American Idol Premiere On 5* - 17th January 2013 at 8pm

2»

Comments

• Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never usually watch this but with watching BB and waiting for BBBOTS I watched this and thought it was really good. the standard of the contestants was far higher than X Factor. I like the pannel as well. I thought Mariah was lovely.
  • jsam93jsam93 Posts: 808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Relegated to Channel 5? Channel 5 has more viewers than ITV2, which just airs trashy chat shows and crap like TOWIE all day. Although it will mostly be airing on 5*, which does have less viewers. But ratings had gone down and ITV2 now have The X Factor USA so they weren't too interested in keeping it.

The fact it was moving to C5 was well promoted by the channel. And when the news was first announced it was reported by a ton of entertainment websites like this one and in some newspapers.

Sorry, it's your fault and your fault alone that you missed it. No need to be overly dramatic about the whole thing anyway.

Tell me about it! I lost count of the number of trailers they ran for it in last night's CBB
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recorded the second episode tonight and it was only fifty five mins long and cut off before the end, but when I looked at the schedule on virgin media it says it was only fifty five minutes longs, yet Ryan said in the voice over, 'over the next two hours...', did virgin media just mess up their schedules and it didn't record or has channel 5 split that show?
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Sorry, it's your fault and your fault alone that you missed it. No need to be overly dramatic about the whole thing anyway.
    I wasn't really blaming anyone. I just can't believe I missed a show I've been eagerly waiting for all winter. I don't watch adverts so wouldn't have seen any adverts for it. As for news, I do read American Idol news, but naturally American news, not British news. I just assumed ITV would not drop such a big show.

As for Channel 5, it always had a reputation of being an unwatched channel with no quality programming, but I suppose now it has Neighbours, Big Brother, and AI, it must be gaining popularity a bit.

I think what really bothers me about the move to Channel 5 is that I always feel the higher up something is in the listings, the more importance it is given (BBC obviously being the most important channels). AI is a HUGE show all around the world and I've always felt it should move UP the listings to ITV1, to reflect its importance. So having it moved all the way down the listings to Channel 5 feels like a massive demotion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    docman wrote: »
    I was looking forward to this but Nikki Minge-ache is just painful to look at and listen too. She sucks the life out of the show. So I have to give up on this show.

I don't like her either - bringing the show down :(

Another Channel 5 failure, first Big Brother going downhill, now this. Trash TV gets shown on Channel 5, now wonder ITV2 dropped it.
  • Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    jsam93 wrote: »
    Tell me about it! I lost count of the number of trailers they ran for it in last night's CBB
    I wasn't really blaming anyone. I just can't believe I missed a show I've been eagerly waiting for all winter. I don't watch adverts so wouldn't have seen any adverts for it. As for news, I do read American Idol news, but naturally American news, not British news. I just assumed ITV would not drop such a big show.

As for Channel 5, it always had a reputation of being an unwatched channel with no quality programming, but I suppose now it has Neighbours, Big Brother, and AI, it must be gaining popularity a bit.

I think what really bothers me about the move to Channel 5 is that I always feel the higher up something is in the listings, the more importance it is given (BBC obviously being the most important channels). AI is a HUGE show all around the world and I've always felt it should move UP the listings to ITV1, to reflect its importance. So having it moved all the way down the listings to Channel 5 feels like a massive demotion.

Just to say that I too wasn't aware it was back (have now set Sky+ to record the repeats this afternoon). I watch a bit of Channel 5 but not CBB (since there was no-one I was remotely interested in going into the house) and I hadn't seen one single ad for American Idol. So you're not alone Dizzy ;) And I agree with you, relegating it to 5* does seem like a massive demotion - everything I ever watch on Channel 5 or one of its off-shoots is always very blocky and I'm assuming it's down to their transmissions, there's nothing wrong with any other channel.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everything I ever watch on Channel 5 or one of its off-shoots is always very blocky and I'm assuming it's down to their transmissions, there's nothing wrong with any other channel.

Unfortunately C5 don't care about their viewers and squeeze all their channels on to one satellite transponder, to save money, but makes it makes them very 'blocky'. The larger the screen, the worse the picture.

The only saving grace is C5 HD (171 on Sky) which is broadcast by Sky and is excellent quality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the channel 5 cock up so not to confuse things I ended up downloading the first 2 episodes (both 2 hours) with no adverts.

Im enjoying it, I dont think Mimi and Nicki are putting it on.

Keith is a major bore though :(
  • TiffaniTiffani Posts: 5,444
    Forum Member
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    I recorded the second episode tonight and it was only fifty five mins long and cut off before the end, but when I looked at the schedule on virgin media it says it was only fifty five minutes longs, yet Ryan said in the voice over, 'over the next two hours...', did virgin media just mess up their schedules and it didn't record or has channel 5 split that show?

