Ladies, is this a nice/acceptable engagement ring?

Comments

• saladcreamsaladcream Posts: 751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi all,

I am planning to propose to my girlfriend in a month or two, and have been looking into engagement rings. Despite a lot of research, I am still uneasy about the subject of cost/quality of ring. Some people say the cost doesn't matter at all, some say it does a bit, and some say super expensive is the way to go.

My budget is around £500, and I've found this ring, which I think my girlfriend would like - she's not a fan of anything big and "bling":

Pic: http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/image/Signet/9190074?$detail$

9ct White Gold 0.25 Carat Diamond Solitaire Ring

Birthstone -April
    Diamond- 1/4 carat
    Material - 9ct White Gold
    Stone setting - Claw
    Stone shape - Round
    Stone style - Solitaire
    Stone type - Diamond

Just after some opinions before I buy. Worried about the quality of the gold and diamond and stuff. Would you be disappointed if you were offered the ring above? Thank you :)

i would be very happy with that.

anyone who isnt is just materialistic so dont marry them! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    Its a lovely ring but it looks as if the diamond is quite small, make sure you see it in the flesh.

Mines is a .75 carat pear shape diamond in 18ct yellow gold. I still love my ring but the only thing i would change now is i would prefer white gold. I got engaged way back in 98 and i still adore my ring.

Lots of luck for the proposal, keep us updated xx
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's a beautiful ring.

It's the thought that counts OP. I've always said that if my OH proposed to me, it could be cubic zirconia for all I care, as long as he picked it himself and thought I'd love it. I'd wear it with pride :)
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm, OP I'd go for the proposal and then take her shopping. Tell her your budget and let her choose what she wants. She might like a cubic zirconia or something from Elizabeth Duke for all you know.

I say this as I was once 'surprised' with an engagement ring which I had to smile and put brave face on about as I hated it but didn't like to say. Should have been an omen as I was also 'surprised' with the wedding ring. Marriage was a disaster and when I went to sell the rings the chap in the jewellers said they had come out of a Christmas cracker.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »

I say this as I was once 'surprised' with an engagement ring which I had to smile and put brave face on about as I hated it but didn't like to say. Should have been an omen as I was also 'surprised' with the wedding ring. Marriage was a disaster and when I went to sell the rings the chap in the jewellers said they had come out of a Christmas cracker.

My partner thought this like this; he told me whilst drunk he was going to propose to me, just not how and when. Then took me to look at rings and I picked one, unbeknown to me he went and purchased it the next day, proposed 4 weeks later. I knew it was coming, but obviously not when and how so when he did, I burst into tears and was so suprised :p
  • PunkchickPunkchick Posts: 2,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, wow. Do women find it a hassle/annoyance to deal with this, then? :confused: Is it worth paying 3x as much for something like a platinum ring?

Don't worry, my engagement ring is white gold and I have had it since millenium eve, and it still looks like the day I got it. My husbands engagement ring was basically a white gold wedding band (he wanted an engagement ring before anyone says anything). When we got married he just put it on another finger, now that ring gets abused, but it is still fine all these years later.

I think the ring is lovely by the way. I am not into big statement pieces either, in fact I would hate some big rock. The one you have chosen is classy. You can tell I don't like over the top rings, my wedding ring is plain ceramic, just to be a bit different. I got white and my husband got black.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sahalouise wrote: »
    Thats gorgeous. The only thing that put me off with white gold was the fact that it needs recoating (?) every few years and I didn't like that idea, so I went for Palladium (I picked with my Fiance) Not as expensive as platinum but just as nice :)

i don't think white gold has a coating - it's white all through. pure siver often has a protective coat to prevent it oxidising.

most gold is alloyed with other elements to some extent

adding silver makes it white gold, and copper makes it red.
    adding nickel, or other elements also makes it white.
    yellow gold has a mixture of elements to keep it yellow - it isn't pure gold.

pure gold is 24carat, so 9-carat gold is only 3/8 gold, and 5/8 other stuff

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored_gold
  • Kat1966Kat1966 Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a gorgeous ring (I would say that as it is like mine!!) the only difference is both my engagement and wedding rings are silver as I can't wear anything gold and cost my husband next to nothing in the Jewellery Quarter in Brum! It looks as if the stone is smaller than mine which makes it easier for everyday wear, I usually only wear my wedding ring on a daily basis for that reason, never thought to check the size of diamond in my ring though, was just over the moon when my husband proposed and gave me the ring!!

