Options

Game of Thrones (Season Two)

Comments

• Options
    mindsetmindset Posts: 23,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching Cersei toying with Sansa again. It has made me wonder why she is still bothering. I understand that Cersei (like Joffrey) may enjoy pulling the wings off butterflies but why continue with Sansa now? (Apart from the Jaime situation) Surely the politics which made Joffrey's engagement to Sansa once desirable, died with Robert and Ned? Why isn't Cersei looking around for a better match? Why not try and marry off Joffrey to the widow Renly for example? (Could that be a Littlefinger operation? ) Surely she and her family would be useful allies against Stannis? If not, there must be loads of women now in Westeros better connected than Sansa.
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/20/game-of-thrones-blackwater/2/
    Benioff: We went down on bended knee [to HBO]: “Just this once. Please.” We were genuinely nervous about it for the whole time until we finally wrapped it. The impressive thing about the conversation where we went in asking for more money, a considerable sum, in order to shoot the Blackwater battle — we didn’t get everything we wanted — but [executives did not ask]: “Will this attract more viewers? Is this something that’s gonna pump ratings?” It’s all about why this story needs this big battle. “You guys were able to do the first season successfully without major, big scale battles, [so] why does this one need to have one?” And so it was really a long conversation about how the second season all builds towards Blackwater.

You know it’s coming from quite a ways off and for us to all that build up and then have someone running in and saying, “The ships are in the bay!” Certainly other shows have gotten away with it. But it felt like it was gonna be cheap if we did that.

The one true god is a HBO Executive! :eek: Bend yer knees! :p
  • Options
    elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    I wish I could adequately articulate just how awesome that was..Bronn..Tyrion..The Hound..all just brilliant. That episode should surely win awards!
  • Options
    SansomSansom Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    mindset wrote: »
    Watching Cersei toying with Sansa again. It has made me wonder why she is still bothering. I understand that Cersei (like Joffrey) may enjoy pulling the wings off butterflies but why continue with Sansa now? (Apart from the Jaime situation) Surely the politics which made Joffrey's engagement to Sansa once desirable, died with Robert and Ned? Why isn't Cersei looking around for a better match? Why not try and marry off Joffrey to the widow Renly for example? (Could that be a Littlefinger operation? ) Surely she and her family would be useful allies against Stannis? If not, there must be loads of women now in Westeros better connected than Sansa.

Guessing they think once they've finish off Robb they can use Sansa to help control Winterfell?

Well thats what I think anyway, could just be the Jaime situation.
  • Options
    JOSWolfJOSWolf Posts: 2,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunning episode. Some of the best tv I have ever seen. Cant wait for next week now!
  • Options
    ally08ally08 Posts: 34,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sansom wrote: »
    Guessing they think once they've finish off Robb they can use Sansa to help control Winterfell?

Yeah I think Winterfell, and it's control of the north, is the reason why they are keeping Sansa around, I imagine having any Stark under their control would do for them.

That's why I never bought the idea that Tywin knew who Arya was, he would have had her lifted and taken back to Kings Landing if he had.

She will only become more important to them when they find out that the two boys are dead, obviously they aren't but they don't know that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sansom wrote: »

ally08 wrote: »
    Yeah I think Winterfell, and it's control of the north, is the reason why they are keeping Sansa around, I imagine having any Stark under their control would do for them.

That's why I never bought the idea that Tywin knew who Arya was, he would have had her lifted and taken back to Kings Landing if he had.

She will only become more important to them when they find out that the two boys are dead, obviously they aren't but they don't know that.

I get why the Lannisters would want to keep Sansa as a prisoner, but Cersei must know there are now far more useful (marriage) alliances for her darling boy. Since she claims to do all that she does for the benefit of her children, it doesn't make sense to me that she hasn't already thought of this.
  • Options
    yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get why the Lannisters would want to keep Sansa as a prisoner, but Cersei must know there are now far more useful (marriage) alliances for her darling boy. Since she claims to do all that she does for the benefit of her children, it doesn't make sense to me that she hasn't already thought of this.

I would imagine with the new Lannister/Tyrell alliance that Natalie Dormer [forget the character name] will be betrothed to Joffrey, especially considering her desire to be the queen. I'm not sure what would then happen to Sansa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She has said a couple of times "if you become his queen" I don't think anything is set in stone really, besides Joffery does seem to take special pleasure in torturing Sansa.

Honestly what a git he is.
  • Options
    Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The episode was well done, the battle surpassed my expectations and you can really see the increase in budget from last year. I'm pleased we got to see the wildfire in its full glory, and it didn't disappoint.

I found it a tad repetitive though, it was a lot of scenes of battle and Cersei getting drunk and being mean to Sansa. Not that I'm complaining really, I do love drunk Cersei.:D Shae has grown on me a lot, she's great and I especially enjoy the compassion she shows to Sansa. She got a lot of scenes this episode which was good. She along with Cersei and a lot of the other characters were cast a little older than I expected, but they have a certain world-weariness and cynicism which works for the characters especially with these two. Can't believe next week is the finale!

Also - this was the episode written by George RR Martin. Interesting.

Oh, and the songs were great!
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm guessing the Tyrell's didn't throw in their lot with the Lannister's for nothing in return. I wouldn't be surprised if Tywin has made a new deal for Joffery to marry a Tyrell in return for their support.

Which makes Sansa's decision to remain in King's Landing all the worse for her. Why the hell did she not take the Hound up on his offer? He flipping offered to take her home to Winterfell! Isn't that what she's wanted all this bloody time? Then she finally gets an opportunity to leave and she decides to stay - even after Cercei's told her that she'd likely get raped by any passing soldier in Stannis's army.