They are repeating the Thurs 2hr episode and Fri 1 hour episode starting from 5.05pm today on 5*.

Then at 8pm on 5* they are showing part 2 of yesterday evenings episode that hasn't been broadcast yet.
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Unfortunately C5 don't care about their viewers and squeeze all their channels on to one satellite transponder, to save money, but makes it makes them very 'blocky'. The larger the screen, the worse the picture.
    Oh dear.

I’ve always had a big problem with ITV2’s picture quality. Back in 2005 when idol went HD, I was looking foward to seeing a nice high quality widescreen broadcast, but ITV2 continued to show it in very poor quality 4:3 SD. For years I’ve just been waiting for it to get the HD treatment it deserves but ITV2 has always been a low quality channel.

…Now it’s getting even worse quality? Is that possible? :eek: I shall see this evening I guess.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    quite simply - it is the best Music TV Singing competition in the world..... it should be on C5 before BB on a Friday (7-9), Then Saturday from (7-9)! It would do well for them. Ice Road Truckers which has a cult following could be on Sunday 8pm.
    Forum Member
    Just watched episode 1…

Really good! :) I’d worried that with all these big-name judges the show might lose its sense of heart (as happened with the X Factor USA… just random big names sitting together and no connection). But no, the new panel work great together and Idol is still a quality show.

I love ALL 3 JUDGES: Randi, Mariah and Nicki. (Strange… I feel there is something else… something totally un-memorable that escapes my memory!?)
    quite simply - it is the best Music TV Singing competition in the world
    Definitely! It is so excellent compared with the tack-fest that is X Factor.
  • Dilly DaydreamDilly Daydream Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    Caught up with AI today - even at this early stage, I'd say that a female will win this year.

So many good singers going through!

I'm loving Mariah and Keith so much more than Jennifer & Steven, but to be honest, I think it could do without Nicki, I've had enough of her already!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am a big Idol fan and have watched it from season one but I cant stand it this year, the thing that puts me off is Nicki she is so me me me, center of attention and its taking over the show, Yes I know some of the older judges were a bit me me me but they didnt seams to take the show over and the singing was the main part of it all. . But this year is seam to be all about Nicki and the music is just a filler.
  • Hugh LetdownHugh Letdown Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched a bit of the Chicago auditions (show #2)...

Okay we get the daughter of Vince Muther-effing Gill's keyboardist -- who has often sung at Gill's shows... so she doesn't need to be on AI. At ****ing all...

And then we get to see all four of the judges have a laugh at someone's expense. As if a couple of them aren't laughingstocks themselves...

Then we get to see someone who has just come from singing to Barack Obama at his birthday...

Delete.

This is ridiculous.

Another show that continues to lose all it's charms while feeding into its faults.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For years I’ve just been waiting for it to get the HD treatment it deserves but ITV2 has always been a low quality channel.

It's been on ITV2 HD for the last couple of years.
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    It's been on ITV2 HD for the last couple of years.
    Thanks, but that’s a premium channel, I don’t have it, and I wouldn’t pay to watch American Idol.
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't watched it the last couple of years so thought I would give it a go.

Love the panel and Nicky Minaj and Mariah do make me laugh. :D Keith Urban seems like a lovely guy and I have always liked Randy. :)

The talent pisses all over X Factor and you dont' get that baying mob with the auditions, it's how it should be, just the judges and the contestant.
  • DJW13DJW13 Posts: 4,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »
    The talent pisses all over X Factor and you dont' get that baying mob with the auditions, it's how it should be, just the judges and the contestant.

They haven't shown many of the bad contestants.

I agree that it is so much better having the initial auditions without an audience.

I don't like the way they are showing the panel - the members of it just seem to be having a good time without bothering too much with the contestants.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Relegated to Channel 5? Channel 5 has more viewers than ITV2, which just airs trashy chat shows and crap like TOWIE all day. Although it will mostly be airing on 5*, which does have less viewers. But ratings had gone down and ITV2 now have The X Factor USA so they weren't too interested in keeping it.

The fact it was moving to C5 was well promoted by the channel. And when the news was first announced it was reported by a ton of entertainment websites like this one and in some newspapers.

I thought it was on 5* rather than 5 though.

Haven't seen any of this year's - managed to miss that it had moved channel too. The last couple of season's have been great fun with Jennifer, and especially Steve Tyler. Still, at least The Dog is still there!
  • FreddiePFreddieP Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I must say watching the auditions without an audience was much better and I was thinking I hope X Factor reverts to that.

I'm really liking Keith, think he's got a very good sense of humour and also not bad to look at, always a bonus!

Mariah is ok, but sometimes looks like she's got a stick up her bottom and the flicking of the hair is slightly annoying.

Nikki is really annoying, very me me me.

Have enjoying some of the audionee's but none that I can remember their names of, Thursday episode did seem full of sob stories though.