Brown gets UK soldier killed?

2»

Comments

• Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    and if they did nothing THAT would be wrong..
    I see sky news are leading the way in raised Eyebrows at this.

I find it amazing 'deal would have been done in days'..that deal would need money going to the Taliban..no doubt to buy weapons or pay for locals to fight for them.
    The report I heard said they feared he was about to be moved to a remote area, out of reach of rescue, so presumably took the chance of doing something while maintaining negotiations as a cover. There had been a news blackout on this from the start, so clearly there were various options open which they didn't want to jeopardise.

This would always be a tough decision for any PM to take. A hostage rescue is full of risks. Always a high chance that hostages or rescuers will be casualties. If no one had got killed would people still be criticising th edecision?

The OP is about as low as you can get for an attack on Brown.
  • Options
    nothing on tvnothing on tv Posts: 5,044
    Forum Member
    cue some pacman level excuse ....the journalist should have accepted the risk and not expected to be rescued .... whatever information he had wasnt worth lives and its almost indulgence of the worst kind going to war zones and then being rescued with the loss of life it involved .have people no shame or responsibility ..

are you a university student, is that right? I am fascinated to know what you are studying. you seem unusually close-minded for a student.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the headline you want is: "Deluded egotistical leftist journalist gets translator, soldier, woman, child killed."

I think there is more in that one to be honest.

Journalists who put themselves at risk of capture should not expect people to put their lives on the line to rescue them, and our Forces should not carry out such actions.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »

I agree. The Brown-bashing on here is getting ridiculous.

The man's only a human being trying to do the best he can.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are asking for opinions then reading this IMO' No he didn't'.
    Q&A: Hostage rescue raids

Stephen Farrell (left) and Sultan Munadi were held in Kunduz
    Downing Street has defended the decision to order troops to rescue a British journalist who had been kidnapped by the Taliban in Afghanistan. His Afghan colleague was killed in the raid....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8248829.stm

Admin Edit: Please do not copy whole copyrighted articles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamoanJOE wrote: »
    This thread is a disgrace and an insult to the soldiers death

...like as if you would really care about a soldier's life.

You make my stomach turn.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allafix wrote: »

Blimey, you must be really embarrassed about the incompetent Brown to make a remark like that.
  • Options
    ProgLiberProgLiber Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Wow, he did something right. I am anti-war so I consider soldiers to be murderous scum. Anyone who joins the army is evil.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    ProgLiber wrote: »
    Wow, he did something right. I am anti-war so I consider soldiers to be murderous scum. Anyone who joins the army is evil.

Yet you were quite happy for them to fight the nazis :rolleyes:
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tryfan wrote: »
    Blimey, you must be really embarrassed about the incompetent Brown to make a remark like that.
    I thought "what's up with you?" when I read this. After all some people who detest Brown have posted they found the OP distasteful. I'm not a big fan of his either.

Then I read what you posted in response to a SamoanJOE post which explains all.
    tryfan wrote: »
    ...like as if you would really care about a soldier's life.

You make my stomach turn.
    You aren't doing wonders for my stomach either.
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member

I thought the schools were all back?.....