Stuart Hall admits 14 sexual assaults...

Comments

• honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    incy wincy wrote: »
    Is she one of the ones suing him and one of the offences he's admitted to? ETA: I see she is one of the offences, don't know if she's suing him.
    I would put money on it!
  • sezziesezzie Posts: 11,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smc81 wrote: »
    Or you could argue that he tried to keep up the lie initially but his conscience got the better of him. If he didn't have a conscience he would have maintained his innocence, made each victim testify and had his barrister cross examine and try to create doubt. The burden of proof is high and there is no guarantee the prosecution could have met it so a man who is truly without conscience or remorse would have taken his chances with a jury.

Sorry but this is utter bollocks. This case reminds me very much of the person who abused me. He played the victim and pleaded his innocence and was perfectly happy to put all of the people he abused through the trauma of court. However, every solicitor he engaged urged him to plead guilty because they realised his case was so weak. He sacked one after the other until he realised he might have to take notice of the experts. So then he pretended he was doing it out of compassion for his accusers - not wanting to put us through the trauma of court. What a joke. And he pretended to be ill too.
    elnombre wrote: »
    Yes, okay. The 14 times sexual offender who pre-planned his attacks then called all of his victims liars and opportunists multiple times has a very fine conscience.

Well said.
    It is certainly not fine but more a case of better late than never - he could easily have made his victims go through the trauma of a court case where he may possibly have got of so at least he spared them that.

See above. Sorry, but this argument is wrong, bollocks and naive. This is not an opinion, it's a fact.
    elnombre wrote: »
    Yes, shame he couldn't have spared them the 14 sexual assaults, but hey ho.

Well said again.
    If he had been 40 I can understand him being playing the percentages and pleading for a reduced sentence but this is a 83 year old with a heart condition and I don't see him surviving even a reduced sentence. If he was truly devoid of conscience then he would have taken his chances at trial because even a 1% chance of success is better than nothing.

Rubbish. People like him are like this whether they're 20 or 120, You really don't know what you're talking about. No offence but that's just the truth.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member

You can hardly equate what appear to be consensual adult encounters with "the BBC knew all about his ways".

One is legal. The other is not. If we're going to start berating broadcasters because of hedonism on the part of their celebrities, we might as well just close them all now, and replace all TV with a testcard.

There has been no evidence in the press whatsoever so far that suggests the BBC knew that Hall was engaging in illegal activities. "Immoral", maybe, but morality is relative, subjective, and ultimately irrelevant.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,802
    Forum Member
    BIB - Absolutely spot on!!!. To compare what happens on a scripted show to what happened with Hall is laughable :mad:

Honestly are the viewers of ITV2 living on a diet of Towie, Celeb Juice and Peter Andre going to be looking at Celeb Juice and admiring the satirical element of the comedy?

The point being made is that someone people say it was different in the 1960's & 70's, when humour was Benny Hill chasing buxom blondes. There would comedy sketches in which a comedian made a play for a busty blonde but being frustrated and by a non attractive female played by Patrica Hayes.

It's been suggested it was in that comedy/social enviroment Stuart Hall was free to operate.

But have things changed?

On Celeb Juice the host hit on the moist lipped blonde busty female and riddiculed the large nosed flat chested female.

The gestures and language is far more explicit with for example, "I'd smash your back doors in" openly being said usually to female guests.

I'm suggesting out in society males may now feel they can go further with what they say and do openly than in the past and females have to accept it or be seen as not one of the crowd?
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    You can hardly equate what appear to be consensual adult encounters with "the BBC knew all about his ways".

Consensual adult encounters?

I think we need to know a bit more about the circumstances in which young women who were invited to "weather girl" auditions at the BBC ended up having sex with a presenter in his dressing room, while being filmed by another employee.
    For example - was alcohol involved in the process?
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because Mr Halls said he did these things he may have not. Terrible lynch mentality here,
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    Just because Mr Halls said he did these things he may have not. Terrible lynch mentality here,

So we shouldn't believe guilty pleas? A confession on it's own isn't enough to convict IIRC, so there must be other evidence.
    Forum Member
    Landis wrote: »
    Consensual adult encounters?

I think we need to know a bit more about the circumstances in which young women who were invited to "weather girl" auditions at the BBC ended up having sex with a presenter in his dressing room, while being filmed by another employee.
    For example - was alcohol involved in the process?

Why would a video need processing ?

At least The Sun is there to protect female weather presenters.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Honestly are the viewers of ITV2 living on a diet of Towie, Celeb Juice and Peter Andre going to be looking at Celeb Juice and admiring the satirical element of the comedy?

The point being made is that someone people say it was different in the 1960's & 70's, when humour was Benny Hill chasing buxom blondes. There would comedy sketches in which a comedian made a play for a busty blonde but being frustrated and by a non attractive female played by Patrica Hayes.

