Breaking: Manchester United owner Malcolm Glazer dies aged 86

SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,537
Forum Member

Comments

• jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rumour was he hadn't been seen in public since 2006 but still.

Wonder what it'll mean for United?
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My condolences go out to his friends and his family, a death in the family is never a nice experience to go through.
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His children have been running things for a while now, so I don't think much if anything will change all that much really.
  • JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pass the parcel
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Absolutely sod all, I suspect.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His sons have been running things for quite some time, nothing much will change.
  • vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea of Malcolm Glazer buying the club was for his sons in the first place. Over the last few years that became the case with his sons (Joel and Avram) all but without name being the owners. Malcolm was never seen and all major meeting involved Joel and Avram.

Manchester United will continue in the model but for, the ownership will be transferred into their names.

However, I hope that all United fans (and everyone else for that matter) are respectfully of his death and not tolerate any ill thoughts towards the man.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sympathies and condolences to all concerned.

He did not look 85
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vampirek wrote: »
    The idea of Malcolm Glazer buying the club was for his sons in the first place. Over the last few years that became the case with his sons (Joel and Avram) all but without name being the owners. Malcolm was never seen and all major meeting involved Joel and Avram.

Manchester United will continue in the model but for, the ownership will be transferred into their names.

However, I hope that all United fans (and everyone else for that matter) are respectfully of his death and not tolerate any ill thoughts towards the man.

The only issue might come if some of the offspring decide they want to sell up, there were rumours a little while back of that being the case.

As for your last paragraph, I think the club might be quite relieved that it's happened outside of the season, means there's no awkward decisions about whether to commemorate him at a game knowing that there's a decent chance of it not being respected.
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes my sympathies are with his family. No matter how old he was, it's always hard to say goodbye to your family.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Malcolm Glazer, condolences to all family and friends :(
  • Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Malcom Glazer.

Football rivalry aside, always sad news when some one passes away.

Had a special type of feeling towards Glazer to be honest, Owened the Buccs before Man United and the Buccs beat my team the Oakland Raiders in te Raiders last Super Bowl.

So as you can imagine I was more than happy when he took over Man United.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Condolences RIP
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    As for your last paragraph, I think the club might be quite relieved that it's happened outside of the season, means there's no awkward decisions about whether to commemorate him at a game knowing that there's a decent chance of it not being respected.

At the height of the "Green and Gold" campaign, chants of "We'll be running round Old Trafford with his head - on a stick" were vociferous and plentiful.

It'd be PR suicide for us to comimiserate his passing in any way.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Definitely better it happened out of season/

In the end though, he's a human being, as are his family.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    At the height of the "Green and Gold" campaign, chants of "We'll be running round Old Trafford with his head - on a stick" were vociferous and plentiful.

It'd be PR suicide for us to comimiserate his passing in any way.

Why? Because some 'fans' might not be able to control themselves? Says more about them than it does about Malcolm Glazer.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yaristaman wrote: »
    Why? Because some 'fans' might not be able to control themselves? Says more about them than it does about Malcolm Glazer.

It will always be the case in football, when Matt Busby died nearly every ground held a minuites silence. However at Leeds hundreds of fans broke into theres only one Don Revie.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They should simply have a minute's applause - that is what they do up here in Scotland when they suspect it won't go down too well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

MUST's latest Facebook post is all you need to answer that question.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    MUST's latest Facebook post is all you need to answer that question.

Do you mean FC united's facebook page as that is something else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Do you mean FC united's facebook page as that is something else.

Manchester United Supporters Trust.
  • jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    It will always be the case in football, when Matt Busby died nearly every ground held a minuites silence. However at Leeds hundreds of fans broke into theres only one Don Revie.

Leeds fans were angry at the Football League's treatment of Don Revie when he died It was not about disrespecting Matt Busby and Utd, I agree it was not the best timing.
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Classy.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an short biography on radio4 recently. His own lawyer had to sue him to get his fees paid!