Options

Wigan Athletic player refuses to wear poppy

Comments

• Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Louise32 wrote: »
    I'm maybe being stupid but what's a WUM?

Wind-Up Merchant
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    I'm maybe being stupid but what's a WUM?

I never lost relatives at Enniskillen. It was at the Somme.
    Ah ok I read that wrong sorry - I have absolutely no idea if we had any involvement in the wars, I doubt directly but my grandfathers brothers did enlisted for the US army during WW2.... Seemingly it was very common for Irish immigrants to the states to enlist.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wittmann44 wrote: »
    Oh Louise, while you are both mourning that horrific tragedy in Enniskillen, cast a tiny thought if at all possible for the 3,500 Irish soldiers killed on the Somme in WW1

Given you've just made it clear you dislike Irish people why do you care if 3,500 Irish soldiers were killed or not? I know we can't compute with your wonderful intelligence but at least make your posts a bit more consistent while you're at it.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His right to do so, still an arsehole as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

Had this been in some other parts of the world, we'd be applauding the footballer!

We dont live in China or North Korea. We are free to wear or not to wear the poppy...although you wouldnt have thought so looking at the OUTRAGE!!!
  • Options
    chrisw99chrisw99 Posts: 2,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at the game on Friday, and this player got booed every time he got the ball. I hadn't read any of this beforehand and just assumed he'd done some bad tackle in a prior encounter or other such thing to warrant it.
  • Options
    Beaker17Beaker17 Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Now let me get something straight.

Just because some little crap-head who kicks balls about for Wigan has no respect for guys who died to give him the freedom that he and his family enjoys today and a few posters who criticize me for being anti-Irish, I would say this :-

210,000 Irish soldiers served in WW1, of which 35,000 were killed and of those 20,000 were Northern Irish, the rest were Southern Irish.

In WW2 100,000 Irish soldiers served with the British armed forces, 3,400 Northern Irish were killed and 3,600 Southern Irish volunteers were killed.

We owe them just as much as we do the English, Scottish and Welsh who served and died.

Because some little irrelevant twit of a footballer behaves despicably and a few posters pass abusive remarks, does not mean that I hate the Irish. If we hated the breed of everybody who said a bad word against us, we would end up hating humanity itself.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had this been in some other parts of the world, we'd be applauding the footballer!

We dont live in China or North Korea. We are free to wear or not to wear the poppy...although you wouldnt have thought so looking at the OUTRAGE!!!
    It's because of Bloody Sunday, perhaps James should learn what the PIRA did too.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just because some little crap-head who kicks balls about for Wigan has no respect for guys who died to give him the freedom that he and his family enjoys today and a few posters who criticize me for being anti-Irish, I would say this :-

210,000 Irish soldiers served in WW1, of which 35,000 were killed and of those 20,000 were Northern Irish, the rest were Southern Irish.

In WW2 100,000 Irish soldiers served with the British armed forces, 3,400 Northern Irish were killed and 3,600 Southern Irish volunteers were killed.

We owe them just as much as we do the English, Scottish and Welsh who served and died.

Because some little irrelevant twit of a footballer behaves despicably and a few posters pass abusive remarks, does not mean that I hate the Irish. If we hated the breed of everybody who said a bad word against us, we would end up hating humanity itself.
    How has he behaved disgracefuly? He didn't wear a poppy. Hardly crime of the century.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

He hasn't behaved despicably.
  • Options
    Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because of Bloody Sunday, perhaps James should learn what the PIRA did too.

Apparently if you read another thread there was a discussion on whether the PIRA were justified in doing what they did which was started by an Irish poster.
  • Options
    Forum Member

No it's more your are disrespecting anybody who died in any war by saying that he should not have the freedom to make that choice as your not a believer in freedom and believe people should be forced into things against their wishes.

I don't wear a poppy and I'm English

My Granddad never wore one and he was in WW2 and a POW in a Japanese Camp.

The old soldiers would be very appalled about your behaviour and going against everything they believed in.
  • Options
    davehunter5davehunter5 Posts: 433
    Forum Member
    Shameful but not surprising behaviour as others have said about Celtic FC, these people are scum bags, low life!
    http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/hotline/sports-hotline-celtic-remembrance-sunday-4602386
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The old soldiers would be very appalled about your behaviour and going against everything they believed in.

I don`t give a toot about your attitude or your dear old Granddad`s fetishes.

Your dear old Grandad is one of the many thousands who receive generous benefits from the British Legion Poppy Appeal.

Don`t be ignorant and disrespectful of the thousands of soldiers who died for your dear old Grandad`s freedom to throw crap at the dead, just because he took the easy way out and threw his arms up and surrendered.

