sexual harassment for WOLF-WHISTLING

Comments

• Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    I'm seeing fear. Real fear of things that don't actually happen.

Where are all these marauding women who rape men in order to claim child benefit? :confused:

I didn't say it happens but the law wouldn't stop them.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    I didn't say it happens but the law wouldn't stop them.

So you're getting angry about something that you know doesn't happen.

Sounds like an irrational fear to me.
  • Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    So you're getting angry about something that you know doesn't happen.

Sounds like an irrational fear to me.

Wouldn't you get angry if the law said women cannot be raped in fact when a man has sex with a woman the woman has raped him?

Wouldn't you get pissed when female genital mutilation is rightly illegal but Male genital mutilation is perfectly ok
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't you get angry if the law said women cannot be raped in fact when a man has sex with a woman the woman has raped him?

Wouldn't you get pissed when female genital mutilation is rightly illegal but Male genital mutilation is perfectly ok

Although I agree with you about circumcision, I'm going to leave it now. You seem to be getting rather hysterical.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    I'd like to think that was the case but the builder now knows that he upset her and he doesnt appear to be all that contrite.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/29/wolf-whistling-builder-and-father-of-one-says-its-a-compliment-and-has-snogged-so-many-girls-off-the-back-of-it-5173104/

I did see his comments earlier. He said this as well.
    "I have wolf-whistled so many girls and got so many birds and snogged so many girls off the back of that, and never had a complaint before".

What a charmer ..
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,526
    Forum Member
    Trouble with this thread, as with all similar threads since time immemorial, is that many are talking at cross purposes and some are just pushing an agenda.

Few posters seem to be in the least bit interested in the facts of the case, preferring instead to take bits out of context, minimise what happened (equating it with a single random wolf-whistle, even quoting irrelevant polls about that!), attack the woman herself for her behaviour beyond this incident series, or go to the other extreme and suggest that it should have been handled by the police as if it was a serious case of stalking.

Fact is that she was made to feel uncomfortable, maybe intimidated, and was right to try and get it stopped. But she went too far by going to the police so soon, she should have asked the men to stop, then if necessary, reported it to the main contractor to sort out. It was appalling misbehaviour by people at work in public - I mean, you don't hear about postmen, BT engineers or electricity contractors while at work in the streets behaving like the builders did, do you? So why the hell should builders behave like it. Job for their bosses (whoever employed or sub-contracted them) to sort out though IMO, not the law.
  • alimialimi Posts: 859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had to walk through a park on the way to take my kids to school and by the entrance had wolf whistling and lewd comments, was considering taking the long way round at times but why should I, biggest bug bear since the other icebreaker, as in, smile luv it may never happen, how do they know that something terrible may have happened
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I did see his comments earlier. He said this as well.

What a charmer ..

One for you to sing along to JW :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNA6ilPK-bo
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    So Ian Merrett, one of the builders involved and the one who said Poppy Smart 'has ideas above her station', has form for this kind of thing. He was once with a group of yobs harassing people on a train. One of his friends flashed the women on the train and Merrett violently assaulted a male passenger. He's clearly a menacing, violent person and walking past this kind of intimidation every day must have been humiliating and scary.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wolf-whistle-builder-ian-merrett-attacked-5603110
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Answered pages back to the poster concerned which wasn't you. She on the other hand has consistently failed to quote one post where i called her "a liar", which she claims i did 'repeatedly' (her quotes which i have posted), yet you, and various others continue to ignore that.

Why?

[highlight]explanation of the pinocchio gif?
    [/highlight]
    thank you to everyone else who asked, i hope no one has held their breath, it`s clearly beyond him to explain his own drivel.
    Forum Member
    explanation of the pinocchio gif?

thank you to everyone else who asked, i hope no one has held their breath, it`s clearly beyond him to explain his own drivel.

I see you've edited out "zero interest in anything you have to say" in that reply which is much like when you gave your opinion and said it wasn't open for discussion.

Still your ball again?

http://www.thenerdfilter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/angry-girl.jpg
    Forum Member
    I see you've edited out "zero interest in anything you have to say" in that reply which is much like when you gave your opinion and said it wasn't open for discussion.

