Oscar Pistorius Bail Hearing Begins

Comments

• GinaHGinaH Posts: 853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Well, if you can't entertain any other opinion but your own, you're probably wise to leave. :cool:

Just don't ever be on my jury.

Quite!
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GinaH wrote: »
    Now his family are going into PR mode...

Insensitive, imho. Why not go home and keep to themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All 3393 posts ? Oh we humbly apologise that we didnt get to read them all before arriving .

I'll accept your apology with the following conditions

Payment of the 100,000 rand by BACS to my account before 4pm :p
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    And I thought that Sky confirmed that it was not OP who shouted out

From The Telegraph:
    15.11 Reuters news agency has also noted Pistorius's apparent lack of emotion at the result, filing a piece from court stating:

The decision by Magistrate Desmond Nair drew cheers from the athlete's family and supporters, although he appeared unmoved.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One would hope that the witnesses are being given some sort of protection from intimidation, but they will get a very hard time from the defence team.

Or a very "easy" time depending on which approach Pistorius's connections deem to work best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Religious reasons?

Putrification in a hot climate necessitates swift disposal of the body. With so many deaths per day, they don't have space to keep bodies in the fridge unless absolutely necessary.
  • stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant believe what am actually reading on these forums. His story is the biggest load of tosh ever. Anyone who is defending him is as sick as he is. Goodbye

Goodbye and please refuse to sit on a jury if called. This is a bail hearing not a trial - all the evidence has not yet been presented upon which he can be judged innocent or guilty and of what crime.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Insensitive, imho. Why not go home and keep to themselves.

They certainly don't seem to have a lot of dignity and sensitivity, but maybe they've got enough money not to have to. :cool:
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One would hope that the witnesses are being given some sort of protection from intimidation, but they will get a very hard time from the defence team.

There are other ways of interfering with witnesses besides intimidation. ;):cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Putrification in a hot climate necessitates swift disposal of the body. With so many deaths per day, they don't have space to keep bodies in the fridge unless absolutely necessary.

Good point. Guess I was too lazy to type out that there could be a hundred reasons for the quick service.
  • PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not a 3rd World backwater. Of course they have the refrigeration facilities needed, especially in a murder case.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    We could do with what they have on the Tripadvisor Forums - a pinboard at the side with frequent comments and their answers.

That would be fantastic. :D Imagine how a flame war would look on it. Pretty entertaining, I bet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    How can OP uncle know what his nephew said in court was the true ? Does he not know some people will lie :rolleyes:

Possibly because people always generally support their family or friends. How many times have you heard a parent describe, say, a young son as a little Angel' when said child has been terrorising neighbourhood?
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before we start bemoaning SA's cranky Justice system letting people out on bail who randomly shoot the occupants of their toilet .

It's worth remembering that Phil Spector got out on a Million dollar bail for both his trials, however a second Jury found his account of what happened the night Lana Clarkson was shot a pile of horseshit and sent him to the pen for Life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Telegraph
    “Although we are obviously relieved that Oscar has been granted bail, this is still a very sad time for the family of Reeva and for us. We are grateful that the Magistrate recognised the validity and strength of our application. As the family, we are convinced that Oscar’s version of what happened on that terrible night will prove to be true."
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I know - I thought I'd done a pretty good job of wasting the day watching News24 and reading bits of the forum - it seems I need to show more dedication to keep up.

I hadn't thought about the dressing question. Perhaps I'll ask that now. :D

:cry: Now I can see there are malicious people about.

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    It's not a 3rd World backwater. Of course they have the refrigeration facilities needed, especially in a murder case.

I'm not terribly convinced.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    Always nice to see a reasonable poster who waits for all the facts before coming to a conclusion.

Enough facts have already emerged to make a judgement on whether or not he should have been shooting through that door, or whether or not it was his shots that killed the victim.

The issue in doubt is his state of mind: whether or not he intended to kill.

I lean towards the view that he killed unintentionally but with extreme recklessness, which would probably make him guilty of culpable homicide. The sentence for that ranges from a fine and suspended prison sentence, to several years in jail.

Because of the extreme recklessnessness of his actions, a sentence of around 10 years in jail is appropriate IMO (compared with 15 years to life for premeditated murder). I have no doubt that he will get less than normal though, because of his money and fame, so he may only have to serve a year or two (with remission) and could be out before the next Olympics. He may also be acquitted on technicalities but either way, he will pretty well have got away with it.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would an application for bail happen in the UK for a murder charge? His showbiz status released him. If he wasn't high profile then he be sat in prison for months before trial.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What witnesses?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What witnesses?

There are earwitnesses.
    There will be forensics of all kinds I would imagine.
    Investigating officers including Inspector Gadget.
  • Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    tangsman wrote: »
    Lost for words over this decision.
    Whole thing shows South Africa in a very bad light.

Oh funny Brits are saying Oscar getting bail shows SA in a bad light. What about Dewani who is accused by SA authorities of hiring people to kill his wife but is being kept safe in the UK and void extradition because he is depressed:rolleyes:

But nothing new here, UK is a haven for criminals and suspects no wonder even the most hardened criminals and terrorists run for safety in the UK as they wont be extradited
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to @phillipdewet,* once June comes around, the trial is likely to be postponed further.

*one of the principle tweeters in the SA-based feed I was following
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if OP is not allowed to go back home, not have access to guns (presumably if he is staying at his parents house his father will have to be careful re his) I wonder how safe he is going to feel if he is as paranoid as the media have made out?
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone release a white dove yet?
This discussion has been closed.