SPOTY 2013. Who'll win it?

18910111214»

Comments

• *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit confused why Mo would refuse? If he'd won it would have been a tad embarrassing for the whole show. ? Fortunately he finished outside the top 3 then. I can't imagine he refused simply because he knew he didn't send a chance of getting it. He had just won double WC gold after all.

I've no idea why he didn't do it, but as you point out, it would have been embarrassing for the whole show if he'd won, or even come top 3, which is why I am confident they'd have set up a live link if he'd been willing and able. It was in the BBC's interests to have him available for a live interview and if necessary, to collect a replica award.
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shades1 wrote: »
    murray was a certainty to win this , personally i think chris froomes achievements this year are just as impressive and should have warranted a top3 place . only reason froome was not recognised in the same way bradley wiggins was is because he is not a home grown champion , sadly i think froomy will have to win the tour de france multiple times before he gets to win SPOTY.

It has nothing to do with being homegrown or not. Wiggins was the first Brit to do it, and to become the first person to achieve something makes it that little bit more special. Froome is unlucky in that respect in that he was the second London bus to come along, and as a person he's a bit quieter than Wiggins is, so the attention he got was never going to be on the same level. You also cannot deny how great an achievement it was for Wiggo to win the TdF and then just a week later win gold in the time trial.

Ultimately it wouldn't have made a difference if Wiggins had grown up in Kenya and Froome in England, the result would have been exactly the same for the both of them.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i can't believe Mo Farah did not get into the top 3.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with being homegrown or not. Wiggins was the first Brit to do it, and to become the first person to achieve something makes it that little bit more special. Froome is unlucky in that respect in that he was the second London bus to come along, and as a person he's a bit quieter than Wiggins is, so the attention he got was never going to be on the same level. You also cannot deny how great an achievement it was for Wiggo to win the TdF and then just a week later win gold in the time trial.

Ultimately it wouldn't have made a difference if Wiggins had grown up in Kenya and Froome in England, the result would have been exactly the same for the both of them.

yep you make very valid points , the olympic gold obviously makes a huge difference . but what goes totally unnoticed during BWs win in the tour was the fact he could never have won without froome being a super domestique and dragging him up the alps like a diesel locomotive , in fact there a lot of people that think froome could of actually won the 2012 tour if he was given a free rein from sky , i can see froome dominating for a long time 3-5 years as long as he stays fit so im sure he will win the SPOTY at some point .
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Might be in the middle of a training session, who knows,point is why assume the BBC are somehow to "blame". We don't know either way.

And there was only ever going to be one winner, anyone in this country could have told you that.

I'm not blaming the BBC Muttley. I'm just expressing surprise that Mo wouldn't have put aside an hour of his training programme for something as prestigious as this. Or at least filmed an interview a la Vettel. Murray at least did that. And yes I know Murray was a dead on cert. it's not important to respond. I was at the ceremony at Leeds and there were a few murmurings as to why he wasn't around in Miami at least or in the Arena. It was clear he wasn't going to win and maybe he couldn't give a hoot. Just wished he had!
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why was only nine seconds of coverage given to Ronnie O'Sullivan who achieved more in winning his world title than Halfpenny will ever do.
    Time for snooker fraternity to boycott the SPOTY event if all you are going to get every single year in terms of a review of the snooker year is a brief clip of only the currrent world champion lifting the world championship trophy.

Snooker is not exactly in the same low league as canoeing, air rifling, clay pigeon shooting, triathlon, sailing or yachting. Yet somehow snooker is ridiculously lumped together with these sports in the brief roundup of the rest of the year's sporting achievements as though it's only worthy of the same ridiculously brief mention as these sports. Truly pathetic.
  • tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Downloaded it last week and the bugger has deleted from my planner>:((jeez its not that big of a thing to be deleted like that surely or is it programmes in general from demand ?)