Silly girl. If the Lannister's string her up by her knickers when Jaime gets back, she'll only have herself to blame.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yakutz wrote: »
    I would imagine with the new Lannister/Tyrell alliance that Natalie Dormer [forget the character name] will be betrothed to Joffrey, especially considering her desire to be the queen. I'm not sure what would then happen to Sansa.

LOL That's who I meant when I referred to the widow Renly. I'm wondering if Littlefinger is clearing the way....
  • Options
    BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Helbore wrote: »
    He flipping offered to take her home to Winterfell! Isn't that what she's wanted all this bloody time?

Winterfell may not be the best place for her right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the Tyrell's didn't throw in their lot with the Lannister's for nothing in return. I wouldn't be surprised if Tywin has made a new deal for Joffery to marry a Tyrell in return for their support.

Which makes Sansa's decision to remain in King's Landing all the worse for her. Why the hell did she not take the Hound up on his offer? He flipping offered to take her home to Winterfell! Isn't that what she's wanted all this bloody time? Then she finally gets an opportunity to leave and she decides to stay - even after Cercei's told her that she'd likely get raped by any passing soldier in Stannis's army.

Silly girl. If the Lannister's string her up by her knickers when Jaime gets back, she'll only have herself to blame.

Wasn't that left hanging? She picked up her doll and the director cut away. I think the Hound might've opened her eyes with his "they're all killers" speech and "little bird" flattery.
  • Options
    Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sansa doesn't fully trust the Hound, and why should she trust anyone? Anyone she's ever trusted throughout the show has either abandoned, betrayed or tortured her (or died). I think she's learning to be self-reliant and believes that casting her lot in with Stannis might be the better call since he was Robert's brother after all, and the person Ned thought was the rightful king.

But - yeah. Like mindset said I don't think we know what's happening with Sansa and Sandor yet.
  • Options
    storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Excellent episode, sure a Lannister has to die next week though!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    storm818 wrote: »
    Excellent episode, sure a Lannister has to die next week though!!

It would be a pleasant surprise to find out next week that Cersei only began to do a Mrs Goebbels on her younger son, after having already poisoned Joffrey. :cool:
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I reckon Joffrey will be killed by someone close to him rather than it being Stannis, Robb Stark, etc. I just can't see how they will get close to him.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Winterfell may not be the best place for her right now.

Well Sansa doesn't know that, as far as I know. But even if she does....Theon vs. the Hound? I know where my money would lie :D
    Wasn't that left hanging? She picked up her doll and the director cut away. I think the Hound might've opened her eyes with his "they're all killers" speech and "little bird" flattery.

Possibly, I suppose. To me, it looked like he was leaving and she was staying. I guess we'll find out in a week!

Heck, that's a thought. After this episode, how are they going to top it for the end of the season? Something has to happen that's more than an average episode, I'd have thought.

I wonder if Robb has a clear run on Casterly Rock now that Tywin marched his army in the wrong direction? Remember how Robb was told he couldn't march back to Winterfell as he would give up all that he had gained. Tywin gave up the battle with Robb to fight Stannis instead. The right choice to hold King's Landing, obviously, but I'm sure he will pay fot it in another way.

Apart from that, I'm hoping we get to see Theon have his balls cut off and fed to him this year.
  • Options
    Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought we were going to see Joffrey and Stannis have a fight? Joffrey promised us that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that the Hound is about to become a deserter, where would he go? Surely the only place for him is the wall? I'd like to see him have a turn with a whitewalker.......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the look on Jofferys face when the Hound gave him his notice, in his own special way, I think that really shook him up.

I said this on the other thread but one of the things I love most about this program is the way they make you care about, or at least want to see more of the most evil of characters.

Not just the Hound or Tywin but Bronn, Varys and even Tyrion.

None of them are what you could call nice people but it almost doesn't seem to matter.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ally08 wrote: »
    I loved the look on Jofferys face when the Hound gave him his notice, in his own special way, I think that really shook him up.

I said this on the other thread but one of the things I love most about this program is the way they make you care about, or at least want to see more of the most evil of characters.

Not just the Hound or Tywin but Bronn, Varys and even Tyrion.

None of them are what you could call nice people but it almost doesn't seem to matter.

Varys is my absolute favourite character out of everyone :) I am also fairly lost for words at the awesomeness of that episode.
    We knew the Battle of the Blackwater had to be good and bloody hell did they deliver. Okay so no chain but the wildfire filled boat racked up the tension perfectly and even though, as a book reader, I knew what was going to happen, the whole thing still managed to have me fixated on the screen waiting to see what was coming next.

Loved Bronn's turn as Bronn of Sherwood with his flaming Olympic torch boat lighting arrow :)

Epic is the only word to describe last night's episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh just realised this was directed by the guy who did The Descent, my absolute favourite horror film of recent years, no wonder it was so tension filled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Robb has a clear run on Casterly Rock now that Tywin marched his army in the wrong direction? Remember how Robb was told he couldn't march back to Winterfell as he would give up all that he had gained. Tywin gave up the battle with Robb to fight Stannis instead. The right choice to hold King's Landing, obviously, but I'm sure he will pay fot it in another way.

Now I'm wondering why Tywin thinks Casterly Rock is safe. Does he think Robb may no longer be a threat? Did Tywin fix him up with his new girlfriend? Has she been sent to do a black widow job? She's certainly doing some kind of job on him, for sure.......