It's been suggested it was in that comedy/social enviroment Stuart Hall was free to operate.

But have things changed?

On Celeb Juice the host hit on the moist lipped blonde busty female and riddiculed the large nosed flat chested female.

The gestures and language is far more explicit with for example, "I'd smash your back doors in" openly being said usually to female guests.

I'm suggesting out in society males may now feel they can go further with what they say and do openly than in the past and females have to accept it or be seen as not one of the crowd?

BIB - Things have certainly changed regarding gender equality since the 1970s. Women are far more assertive, Margaret Thatcher becoming PM, people like Karren Brady working at football clubs etc.

Some of the abuse committed by Hall and Saville didn't happen on sexual innuendo type comedy shows - they happened on family/children's shows.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would a video need processing ?

Old film stock would need processing. Perhaps it was filmed on a cine camera? If it was video it might need editing. The fact it went on at all (and on BBC premises) is disgusting. :(
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member

One is legal. The other is not. If we're going to start berating broadcasters because of hedonism on the part of their celebrities, we might as well just close them all now, and replace all TV with a testcard.

There has been no evidence in the press whatsoever so far that suggests the BBC knew that Hall was engaging in illegal activities. "Immoral", maybe, but morality is relative, subjective, and ultimately irrelevant.

Since when has it been acceptable to have sex in the workplace. It would be a sackable offence even today and companies who turn a blind eye would still feel the force of public condemnation.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart Hall is not the local 'oddball' who can be coerced into making a false confession. He can afford the very best legal representation, so the chances of him being pressured to confess are extremely slim.
    Forum Member
    Old film stock would need processing. Perhaps it was filmed on a cine camera? If it was video it might need editing. The fact it went on at all (and on BBC premises) is disgusting. :(

IF and that's a big if it went on, if the source is an ex employee I don't see them having anything to lose being named.

How come the source knows soooo much? Were they making it all up for the money, if the incidents happened were they party to them, could they themselves be a paedophile, has the newspaper pasted the name of the source to the police for further investigation?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always found him to be a puffed up egotist who behaved like a prima donna. Apart from his recent crimes, wasn't he done for some dodgy travel firm he set up in the eighties. Also staff who worked with him at BBC Manchester found him bad to work with and very arrogant.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IF and that's a big if it went on, if the source is an ex employee I don't see them having anything to lose being named.

How come the source knows soooo much? Were they making it all up for the money, if the incidents happened were they party to them, could they themselves be a paedophile, has the newspaper pasted the name of the source to the police for further investigation?

I think in the rush to tell the media what people saw or knew about, some people are inadvertently implicating themselves. It's like with the programme about Savile - some of the people interviewed revealed a little too much (in my humble opinion, of course).
  • Harry RedknappHarry Redknapp Posts: 4,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loonattic wrote: »
    indeed.they probably wont show these type of clips again.thats a lot of peoples entertainment spoiled because of these allegations.luckily,theres still youtube.

Gross! What a henious post. How about you stop being so selfish? Who cares wherever he was someone's entertainment.

I knew you were homophobic, xenophobic and racist-- not admireable qualities in the least-- but I never knew someone could be callous towards victims of sexual assault because it interfered with their entertainment.
  • CMcKinleyCMcKinley Posts: 3,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gross! What a henious post. How about you stop being so selfish? Who cares wherever he was someone's entertainment.

I knew you were homophobic, xenophobic and racist-- not admireable qualities in the least-- but I never knew someone could be callous towards victims of sexual assault because it interfered with their entertainment.

Ignore the lunatic troll.
  • sezziesezzie Posts: 11,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stick this morality where the sun don't shine!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/may/06/stuart-hall-bbc-separate-investigation-abuse
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Since when has it been acceptable to have sex in the workplace. It would be a sackable offence even today and companies who turn a blind eye would still feel the force of public condemnation.

And I say again -- the contents of the stories coming out of the press at the moment do not implicate the BBC in any wrongdoing. No-one has said that they had the slightest shred of evidence to the effect that Hall was doing anything criminal at the BBC.

So comments like "the bbc knew all about his ways" -- yes, they potentially knew he had sex with people at work. But to try to extrapolate this is typical of the kind of numb-thinking that goes on with this forum.
    Stick this morality where the sun don't shine!

Oooh, look at that. More articles that don't point to the BBC knowing Hall was a paedophile. I must retract everything :rolleyes:

The accusation is that the BBC allowed bullying behaviour -- here's another article demonstrating this wasn't just a BBC thing:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/mar/18/tyne-tees-itv-bullying
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    CMcKinley wrote: »
    Ignore the lunatic troll.
    +1 ..
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cor what a pair, get her on page 3 :D
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said in a previous post he was a disgusting pedo, sadly it may be true if he did rape a 12 yr girl, i hope that rancid beast dies in agony.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's always one... :rolleyes: