Time to Ditch a friend?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all

For the past few weeks my friend has been really moody and bitchy to me. I have asked her was she upset about something, or did I do something to upset her and she said no

However in the last week she has been really horrible to me and said some really hurtful and nasty comments, and just been a bitch to me. She has made me feel really small and I am thinking about ignoring her.

The thing is we had a really good friendship but she has changed recently and I don't like the way she is now, I just really miss our friendship :(

Comments

• mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Try and keep the friendship, she may well be going through a hard time and taking it out on those close to her
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she's a good friend go for a coffee/drink and tell her what your friendship means and how her current behaviour is hurting/ worrying/puzzling you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IrishChick wrote: »
    Hey all

For the past few weeks my friend has been really moody and bitchy to me. I have asked her was she upset about something, or did I do something to upset her and she said no

However in the last week she has been really horrible to me and said some really hurtful and nasty comments, and just been a bitch to me. She has made me feel really small and I am thinking about ignoring her.

The thing is we had a really good friendship but she has changed recently and I don't like the way she is now, I just really miss our friendship :(

I haven't seen a single thing in your post to suggest you're even remotely concerned about her, it's all about you. If she's as good a friend as you've made out, don't you think it odd she's suddenly behaved like that? Maybe she is going through something terrible and she needs some support. So rather than call her a bitch on here, which in itself is not very nice, why don't you offer to take her out for a drink and ask her about her life and what may be upsetting her to behave so out of character. I would have thought this was what being a friend was about.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the others, from what you've said it sounds as if something is bothering her. Doesn't mean there isn't just because she said no when you asked.

People don't change their personalities overnight (ok before smart asses say otherwise, I mean generally/without suffering head trauma etc etc).

I get its bothering you, but it seems like something serious is bothering your friend. Try and see if you can get out of her what is wrong, and help her through it.

And not by text!! Face to face. Its easy to hide if something is wrong in a text.
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anything changed with you OP? Have you recently met a new boyfriend or even had a child? Things like these can cause weird strains in friendships in my experience.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    If she's usually a good friend and it's just a recent thing, I'd stick by her. Maybe she really needs a good friend.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replies, I have asked her does she want to meet up and she cancelled the last few times. I travelled to meet her ( she lives over 2 hours away) and she cancelled last minute I have phoned, emailed and all and she just sends a sarky reply. I don't know how to help her
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for replies, I have asked her does she want to meet up and she cancelled the last few times. I travelled to meet her ( she lives over 2 hours away) and she cancelled last minute I have phoned, emailed and all and she just sends a sarky reply. I don't know how to help her

Oh, erm, do you have any mutual friends that might still be getting the 'old' her? They may have an idea why she has changed on you.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since you've told us barely anything - yes, 'dump' her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Since you've told us barely anything - yes, 'dump' her.

Well okay her is something, I told her I was depressed and feeling low about not working and she said to grow up and cop on. I invited her down to my house and she said no she couldnt come and when I said I'd get her a train ticket she scoffed and said unlike you I don't do public transport. She made snappy comments about me getting welfare too,
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I told her I was depressed and feeling low about not working and she said to grow up and cop on. I invited her down to my house and she said no she couldnt come and when I said I'd get her a train ticket she scoffed and said unlike you I don't do public transport. She made snappy comments about me getting welfare too,

Frankly if that is her attitude then I would drop her. You are going through a difficult time being unemployed and a real friend would be sympathetic. The fact that she has cancelled meeting up with you a few times shows that she has little interest in your problems.

As for "I don't do public transport" :( what a snob.
    One day she might find herself unemployed and might realise that it isn't easy and that you do need some support.

Stop contacting her, concentrate on yourself and what you want in life.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    women eh?

cant live with them

cant kill them ;)
  • WinterLilyWinterLily Posts: 6,305
    Forum Member
    Hey all

How old are you Irishchick?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's times like this where I think you should send people songs, like flowers or cards.

I'd send her this if I was you OP :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-l-c3rTlnE
  • sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IrishChick wrote:
    Hey all

Sadly people do change and things people have said or done that were once ignored, become more evident in their occurence and then you must decide as a friend, if what has been said is something you should think about as to a means of some kind of reflection or as something you move on from. Maybe once you recognise it's meaning, you can move forward.
  • los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    Well okay her is something, I told her I was depressed and feeling low about not working and she said to grow up and cop on. I invited her down to my house and she said no she couldnt come and when I said I'd get her a train ticket she scoffed and said unlike you I don't do public transport. She made snappy comments about me getting welfare too,

She sounds like a nasty person these days. Pull back; don't text or call or contact her online. If you've held out the olive branch and asked her what's troubling her, and she's continued not to tell you but act like a real C.U.Next.Tuesday, then don't contact her at all. She'll work it out for herself, and hopefully contact you in the future. Good luck!
  • smelly jemsmelly jem Posts: 1,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It sounds like you've tried to find out what's bothering her and that you've been very kind.

If I were you I'd tell her to **** off. Life's too short to spend it dealing with rude , nasty people.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think pulling back is a good idea, but i'd maybe be inclined to preface it with one final attempt at getting to the bottom of what's going on.

If it still doesn't get anywhere and she's subsequently horrible to you again, you can end the conversation with something like "Ok well I've got to go now, I'm always here if you need me" and then leave it there, so you've effectively put the ball in her court and left it up to her if she wants to continue the friendship.

If she doesn't, then you can move on at least knowing you tried your best.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all

Just text her and tell that you're not happy with her nasty comments recently, and that it's probably best if you don't see each other for a bit.

However strong your friendship with her may have been, you're not under any obligation to take abusive comments.

As far as the comments above about her having problems, going through a hard time and taking it out on you, my response would be that if she was that good a friend, she would have confided in you.

To be honest I get seriously pissed off with people who suddenly and abruptly change towards you, without any obvious reason.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with others on here. Face to face, be truthful about your feelings and don't be fobbed off. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell her you enjoy being a friend but you won't be a punchbag, emotional or otherwise. Shape up or ship out.

If she is having a tough time then that's a shame but you are not, I assume, a bone fide mind reader.
  • hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds to me as though she may be trying to ditch you, for whatever reason. :o
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    women eh?

cant live with them

cant kill them ;)

If you change the "Can't" to 'Can' and reverse the order in which you list them. Problem solved!
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously this is just a guess but in the past I had a friend who would fall in with some new crowd who she thought were so cool and become quite nasty towards me because obviously i wasn't as 'cool' as her new friends who she worked so hard to impress.

Then, when they were out of favour, she'd be nice to me again.

Why does she have a problem with you claiming welfare? Does she have a good job? It sounds as if she's lost respect for you and thinks she can treat you like crap now. Obviously she's not a good friend or a good person if that is true.