Your comment is a perversion to decency,, old soldiers would support every single word I have said and before you waffle on again in your world of insulting fantasy I myself happen to be an OLD BRITISH soldier. Get your facts right before you engage in serious conversation with the big boys..

If you have not served in the armed forces, then keep your mouth shut about what soldiers opinions are or what they may think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don`t give a toot about your attitude or your dear old Granddad`s fetishes.

Your dear old Grandad is one of the many thousands who receive generous benefits from the British Legion Poppy Appeal.

Never got a penny actually
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He exercised individual choice which is exactly what people fought in 2 the wars for. He is neither right nor wrong in making that choice because it is his personal choice whether or not to wear the poppy. Just as I choose not to wear one.
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... just because he took the easy way out and threw his arms up and surrendered.

Unlike Waffen SS tossers who burnt alive in their Tiger tanks eh Wittmann?

I suppose you wouldn't have surrendered and fought on to the last bullet like a true Nazi supporting keyboard warrior. lol :D:D:D
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    It's a personal choice to wear one so not going to criticise the guy

people should have the freedom of choice to wear what they want .
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The OUTRAGE appears to coming from those who don't wear poppies, or want TV presenters to wear them.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    The OUTRAGE appears to coming from those who don't wear poppies, or want TV presenters to wear them.

Only the latter it seems.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    From July to October 1943, groups in Paris engaging in attacks against occupying soldiers were better organized. Joseph Epstein was assigned responsibility for training Résistance fighters across the city, and his new commandos of fifteen men perpetrated a number of attacks that could not have been carried out before. The commandos were drawn from the foreign branch of the Franc Tireurs et Partisans, and the most famous of them was the Manouchian Group

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Resistance#Guerrilla_warfare

Ah I see you don't dislike all violent paramilitary groups after all.

I doubt the French would be happy for the Resistance to be compared to terrorists. And they would be right. They were undergoing terror at the hands of the Nazis and rose up to take action to coordinate with the Allied advance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    I doubt the French would be happy for the Resistance to be compared to terrorists. And they would be right. They were undergoing terror at the hands of the Nazis and rose up to take action to coordinate with the Allied advance.

I think the point it's in the eye of the beholder.

For example going back to when the British were building the empire a lot of bad things were done they invaded and murdered to get that those people whose countries were invaded will have thought of the British the same as we and other countries thought of the Nazis and they would have had a point.

Now citizens of that country fought back but to the British out there they were terrorists to them they were freedom fighters fighting for their country back.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Unlike Waffen SS tossers who burnt alive in their Tiger tanks eh Wittmann?

I suppose you wouldn't have surrendered and fought on to the last bullet like a true Nazi supporting keyboard warrior. lol :D:D:D

Go back to school and learn something, or else read this :-
    "Was Michael Wittmann a Nazi?

NO. Michael Wittmann was not at any stage of his life a member of the NSDAP, and both records and various anecdotes from former contemporaries suggest that he had no time for politics. He was first and foremost a professional soldier, and an officer who was known and respected by his men as being not at all ideological.

Then, regarding his service and regiment :-

"Michael Wittmann was a soldier who excelled on the field of battle, and had no involvement in any shape or form with acts that might have been judged as war crimes. He is as much a war criminal as any other soldier who performed a similar combat role during the Second World War, whether it be the regular German Army or any of the Allied armed forces.

The branding of the Waffen-SS as a criminal organisation has been proven to be nonsensical: the American historian George H. Stein’s study of postwar de-Nazification records suggests that ninety-nine percent of all Waffen-SS personnel were not involved in any sort of criminal activity. SS-Hauptsturmführer Michael Wittmann and his fellow Tiger commanders are among this number.

Michael Wittmann was a supreme and highly decorated tank ace with 138 tank kills and 132 Artillery piece kills to his credit. A record that is unequalled in the history books and never will be.

On the 13 June 1944 duting the Battle of Villers Bocage in Normandy, his lone Tiger destroyed up to 14 tanks and 15 personnel carriers along with 2 anti-tank guns within the space of 15 minutes.

Not a clown or a Nazi but just a unique and very brave heroic soldier.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Am thinking the same, the kit with the poppy on was for the team and he is part of that team.

Instead of refusing to wear it he could have chosen not to play when the kit was in use, problem solved.

One other, his reason was for what happened on bloody sunday but the day is not just for servicemen it's for all who gave their lives - military or not.
  • Options
    ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a member of the Waffen SS and an officer who would have graduated from Bad Tolz, there is no doubt that he would have been a committed Nazi (otherwise he would have gone into the Wehrmacht).
    He was also a serving member of LSSAH for a long period - you know that fun loving peaceful unit which slaughtered its way through the peasantry of Eastern Europe and Russia in the name of it's Fuhrer.
    Stick your nazi hero worship where the sun doesn't shine. ;-)