Sick videos and responsibility

AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The thread about the guy feeding pets to his python made me think. I understand morbid curiosity - we probably all have it to some extent - but what are your limits? And do you feel any responsibility because surely just by clicking on a link to a video involving cruelty towards an animal or human, you are perpetuating this kind of abuse. If there is no one there to watch the videos, they won't be made.

Comments

• DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    I accidentally clicked on a you tube film once about execution...I only stumbled on to 6/6 so didn't see the rest of it but it was showing film of people being executed and a man being machine gunned in the head...its was horrible and couldn't get the image out of my head for ages!
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out of curiosity i sought out a video about a mexican drug cartel who behead two guys with a chainsaw, turned it off before anything happened though.

eta: this was after reading about it online not just because i thought hey i wanna see some guys get their head chopped off.
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really wander into the dark side of YouTube to actively seek them out...

However, I have seen a few gore-y and incredibly weird as F videos.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch lots of them, me and my brother used to try and "outshock" each other. A lot of what we watched was fake, but some of it was real. I don't do it so much now, but I did get emailed the current internet psycho du jour's magnum opus the other day.

I would never watch anything involving kids or animals, and if I stumbled on something like that I would back out of it.

Edit: If someone is cruel and violent toward other living things they will do it whether they are filming it or not. Sometimes making these videos and getting people to watch them ends up in the perpetrator getting caught and another sick person off the street.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I actively avoid them. I'm a massive fan for horror films and books, I can watch a creepy psychological one or an all out gorefest without batting an eyelid. However, when it comes to real life, no. I have a strong sense of empathy and I get genuinely upset over this type of thing. I can't help but think of the fear and pain of the victim, and the utter devastation of their family and friends who've not only lost a son, wife, father...but have to live with the knowledge that their loved one's last moments are caught on film and will be forever online, shared for the lulz. It sickens me.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    I accidently clicked on 1000 videos of 'bad stuff'.

I didn't mean to, someone else posted the links. I wasn't curious at all. After I watched them I was 'literally' sick and had to be re-calibrated.

I had some nightmares and I posted several million outrage comments about the whole situation.

I probably wouldn't do it again, unless someone else posts a link, then I probably would do it again...
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Heh! Aye interestingly enough, I've managed to be online since '96 without accidentally clicking on a beheading vid or the likes.
  • summerbunnysummerbunny Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    never. wouldn't even look or find these video's.
    Forum Member
    Heh! Aye interestingly enough, I've managed to be online since '96 without accidentally clicking on a beheading vid or the likes.

It is amazing how many people accidently click on them though isn't it? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actively avoid them. I'm a massive fan for horror films and books, I can watch a creepy psychological one or an all out gorefest without batting an eyelid. However, when it comes to real life, no. I have a strong sense of empathy and I get genuinely upset over this type of thing. I can't help but think of the fear and pain of the victim, and the utter devastation of their family and friends who've not only lost a son, wife, father...but have to live with the knowledge that their loved one's last moments are caught on film and will be forever online, shared for the lulz. It sickens me.
    Ditto.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Ænima wrote: »
    I accidently clicked on 1000 videos of 'bad stuff'.

I didn't mean to, someone else posted the links. I wasn't curious at all. After I watched them I was 'literally' sick and had to be re-calibrated.

I had some nightmares and I posted several million outrage comments about the whole situation.

I probably wouldn't do it again, unless someone else posts a link, then I probably would do it again...

This video made me turn off and unplug my computer for two weeks!

Trust me, there isn't enough mind bleach to remove all traces of this clip. Worse than R Budd Dwyer in my opinion.

You have been warned!
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, me too.

I remember years back, before all this online malarkey, and I was REALLY caned at a friend's house. He chucked on a video and said "you've GOT to see this"- it was R Budd Dwyer shooting himself in the mouth. I had no idea what I was expecting to see... and that really wasn't what I wanted to watch. Never forgave him for that- mind you, he turned out to be a girlfriend-stealing asshole, so the friendship kind of died anyway.

I'll happily watch the nastiest movies you can throw at me- but actual real violence happening to people or animals turns my stomach.
    Forum Member
    It is amazing how many people accidently click on them though isn't it? :D

In my case, I was looking up stories about people shot for cowardice in WWI and clicked on a video which sort of moved as an advert loaded and I clicked on another which started with a guy being machine gunned in the face during the bosnian war. Quite horrific! Not seen anything before or since!
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    never. wouldn't even look or find these video's.

