Options

Ladies, is this a nice/acceptable engagement ring?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
Forum Member
Hi all,

I am planning to propose to my girlfriend in a month or two, and have been looking into engagement rings. Despite a lot of research, I am still uneasy about the subject of cost/quality of ring. Some people say the cost doesn't matter at all, some say it does a bit, and some say super expensive is the way to go.

My budget is around £500, and I've found this ring, which I think my girlfriend would like - she's not a fan of anything big and "bling":

Pic: http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/image/Signet/9190074?$detail$

9ct White Gold 0.25 Carat Diamond Solitaire Ring

Birthstone -April
Diamond- 1/4 carat
Material - 9ct White Gold
Stone setting - Claw
Stone shape - Round
Stone style - Solitaire
Stone type - Diamond

Just after some opinions before I buy. Worried about the quality of the gold and diamond and stuff. Would you be disappointed if you were offered the ring above? Thank you :)

Comments

• Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    yes its very nice, and I think white gold is a much better choice then yellow (just my opinion)
  • Options
    Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi, it is a nice ring, but I guarantee a lot of respondents will say, and I agree, that you should propose with a token ring, and then go shopping together for the real McCoy, that way you can guarantee she will love it.
  • Options
    ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's lovely. And I think it would be a very shallow woman who is "disappointed" with an engagement ring of any kind.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whether or not it's right is entirely dependant on the taste of your girlfriend...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Beau_Soir wrote: »
    Hi, it is a nice ring, but I guarantee a lot of respondents will say, and I agree, that you should propose with a token ring, and then go shopping together for the real McCoy, that way you can guarantee she will love it.

Hi Beau_Soir. I have considered that option, but would prefer to buy something like this :). I'm sure she will like the ring; more worried (perhaps stupidly?) about the quality/price issue.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's lovely I am sure she will love it.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a lovely ring. You have great taste. Good luck with everything. x
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a very thorough and generally wise Guardian article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2002/feb/13/shopping.familyandrelationships1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Here's a very thorough and generally wise Guardian article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2002/feb/13/shopping.familyandrelationships1

Thank you, Pootmatoot, I have read that article many times already :) It's bits like "the average size of most engagement-ring diamonds is somewhere between one carat and half a carat. And the one above is only 0.25.

Is this true for all? I could push to pay for something like that, but is it expected or necessary, do you think?
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    Thank you, Pootmatoot, I have read that article many times already :) It's bits like "the average size of most engagement-ring diamonds is somewhere between one carat and half a carat. And the one above is only 0.25.

Is this true for all? I could push to pay for something like that, but is it expected or necessary, do you think?
    Not necessary no. As to if it's expected well you know your GF and whether she gets a bit funny about things like this. As she doesn't like anything big and blingy she probably will love whatever you get her anyway! :)
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a lovely ring and I think she'll love it. I'm another white gold fan too...

Personally, I'd advise against it. If you do that then there will be a lot of talk about budgets and money and it will de-romanticise things....
  • Options
    Bendy WendyBendy Wendy Posts: 1,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a lovely ring but FWIW I'd try and get a ring that's all diamond and no illusion, even if its a smaller diamond/cheaper ring :)

Hope I've not put the cat amongst the pigeons there :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Do you know, i haven't the faintest clue what amount of diamond my ring is, and I chose it! i doubt any loving woman who is not minted herself and KNOWS jewellery will know what carat the ring is that you offer to her.

Edited to add: Ernest Jones have a sale on and some lovely white gold diamond rings, have you looked at them?

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/d/9442537/9ct+white+gold+quarter+carat+claw+set+diamond+solitaire+ring/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ikkleosu wrote: »
    Do you know, i haven't the faintest clue what amount of diamond my ring is, and I chose it! i doubt any loving woman who is not minted herself and KNOWS jewellery will know what carat the ring is that you offer to her.

Haha, true... except it is engraved on the inside (at least in the photo) :o
  • Options
    KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    It's hard to advise really - you probably know what your girlfriends tastes are, whether she would want you to spend a lot of money or not, whether she would want to choose her own ring so go with your instincts first and foremost.

Best thing to do if you do want to buy a ring to surprise her is to get local recomendations for decent jewellers and be prepared to haggle. Worst comes to the worst you can then get the place to resize it or swap it for another ring.
  • Options
    HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the ring, do you know she likes diamonds? If she likes a certain colour you could get a slightly larger stone by choosing sapphire, emerald, ruby, etc.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    My engagement ring was £50 or thereabouts. A fair while ago now, I've been married nearly 20 years. Diamonds and Sapphires. Not huge but really pretty and in my eyes it was the thought that was far more important than the price.
  • Options
    MelodyMakerMelodyMaker Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think it means more if you've gone through the trouble of taking the time to choose the ring personally - I know I would find that more romantic and meaningful than being taken shopping to pick my own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for all of your advice, everyone. I think I will go for the ring above. Wish me luck :)
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good luck !
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a lovely ring, I personally would be very happy with something like that. All down to personal taste and if you think she'll like it then go for it. It's a very nice, simple ring. Good Luck! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

I am planning to propose to my girlfriend in a month or two, and have been looking into engagement rings. Despite a lot of research, I am still uneasy about the subject of cost/quality of ring. Some people say the cost doesn't matter at all, some say it does a bit, and some say super expensive is the way to go.

My budget is around £500, and I've found this ring, which I think my girlfriend would like - she's not a fan of anything big and "bling":

Pic: http://s7ondemand4.scene7.com/is/image/Signet/9190074?$detail$

9ct White Gold 0.25 Carat Diamond Solitaire Ring

Birthstone -April
    Diamond- 1/4 carat
    Material - 9ct White Gold
    Stone setting - Claw
    Stone shape - Round
    Stone style - Solitaire
    Stone type - Diamond

Just after some opinions before I buy. Worried about the quality of the gold and diamond and stuff. Would you be disappointed if you were offered the ring above? Thank you :)

Thats gorgeous. The only thing that put me off with white gold was the fact that it needs recoating (?) every few years and I didn't like that idea, so I went for Palladium (I picked with my Fiance) Not as expensive as platinum but just as nice :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha, true... except it is engraved on the inside (at least in the photo) :o

haha see I just looked mine is too, shows how much attention I paid to that. :D

Maybe I'm strange but the big thing I was focussed on was that someone wanted to marry me, not what carat of diamond they had in their hand.

Good luck!
  • Options
    HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all of your advice, everyone. I think I will go for the ring above. Wish me luck :)

Good luck. If it comes engraved with the size of stone on the inside band you could see if you could have it removed by a jeweller or covered over with her name. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't go wrong with a classic solitaire, it's lovely :)