Balotelli and swapping shirts

ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I see that the papers are working themselves into hysteria because Balotelli dared swap shirts with the opposition at half time. Why is this such a big deal? Is he being scapegoated for the loss?

Comments

• The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Typical media over reaction to whip up the mob that waste their time reading the comic section
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Graeme Souness in particularly was barely concealing his disgust. I find a lot of this stuff just extra-curricular flimflam but it did seem to give off an impression of the game being over at half-time.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to Rodger's famous man management skills?
  • NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that the papers are working themselves into hysteria because Balotelli dared swap shirts with the opposition at half time. Why is this such a big deal? Is he being scapegoated for the loss?

Every club needs a whipping boy. Although it was a big risk from Rogers to take a gamble with Mario.

I'm sure he'll do something in a big game in the next few weeks and he'll then be the second coming of Christ after Danny Welbeck.;-)
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you think players ought to be swapping shirts?

Its half time between Liverpool (5 times winners) and Real Madrid (10 times winners) , the idea that a player from one should swap shirts with a player from the other is an outrage! What next holding hands?

Until the game is over its a contest - not a f*cking love in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Do you think players ought to be swapping shirts?

Its half time between Liverpool (5 times winners) and Real Madrid (10 times winners) , the idea that a player from one should swap shirts with a player from the other is an outrage! What next holding hands?

Until the game is over its a contest - not a f*cking love in.

Why is swapping shirts a big deal?

Its a shirt, The players have more then one I am sure.

1900's mentality.

Lets ban talking to the other teams players until two hours after the game as well.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The psychology of such an act is all wrong. Any player that does it is weak if they initiate the gesture.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeh i agree its not the shirt swapping its the message it sends out.

so do all players put on brand new kit for second halfs?
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Pepe asked Balotelli if he wanted to swap shirts, what's the problem?

Nothing wrong with it at all, it's not like it will affect their playing ability and I'm sure most of them put on a clean new shirt for the second half anyway.

At the end of the Chelsea match, players from Maribor asked Hazard and Drogba to swap shirts and both Hazard and Drogba declined, they pointed at something. Shirts were probably promised to fans or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    yeh i agree its not the shirt swapping its the message it sends out.

so do all players put on brand new kit for second halfs?

Would anyone really notice if they did?

If they did what would happen?

Are they like Billy's boots?
  • seelleeseellee Posts: 10,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We Liverpool fans defended a player over biting and racism. I think it would be very hypocritical to not defend Balotelli.

As a fan you can't pick and choose who you defend just because of how good they are. Unfortunately that's football I know. We all know had Suarez played like Diouf he would have been out long before.

I haven't got an issue with the media using Balotelli as a scapegoat. I expect it from them. What disappoints me are Liverpool fans who stand by the motto "You'll never walk Alone" yet are prepared to sack somebody off after 10 games. YNWA doesn't mean don't criticise of course, but it certainly means stand by your players. Maybe we should add (only if you are World class) at the end of YNWA?!
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Would anyone really notice if they did?

If they did what would happen?

Are they like Billy's boots?

im just asking if they do pal, just curious.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Balo, but I have to agree with everyone who says it sends out the completely wrong message. It's like saying 'game over' and capitulating at half time. The team should fight till the end even if they're 0:7 down, which they weren't!

I also hate all the public displays of affection between players from opposing teams. It's like they have to make love first before they play each other. What kind of attitude is that? I much prefer the Roy Keane "it's war and I'll f***ing kill you" mentality before a match. I can't see players getting fired up before a game by kissing and hugging each other.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He swapped his (first half) shirt after being substituted. He wasn't going to wear a second half shirt.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Shirt swapping for me isn't a big deal

Granted Liverpool losing at home 0-3 by half time....swapping shirts Infront of them with an opposing player probably isn't the best of moves, probably would have advised leaving it for the tunnel knowing what this Country is like for looking for 'wrong messages being sent out'

But there's no need to beat him with a stick and call him a disgrace like what I've seen some folks call him etc etc

.......he was asked if he would swap a T-Shirt, so he did lol

"He's and utter disgrace!!!"

"Oh whys that Johnny Boy?"

"Did you not see what he did!!!!!!!!!!.....He swapped a F****** T-Shirt!!!!!.....with that other player!!!!!!"

".............okkkkkk, get a life pal"
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't care less.

More interested in his lack of effort in trying to get into the box, or the slowness of his build up play. Or the fact that he has been terrible as a lone striker.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He swapped his (first half) shirt after being substituted. He wasn't going to wear a second half shirt.

The whole process is something that tends to symbolise the pleasantries once a game is finished, which is where the problem lies in this case.

(Or more 'problem', as it's a sideshow pot-stirring to angry up the blood and sidestep the poor performance)
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No he didn't. He swapped it walking down the tunnel before he had been told he was being substituted.
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mountain of a molehill. Sure, I get its annoying and he will get fined for it but Liverpool have bigger issues to get to grips with then this.

I do think his style doesn't suit us however that's not his fault, we bought him, and now we have him it can and clearly will take more than 10 games to gel, especially with Sturridge out and the whole team has been playing.
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brendan Rodgers says he has already dealt with Mario Balotelli's half-time shirt-swap against Real Madrid.

Something along the lines of 'ignore the stupid press' would suffice.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's no big deal, but it's still a daft thing to do, particulary after after his less than impressive display in the first half. If Liverpool had been winning 3-0, and Balotelli had scored a couple of those, nobody would have said a word.
  • iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt realise this was a no-no, well according to the old pro's anyway. I would've thought it was a bit odd if I saw it but that's about it.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,989
    Forum Member
    Its the sort of thing that would have been forgotten about had Balotelli been on top form scoring goals but because he isn't the media see this as another example of his "unprofessional behaviour"