own!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moogester wrote:
    My husband is pretty good at doing stuff around the house, the problem I have is with three teenage daughters who do nothing. :mad:
    I blame the parents! :D
    Seriously - how come you let them get away with it? In your house, it's your rules, isn't it??
  • Satan's DogSatan's Dog Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i have a v good cleaning lady bec she is doing "iron shirts for me aswell. she only come 1 day a week thuogh, so i wash up cup plate etc and if i am spill something like saw dust eg i will use hoover my self. i have nevr clean the oven thuogh nor does cleaning lady. how can it need clean when it is so hot inside, i dont think germ can live in heat tlike that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,374
    Forum Member
    There's a complete reversal in my house - as an example, my brother's bedroom is completely tidy with everything in its proper place.
    Mine has boxes lined up against the wall on one side of the bed, another large box on the other side (both from when I redecorated last October and haven't bothered putting everything back yet!) I can only sleep on one side of the bed at the moment because of an empty Amazon box, a plane (the 'tool' type of plane, that is), and various books scattered across the other side of it.

And my duvet is triangular because I can never get the damn thing to cooperate and one of the corners has slipped into the middle of the cover. Again. :mad:

Despite the physical evidence to the contrary, I think I must be a bloke! :eek: :p
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    1 Has never washed bedding - once in a while I do.
    2 Has never hoovered - I'm allergic (my excuse & I'm sticking to it)
    3 If goes grocery shopping doesn’t think to replace empty or near empty household items (i.e- ketchup. Mayo, toothpaste, washing powder, washing up liquid etc etc) - I'm the opposite, I have more than ample household goods to last years.
    4 When does washing, hangs clothes above living room heater and there they stay until he puts them on - I have a tumble drier (2 actually)
    5 Never cleaned the bathroom - see 1
    6 Doesn’t open curtains in morning - I work shifts - I wan't them closed.
    7 Leaves newspapers lying around - never buy them, so not a problem
    8 Doesn’t take rubbish out to wheelie bin/ recycle bin - I do this every two weeks - usually at 2am (due tonight)
    9 Doesn’t clean oven - the last time I did this was a month ago - I cleaned my combi to the point it looked brand new for the first time in 3 years. The next day he cooked a chicken in it without the drip tray. It's staying dirty until he cleans it, as he's away, it could be like that for some considerable time( I have another oven I can use).
  • handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My hubby & I go in cycles with this kind of thing. He's finicky about hygeine, but lazy. I'm quite relaxed about dirt, but always on the move. Generally, we share some jobs (bins, recycling, shopping), I do some (washing-up, washing, cooking) and he does some (mowing the lawn, composting, cat-litter tray). we have a cleaner who comes once a fortnight for the dusting, hoovering abd bathroom stuff.
    If one of us is peeved about something, we sit down and hammer things out, but he's a fair-minded chap and has never believed that i should do the housework and him the bloke jobs.
    I have to say, though, that girlies are generally better at the organising side of housework, and I'm thinking of writing him a load of lists so that i can sit back in comfort and direct operations...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,475
    Forum Member
    Hmmm at the risk of sounding smug my husband does far more around the house than I do... although I do cook every night and do some ironing (well, the stuff my mum doesn't do), he fills the dishwasher, empties it, cleans up the kitchen, sorts the dirty washing and even cleans the loo... Personally I put it down to me having a far lower mess tolerance level than him!

Even our bedroom is quite obviously divided down the middle, between my mess and his tidiness - he does tidy my side for me though when he can't bear it any longer, throwing away the magazines and tidying the books away!

In my defence there is a lot in our relationship that I solely do, take the kids to school/playschool/childminder respectively, get them sorted in the mornings because he's already gone to work, pick them up in the evening, arrange their birthday parties, listen to them read, sort out their clothes etc, and yes, we do both work full time. It's not exactly a problem because it works for us, if he's doing something (or NOT doing something!) that annoys me, or vice versa, then we generally have it out and eventually work it out (once we've stopped shouting...)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    As someone who works the same amount of hours as my other half I sometimes feel I still do the lions share of chores at home.

Having said that - my other half does have certain chores which I never do - ironing being one 'cos I hate it. He's ex military and once boasted how good he could do shirts. He's had the job ever since!

I have to say the ironing in our house is rather pristine. :)

He usually does the bulk of DIY type things and does quite a good job of those and will share in lawn mowing, shopping and many other things so I can't complain really.

He gets a bit enthusiastic over cooking sometimes however - and unless it's oven chips or similar he can easily ruin it. But I suppose I have to encourage this enthusiasm - so I smile and tell him how delicious it all is.

I don't mind untidiness - but I hate filth and grime so I tend to do more of the chores around cleaning.

Still, it's all good exercise!
  • moogestermoogester Posts: 15,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pushka wrote:
    I blame the parents! :D
    Seriously - how come you let them get away with it? In your house, it's your rules, isn't it??

Have you ever tried imposing your rules on hormonal 16, 17 and 18 year old girls, it's too frightening to even contemplate :eek: Still one down and off to Uni, two to go then I can impose my rules!! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O.K well I have done a list of jobs that need doing in each room (didn't realise just how much I did !) and have asked hubby to sit down with me tonight and make some kind of rota - he seems fairly O.K with it, so Hopefully will have a lot of spare time on my hands now !!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moogester wrote:
    Have you ever tried imposing your rules on hormonal 16, 17 and 18 year old girls, it's too frightening to even contemplate :eek: Still one down and off to Uni, two to go then I can impose my rules!! :o

The idea is to get them while they are young! My mum works part time so she does everything but I do try to help out, but never used to as I got used to the fact that my mum did everything. I am mum now while my mum is recovering from an op, thankfully I have a boyfriend and brother who is helping me out (which I was shocked at!!). :)
  • moogestermoogester Posts: 15,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumpy wrote:
    The idea is to get them while they are young! My mum works part time so she does everything but I do try to help out, but never used to as I got used to the fact that my mum did everything. I am mum now while my mum is recovering from an op, thankfully I have a boyfriend and brother who is helping me out (which I was shocked at!!). :)

My problem lies in the fact they are all so close in age. They did help when they were younger. But as they reached the dreaded teens whatever I asked them to do they moaned and asked why I hadn't asked one of the others. I tried a rota of chores, but if one managed to not do theirs because of homework, etc. then I had to argue with the other two who said it wasn't fair. In the end it is just easier, and less hassle, just to do it myself. :(