Still your ball again?

http://www.thenerdfilter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/angry-girl.jpg

that`s correct, i have zero interest in anything bulletguy`s posts beyond an explanation for the pinocchio gif.

what`re you bulletguy`s intellectual advisor? :D:D that would figure.
    Forum Member

what`re you bulletguy`s intellectual advisor? :D:D that would figure.

How so?
    Forum Member
    How so?

how so which?

that it figures? same quality of post and expression.

intellectual advisor? same quality of post and expression.
    Forum Member
    how so which?

that it figures? same quality of post and expression.

intellectual advisor? same quality of post and expression.

You're off yer rocker, I'll leave you to it.
    Forum Member
    You're off yer rocker.

or you`re busted. ;-)
  • MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Ian Merrett, one of the builders involved and the one who said Poppy Smart 'has ideas above her station', has form for this kind of thing.
    No great surprise. I don't think this is a male/ female, sexism thing: it's more an idiot thing. Some people (male or female) think it's okay to call out to people in the street and say whatever they like (ask anyone who's overweight, disfigured or visibly stands out for some reason). They probably started at school, learned the whining "aw miss, we wuz just avvin a laff" excuse back then, and never actually grew out of it. It's a fatal mix of a) being too stupid to realise the effect they might have on others, and b) not caring either.

This is the same thing, I think, just dressed up slightly differently in that the excuse now is they're just paying people a "compliment". But it seems to me like the underlying current is the same: they don't understand why some people might feel differently, and they don't care anyway.
  • NoShitSherlockNoShitSherlock Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    To think that all these women hating, male posters are roaming free out there in the world, without their strait jackets. It's clearly not about the facts, it's about agenda, loss of control, their own insecurities and fear, while projecting them onto women. The content of the story is enough of a trigger/excuse to set them off on one.

Is this where all the psychopaths come??
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What damage has it done? UVA rape hoax. Rape culture myth. Wage gap myth.

And what about the high profile women who say they aren't feminists and then are threatened for that stance?

How about the law that says that men cannot be raped by women? For a man to be raped he has to be raped by another man. A woman can rape a man get pregnant have that child then go to the court and demand the victim pay for his rape baby.

Modern feminism is not about equality it is about supremacy.

I hate them all of my hate.

but some feminist the extreme types do not want equality, they want to be superior over men, as some extremist feminists are just men haters
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One for you to sing along to JW :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNA6ilPK-bo

Hah! I like that :D
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    So Ian Merrett, one of the builders involved and the one who said Poppy Smart 'has ideas above her station', has form for this kind of thing. He was once with a group of yobs harassing people on a train. One of his friends flashed the women on the train and Merrett violently assaulted a male passenger. He's clearly a menacing, violent person and walking past this kind of intimidation every day must have been humiliating and scary.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/wolf-whistle-builder-ian-merrett-attacked-5603110

How interesting, I wonder if this will lead to another 60 odd pages of people still thinking he's just the harmless whistling builder in all this.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    swaydog wrote: »
    I'm not saying that someone of a delicate nature might not feel intimidated by something I did, but I would decide for myself if it was reasonable .
    For eg
    If I said " hi, how you doing" to a woman next to me at a bar and she look at me in horror and scuttled off. I would think she was being unreasonable, but it would not stop me doing it again.

Which is of course not what happened in this case.
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=welwynrose;77868989So men shouldn't speak to you, whistle you or even god forbid look at you

When did women become such delicate flowers[/QUOTE]

Erm..where did I actually say that?:confused:

Let me explain something to you...because it's all about context.

If I am out in a social gathering(ie: a club or pub) and a man speaks to me or looks at me that is fine, I am not bothered by that, providing he's not staring all night without taking his eyes off me because that would make me feel uncomfortable.

I also have no problem with a man smiling and saying 'morning as he passes me in the street. I also don't have a problem if builders look at me as I walk past, say 'morning and carry on with their work.

What I do have a problem with is, a group of men standing there staring as I walk past and making comments. It's not appropriate and I and the majority of women don't like it.

It's not about being "delicate flowers" or hating men....it's about wanting to walk down the street without being embarrassed and feeling uncomfortable.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    Would you go to the police over a wolf-whistle?

7% yes, 93% no.

Interesting.

And is again, not what happened in this case.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Those background character details make the man in question a nefarious person.

But not every man who whistles at a woman is a violent thug or sexual predator. It would be wrong to make that generalised step.