Laptop Woes

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all

The fan in my laptop has gone. I was just wondering if this was covered by warranty? I only got in in October and I turned it on this evening and it said one of the fans on my laptop was gone. I have to wait until Monday to contact HP. Does anyone know how long it would take for them to fix it, or would I be better off going into laptop shop?

Comments

• max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Assuming you're receiving the '90B' error, it's a common issue with some HP models. Get it sorted out under warranty. Meanwhile, you can probably get the fan spinning again by carefully using a paperclip to nudge one of the blades through the bottom vent. Obviously only do this if the fan isn't actually spinning. This will only be a temporary fix, so the sooner you get it sorted, the better.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Assuming you're receiving the '90B' error, it's a common issue with some HP models. Get it sorted out under warranty. Meanwhile, you can probably get the fan spinning again by carefully using a paperclip to nudge one of the blades through the bottom vent. Obviously only do this if the fan isn't actually spinning. This will only be a temporary fix, so the sooner you get it sorted, the better.

will it take long for them to fix it need it for work:confused::cry:
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would imagine several weeks to fix it.

Going into a laptop shop would invalidate the HP warranty.

Maybe give the fan a push start with a paperclip to allow time for the saving of data etc, then borrow a laptop to use while the HP is being fixed.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    It's impossible to give an accurate repair time. You might get it back within a week or a month, it all depends. Either way, ensure you backup everything important and securely erase any data which you don't want someone else snooping around.

If having a computer is essential for work, you should always ensure you have access to a spare. There are far too many things to go wrong with computers, so you should never rely on one.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did you buy it from as technically they're responsible for fixing it not HP but perhaps see if they'll do a like for like swap so when the new one arrives you swap over the hard drive and hand the old laptop to the courier and be back in business in 20 mins tops or if they won't let you swap drives or the courier is a 30 second wonder then backup data (twice) and nuke your old drive then just restore it all back when the parcel arrives