Nor do I, I tend to avoid any story by headline that I think will genuinely upset or disgust me, and couldn't fathom watching that sort of video. I know terrible things happen in the world all the time, if they are all publicised for us all to see the news would have nothing else.
    Forum Member
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    This video made me turn off and unplug my computer for two weeks!

Trust me, there isn't enough mind bleach to remove all traces of this clip. Worse than R Budd Dwyer in my opinion.

You have been warned!

i didn't click the link because I was too scared that it might be the Bieber video.

Even I have limits.
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    In my case, I was looking up stories about people shot for cowardice in WWI and clicked on a video which sort of moved as an advert loaded and I clicked on another which started with a guy being machine gunned in the face during the bosnian war. Quite horrific! Not seen anything before or since!

Once, I accidently typed all the characters to 'mexican beheading video', but luckily, I didn't accidently click the link.
    Forum Member
    Once, I accidently typed all the characters to 'mexican beheading video', but luckily, I didn't accidently click the link.

Seriously, I went to click on a video about executing WWI deserters, it was the third part of a documentary that was interviewing decendants of these people and as I clicked, the list of vids actually shifted to load a sponsor advert and I clicked the wrong one!
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People become nonchalant about such material the more they are exposed to it. They normalise the behaviour. That's one of the problems with the internet. It exposes people to subject matter they would be unable (or even uninterested) in obtaining.

A colleague at work was sacked for gross misconduct after he bluetoothed an execution video to someone's phone in the canteen without their consent.

I think the Police should have prosecuted him for breach of the peace, being as it happened in Scotland.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuine cruelty to animals or humans is my absolute limit. I can watch just about anything but not this. And yet there's clearly an audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Seriously, I went to click on a video about executing WWI deserters, it was the third part of a documentary that was interviewing decendants of these people and as I clicked, the list of vids actually shifted to load a sponsor advert and I clicked the wrong one!

That's bloody annoying when that happens! Especially on my iPhone. :mad:

Luckily I haven't accidentally clicked on stuff like that! Only weird 'earn £180,000+ from home!' type adverts.
  • alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Don't watch this youtube vid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnnaliseZ wrote: »
    Genuine cruelty to animals or humans is my absolute limit. I can watch just about anything but not this. And yet there's clearly an audience.

Me as well. It sickens me. I don't actively seek out any cruelty videos of human or animals.

Sometimes, even on DS, someone will post a video without a warning.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who else here is neither? I wouldn't go and search for them on purpose, but if one's linked on a forum I happen to be reading or something I'll usually have a look.

I don't particularly believe in the idea that a normal person, even one who likes horror films and creepy music like I do could be turned into a killer just by watching one or two gory videos, and if they were hunting for them and watching hundreds they must have been a bit weird to start with IMO. :o

Oh and I've only seen maybe 4 or 5 in my life, even though I'm on horror film sites and similar, read a true crime site on and off and download from torrents all the time, so anyone who's 'finding' one every week while reading DS probably accidentally searched for it on Google for ages!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Yeah, me too.

I remember years back, before all this online malarkey, and I was REALLY caned at a friend's house. He chucked on a video and said "you've GOT to see this"- it was R Budd Dwyer shooting himself in the mouth. I had no idea what I was expecting to see... and that really wasn't what I wanted to watch. Never forgave him for that- mind you, he turned out to be a girlfriend-stealing asshole, so the friendship kind of died anyway.

I'll happily watch the nastiest movies you can throw at me- but actual real violence happening to people or animals turns my stomach.

Thatt R Budd Dwyer video didnt bother me but i cant and wont watch any videos with anything bad happening to animals, if i watched something with a poor animal being tortured, that really would haunt me.

Wouldnt watch anything with kids being harmed either
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who else here is neither? I wouldn't go and search for them on purpose, but if one's linked on a forum I happen to be reading or something I'll usually have a look.

I don't particularly believe in the idea that a normal person, even one who likes horror films and creepy music like I do could be turned into a killer just by watching one or two gory videos, and if they were hunting for them and watching hundreds they must have been a bit weird to start with IMO. :o

Oh and I've only seen maybe 4 or 5 in my life, even though I'm on horror film sites and similar, read a true crime site on and off and download from torrents all the time, so anyone who's 'finding' one every week while reading DS probably accidentally searched for it on Google for ages!

I'm neither - I like horror films but don't go seeking out sick videos- but if someone posts a link I get very tempted to click on it. But if I do that then there's an acceptance that by clicking a link you are to an extent supporting whatever you're watching. You're providing an audience - without which - there would be no need for the videos.