Google is now spyware?

I typed The Tourist (which is new film starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp) into Google and the first link was a cinema near to where I live showing the Tourist! :eek:

Seems like Google is now spyware recording and retaining information about me, the rough area where I live. Don't like that.

Can anyone type in the words

the tourist

in Google and see what they first link is. It shouldn't be the nearest cinema to where you live but it might provide that link!

Comments

• MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First link for me is the Odeon, Tottenham Court Road.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just Google: I've been searching for jobs, every other ad on Digital Spy is now about jobs and then I looked at some flats on Gumtree and bang they're advertising me flats on DS too. I think we've got to face facts unless you're going to use your browser in private mode, the internet through cookies knows everything about you.
  • LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually it sees your IP address and gets a general location. People have done that in signature pictures for years.
  • Norbert5Norbert5 Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing local on my search and I'm logged in to my google account.

I have google history turned off in settings if that makes any difference.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i don't normally use google., but just for you I did. :)

i type in the tourist and the first link was for the tourist IMDB and then the official site.

A lot of it it is down to cookies, I delete my cookies, don't allow any third part cookies and also block Google analytics's.

If I do the same thing with Bing, it gives me a link to where I can watch it in London first, I am know where near London
    Then the IMDB and then the official site
  • chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google has kept user information for years now. It gathers them to target better advertising and better search results, since that's where the majority of its income comes from.
  • BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet that Google is no fan of No-Script, then.
  • s2ks2k Posts: 7,415
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    i don't normally use google., but just for you I did. :)

i type in the tourist and the first link was for the tourist IMDB and then the official site.
    Same here.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They know everything! websites visited, phone calls made, shopping lists via supermarket cards, personal habbits ......

If this were all for some sinister purpose, I wouldn't mind so much, but it's about junkmail! Only a few days away from my house, and I can;t open the damn door to get in .........
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    I love these alarmist thread titles. :(
  • beanzmeanzbeanzmeanz Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My home town comes up on the google site :eek:
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure why this is alarming to anyone. google don't even get paid for the cinema listings. they're just local search results.

every website you use knows where you are.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    I'm not sure why this is alarming to anyone. google don't even get paid for the cinema listings. they're just local search results.

its like thats how the website actually sends you its content or something :eek:
  • dsnikdsnik Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    All my adverts on DS are things that I have been looking at for mrs dsnik for Christmas.
    When I hide the screen from her she thinks that I am looking at dodgy websites again.
  • Urban BassmanUrban Bassman Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well it gave me listings in Birmingham - and I live in Essex.

Bit of a trek to get to flicks in Brum so I may have to pass on this one and use the local Picture House.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    They're spying on you as a punishment for wanting to see The Tourist.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    I typed The Tourist (which is new film starring Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp) into Google and the first link was a cinema near to where I live showing the Tourist! :eek:

Seems like Google is now spyware recording and retaining information about me, the rough area where I live. Don't like that.

Can anyone type in the words

the tourist

in Google and see what they first link is. It shouldn't be the nearest cinema to where you live but it might provide that link!

No. It's not spyware, it's a feature that helps websites give you the nearest destination to your area when you're trying to find anything. You can easily switch this off by reading what's in the last feature in this link.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-GB/firefox/geolocation/

Yep! It's just shown what it thinks is the nearest location for something I've placed a search for that could be near my area. It's about 10-15 miles out, but yes, it's happening with me as well.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Do you have an ad blocker?

I don't see any local information.

My first link is IMBD for "The Tourist".
  • fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    fortytwo wrote: »

the Hitler fluffing daily mail talk a load of hairy balls. To be fair though at least whilst they are making stuff up about Google everyone else gets a break.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fortytwo wrote: »

I think The Daily Mail would say anything/mislead just to get a juicy headline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No they don't. without cookies, all a website can know about you is what browser you use, maybe what Os and the Ip Address. I think that is about it.

People don't realise how much information they give to different sites and how that information is passed to another via cookies.
    I don't mean that the cookies have the info, but they have ID numbers that other sites can read to get the info,
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google know who your and where you live, don't turn the lights off tonight........spooky

Who cares, saves me having to search for cinemas in Cardiff. Well done Google :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Google know who your and where you live, don't turn the lights off tonight........spooky

Who cares, saves me having to search for cinemas in Cardiff. Well done Google :D

They know nothing about me.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    No they don't. without cookies, all a website can know about you is what browser you use, maybe what Os and the Ip Address. I think that is about it.

People don't realise how much information they give to different sites and how that information is passed to another via cookies.
    I don't mean that the cookies have the info, but they have ID numbers that other sites can read to get the info,

actually it turns out that most browsers can be tracked very effectively.because your browser passes information regarding your os, browser, plugins, plugin version numbers, screen resolution etc there are so many combinations that an individual one is often unique.

But the cinema listings to me is no more alarming than for example amazon.com digesting I visit .co.uk