Options

The daleks are back

Username_Username_ Posts: 86
Forum Member
They're to return next series. Who would have guessed it!

😴😴😴😴😴

Comments

• Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can day is YES!!!:)
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    They were hardly going to turn up in Game of Thrones instead. Me thinks for anyone who has a problem with the Daleks being in the show, then you're kind of watching the wrong show.

Of course it's fair play to raise issue with the writing. It wasn't particularly bad but I hope for something a bit more substantial than Into the Dalek this time around.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fantastic - some of them really haven't had the chance to shine in, oooh, a couple of decades.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,339
    Forum Member
    This is news?

There have been two trailers going around with them in, one of which has been out for a while. The second one has been on tv quite a lot lately

Anyway, I'm happy for them to be in it, but I hope they actually have serious prominence in an episode this time around. What I mean by that is that they have been around every series but they haven't been the big bad serious threat since the stolen earth/journeys end. Since then their appearances have been rather watered down so I feel they need are due to be the major threat in a story once again so they don't risk becoming joke characters or 'doctor who window dressing' in episodes.
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Guess the OP Never saw the 2 trailers
  • Options
    grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were hardly going to turn up in Game of Thrones instead. Me thinks for anyone who has a problem with the Daleks being in the show, then you're kind of watching the wrong show.

Of course it's fair play to raise issue with the writing. It wasn't particularly bad but I hope for something a bit more substantial than Into the Dalek this time around.

I've no issue with the daleks being in it but I feel 4 times in the past 3 years is far too often. It just doesn't excite me any more as it's not surprising. Personally I'd find it more exciting if they bring back davros on his own without daleks. It has been done for big finish and given to the correct writer I think it could be very well received. The classic series didn't have the daleks back every year. In the Tom baker era there was about a 5 year gap between appearances so I have no issue if they actually spaced out their usage for every 2-3 years instead of every year
  • Options
    Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    The classic series didn't have the daleks back every year. In the Tom baker era there was about a 5 year gap between appearances so I have no issue if they actually spaced out their usage for every 2-3 years instead of every year

I guess Terry Nation didn't need the money as much as his estate does.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member

You know nothing, John Smith.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess Terry Nation didn't need the money as much as his estate does.

I know Nation himself tried so get a Dalek show made back in the day, I'm surprised the Estate hasn't tried the same since NuWho started.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    You'd think the poor things would get fed up with losing to the Doctor.
  • Options
    cuccircuccir Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    It'll be good to have a proper Dalek story, ie, one where the Doctor is trying to stop them invade/destroy a planet, which we haven't had since Stolen Earth/Journey's End. Don't get me wrong, episodes like Asylum of the Daleks have been good, but would like to see them as a proper planet or universe invading force that the Dcotor has to destroy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    I've no issue with the daleks being in it but I feel 4 times in the past 3 years is far too often. It just doesn't excite me any more as it's not surprising. Personally I'd find it more exciting if they bring back davros on his own without daleks. It has been done for big finish and given to the correct writer I think it could be very well received. The classic series didn't have the daleks back every year. In the Tom baker era there was about a 5 year gap between appearances so I have no issue if they actually spaced out their usage for every 2-3 years instead of every year
    The thing is that everything works to a brisker pace these days. It's all well and good to consider that the Daleks (on two occasions in the past, the first of which was intended to be a retirement for them) went around five years without a story in Classic Who - but these days entire TV shows seldom last that long! I think the change of pace means we have to accept that tropes of certain TV shows will recur a bit more frequently than they were once able to. Aside from that, they still go down an absolute storm with younger viewers every time they appear - which in turn sells toys. It keeps the majority of people happy.

I could place various faults at Moffat's feet, but I feel he's at least done an okay job at including the Daleks without giving them too much airtime. RTD was a little guilty of this, with all four of his series having a two-parter that features the Daleks, with Series 1 featuring a further episode with them. I believe he also intended to include them in The End of Time before Moffat said he had plans for them for Series 5 (ironically by 2010 most people wanted less Daleks, and then a great number of people insisted that Victory of the Daleks would have worked better as a two-parter).

I have to exuse the use of them around the 50th Anniversary, so I couldn't say that their appearance in 2013 was overkill. The Time of the Doctor also included them simply because of the nature of the story, rather than because it was an out-and-out Dalek story. As such we've only really had Victory of the Daleks, Asylum of the Daleks and The Magicians Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar as Dalek stories under Moffat since 2010, which isn't so bad in this fast paced, modern TV scene. I get that with only 14 episodes a year to enjoy it's a bit frustrating knowing that at least one of those will predictably be a Dalek story on some level... but then I hope to enjoy the story before automatically thinking the worst because the Daleks happen to be back again.
    Fizzbin wrote: »
    You know nothing, John Smith.
    I should have seen that one coming :D
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Daleks are cool.

Hilarious "Dalek overuse is ok under Moffat but not under RTD" posts are not cool

Daleks in every episode please. Dalek companion? Yes please!

Every Dalek ever in the trailer apparently (Sec, Emperor, special weapons, original series Daleks...)

But what of Rusty? Will he show up, and whose side will HE be on?
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    You'd think the BBC might try and do an equivalent show to Star Wars: Rebels where a rag-tag bunch of heroes battle the dalek in CGI week in week out.

Another example of the BBC's general lack of ambition/imagination/money?
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    You'd think the BBC might try and do an equivalent show to Star Wars: Rebels where a rag-tag bunch of heroes battle the dalek in CGI week in week out.

More isn't always better
  • Options
    UnicyclatrixUnicyclatrix Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    The Daleks are meant to be the only species that can challenge the supremacy of the timelords.. they are meant to be properly scary analogues of the Nazis...
    Problem is, we only see them when the Doctor turns up to defeat them, Its no wonder they come across as less formidable than they should be...
    We should really be seeing the Empire of the Daleks, the one that subjugated all the races in the 50th century of the new calendar.
  • Options
    Username_Username_ Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't it be better to have older enemies for nostalgia and to show the kind of monsters he used to be up against. Albeit with better effects b
  • Options
    stocklenstocklen Posts: 4,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Username_ wrote: »
    Wouldn't it be better to have older enemies for nostalgia and to show the kind of monsters he used to be up against. Albeit with better effects b

.... a bit random to resurrect this thread???
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member

Absolom Daak - Dalek killer anyone ? Also the two trailers mentioned, weren't they specially filmed to introduce the new companion ? As filming hasn't started yet I don't know how there can be two trailers ?
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Absolom Daak - Dalek killer anyone ? Also the two trailers mentioned, weren't they specially filmed to introduce the new companion ? As filming hasn't started yet I don't know how there can be two trailers ?

Yes I got myself confused by that :) This thread started in August 2015 so the trailers mentioned are for last season.....though I'm sure the core theme of "the daleks are back" will hold true at some point in the next few months.
  • Options
    Lord SmexyLord Smexy Posts: 2,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Davros takes the Iron Throne, called it.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    stocklen wrote: »
    .... a bit random to resurrect this thread???

Resurrection of the Daleks... thread.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lord Smexy wrote: »
    Davros takes the Iron Throne, called it.

Davos you mean ;-)
  • Options
    simongvs70simongvs70 Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'm sure he meant to say Ser Davros! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    simongvs70 wrote: »
    No, I'm sure he meant to say Ser Davros! :D

Ser Davros, who took the throne and opened his eyes for the first time. He cried, but it was because he was cutting onions. He is the onion knight after all :p

Meanwhile, Mayor Me is over the narrow sea having an existential crisis as well.