I wish you and your girlfriend well and hope you have a long and happy married life.
  • maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    I think the ring is lovely and it is MUCH more romantic to propose with the engagement ring at the ready. My husband had the ring when he proposed to me and I wouldn't have had it any other way (well maybe I would have had a more romantic setting as I was in my kitchen at the time but apart from that....:) )
  • TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sahalouise wrote: »
    My partner thought this like this; he told me whilst drunk he was going to propose to me, just not how and when. Then took me to look at rings and I picked one, unbeknown to me he went and purchased it the next day, proposed 4 weeks later. I knew it was coming, but obviously not when and how so when he did, I burst into tears and was so suprised :p

How lovely, lucky you. That's a wonderful way for the OP to think about proposing.
  • Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the ring is lovely and it is MUCH more romantic to propose with the engagement ring at the ready. My husband had the ring when he proposed to me and I wouldn't have had it any other way (well maybe I would have had a more romantic setting as I was in my kitchen at the time but apart from that....:) )

Everyone''s different, I would think it was MUCH more romantic if he proposed and then told me we were off for lunch tomorrow with a bit of champers and ring hunting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beau_Soir wrote: »
    Hi, it is a nice ring, but I guarantee a lot of respondents will say, and I agree, that you should propose with a token ring, and then go shopping together for the real McCoy, that way you can guarantee she will love it.

Thats a terrible idea. I'm not a materialistic person but if my husband had of proposed to be with a "token ring" I'd have been secretly gutted.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH proposed, and we shopped together. He was completely strapped, it was very romantic: we felt we were completely star-crossed, as my parents really didn't approve.

We chose a 0.35 carat ring together, and 20 years later, he surprised me with a 2.0 carat eternity ring.

For me, the proposal and the marriage are more important than the ring and the wedding day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toggler wrote: »
    Hmmm, OP I'd go for the proposal and then take her shopping. Tell her your budget and let her choose what she wants. She might like a cubic zirconia or something from Elizabeth Duke for all you know.

NO NO NO!! :(

A proposal should be with a ring, not an offer of a shopping trip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GOGO2 wrote: »
    Thats a terrible idea. I'm not a materialistic person but if my husband had of proposed to be with a "token ring" I'd have been secretly gutted.

Again, it's subjective, I would like to choose one together and some of my friends certainly did. You don't seem to understand, there is no right it wrong way, it depends on the person.
  • missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No advice on the proposal but I think that's a lovely ring and exactly the type I'd like to be given one day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, it's subjective, I would like to choose one together and some of my friends certainly did. You don't seem to understand, there is no right it wrong way, it depends on the person.

Your right I don't understand. A proposal should be romantic and dreamy. An offer of a shopping trip is anything but!

If thats what some women prefere, fine. It's just not for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your right I don't understand. A proposal should be romantic and dreamy. An offer of a shopping trip is anything but!

If thats what some women prefere, fine. It's just not for me.

No, knowing someone loves you enough to want to marry you is romantic. And yes, it's quite clear that you don't get it.
  • PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member

We shopped together for one and that was romantic for me .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We shopped together for one and that was romantic for me .

Me too, I don't do romantic and dreamy though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me too, I don't do romantic and dreamy though.

You not a fan of mills and boon?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You not a fan of mills and boon?

When in hell are the mods going to give us a vomit smilie? :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When in hell are the mods going to give us a vomit smilie? :mad:

Soz:o:D
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you, Pootmatoot, I have read that article many times already :) It's bits like "the average size of most engagement-ring diamonds is somewhere between one carat and half a carat. And the one above is only 0.25.

Is this true for all? I could push to pay for something like that, but is it expected or necessary, do you think?[/QUOTE]

No - don't let yourself be pushed into buying something out of your ptrice range. The ring you like is very nice indeed and since you think this is the style she likes, then go ahead with it.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a lovely ring and that kind seems to be very popular - I can't imagine anyone turning it down.

I have avoided this problem by informing my boyfriend that I want a princess cut canary yellow diamond with a platinum band just in case the notion takes him. Unsurprisingly it hasn't lol