Cold weather payments?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just checked my postcode and it says:

"If you have qualified for Cold Weather Payments since 1 November 2010 and live in this postcode area, you are due to receive 1 Cold Weather Payment"

So it seems that anyone over 60 gets it irrespective of income or savings.

I'm currently bathing in the warm glow of how I'm going to spend mine.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    The VixenThe Vixen Posts: 9,829
    Forum Member
    I've just checked my postcode and it says:

"If you have qualified for Cold Weather Payments since 1 November 2010 and live in this postcode area, you are due to receive 1 Cold Weather Payment"

So it seems that anyone over 60 gets it irrespective of income or savings.

I'm currently bathing in the warm glow of how I'm going to spend mine.:rolleyes:

It's £25 keep glowing you could save even more on your heating bills.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone on a means tested benefit get them? It woudl be nice to have some good news to give my service users, and it's been cold enough.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    BigBitch wrote: »
    Does anyone on a means tested benefit get them? It woudl be nice to have some good news to give my service users, and it's been cold enough.

Who can get Cold Weather Payments?
    If you are in receipt of Pension Credit, Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), you may also be able to get Cold Weather Payments.

Pension Credit
    If you are in receipt of Pension Credit, you will usually receive Cold Weather Payments.

Income Support and Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    If you are in receipt of Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, you will usually receive Cold Weather Payments if you also have any of following:

•a disability or pensioner premium
    •a child who is disabled
    •Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
    •a child under five living with you
    Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    If you are in receipt of Income-related ESA, you will usually receive Cold Weather Payments if you also have any of the following:

•the support or work-related component of ESA
    •a severe or enhanced disability premium
    •a pensioner premium
    •a child who is disabled

Taken from the government website http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/pensionsandretirementplanning/benefits/concessionsandotherhelp/DG_10018668

If you put your postcode in here it will tell you if you are due anything (yet?)

http://pensions.direct.gov.uk/en/cold-weather-payment/home.asp

I would assume your service users live in the same area as you more or less,
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    It seems strange (and a little unfair) that people on Incapacity Benefit don't qualify for Cold Weather Payments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    has anyone got there cold weather payments yet.

i got 2 last year and its sayin my area is entiltled to 2 cold weather payments so far from nov untill today yet i have not received 1 yet.

is there a number you can ring to find out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    kcspurs wrote: »
    has anyone got there cold weather payments yet.

i got 2 last year and its sayin my area is entiltled to 2 cold weather payments so far from nov untill today yet i have not received 1 yet.

is there a number you can ring to find out

Yes we got one last week and there is another due as well. They say 12 days but our first was much faster than that.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »
    Yes we got one last week and there is another due as well. They say 12 days but our first was much faster than that.

How fast exactly please? I checked for my neighbour a week ago and he says he's had nothing so far. It's completely frozen here now, why does it take so long!
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    How fast exactly please? I checked for my neighbour a week ago and he says he's had nothing so far. It's completely frozen here now, why does it take so long!
    there`s usually a letter telling you when it`ll be paid in by.
  • Options
    oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if it is one CWP per person or per household? My mum and dad receive pension credit and only my mum has received a CWP.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    It now says you should receive the payment within 14 working days of the qualifying date, when you input your postcode on their website. It used to be 12. It's obviously taking longer now because they have so many more to process than usual.

My sister only received her first one today, when she qualified to receive it 9 days ago. She's got another one due to her too.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who can get Cold Weather Payments?
    If you are in receipt of Pension Credit, Income Support, Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), you may also be able to get Cold Weather Payments.

Pension Credit
    If you are in receipt of Pension Credit, you will usually receive Cold Weather Payments.

Income Support and Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    If you are in receipt of Income Support or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, you will usually receive Cold Weather Payments if you also have any of following:

•a disability or pensioner premium
    •a child who is disabled
    Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    If you are in receipt of Income-related ESA, you will usually receive Cold Weather Payments if you also have any of the following:

•the support or work-related component of ESA•a severe or enhanced disability premium
    •a pensioner premium
    •a child who is disabled

Taken from the government website http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/pensionsandretirementplanning/benefits/concessionsandotherhelp/DG_10018668

If you put your postcode in here it will tell you if you are due anything (yet?)

http://pensions.direct.gov.uk/en/cold-weather-payment/home.asp

I would assume your service users live in the same area as you more or less,

I get this so does that mean i qualify and will receive cold weather payments?
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had 3 cold weather payments so far and it's only December. I only had one last year. That's £75 so far. :)
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    I've only had one so far.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    We are entitled to two but havent had any yet, perhaps next week.
  • Options
    AM ScannerAM Scanner Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    It seems strange (and a little unfair) that people on Incapacity Benefit don't qualify for Cold Weather Payments.

Call me cynical, but I think the reason we pay more for our fuel in this country is to subsidise those over 60 for their winter fuel payments. What about everyone else on benefits, i.e. a one parent family who live on much much less than any pensioner. I dont get it!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AM Scanner wrote: »
    Call me cynical, but I think the reason we pay more for our fuel in this country is to subsidise those over 60 for their winter fuel payments. What about everyone else on benefits, i.e. a one parent family who live on much much less than any pensioner. I dont get it!!!

:eek: can I hear a can of worms being opened?
  • Options
    GetMeOuttaHereGetMeOuttaHere Posts: 17,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AM Scanner wrote: »

We pay more for our fuel because those at the top are greedy. Simple. These fuel companies could lower their prices and still make a healthy profit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member

I think it's a little unfair that people who work don't get them, but hey-ho.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm on income based Incapacity Benefit and high rate Disability Living Alloiwance but I havent recieved any. Dunno if I'm entitled to any but I put my postcode in and it said:
    The Met Office have notified the Department for Work and Pensions that 3 periods of very cold weather have occurred in the *** postcode area between 1 November 2010 and 17 December 2010, triggering Cold Weather Payments.

If you have qualified for Cold Weather Payments since 1 November 2010 and live in this postcode area, you are due to receive 3 Cold Weather Payments.

Please bear in mind that you should not expect payments immediately. You should receive a payment to your account within 14 working days.

EDIT: Just found out my mate who gets the same benefits got a Cold Weather Payment.