No Full Series in 2016

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
Forum Member
The new issue of Private Eye is reporting that the staff at BBC Wales have been informed that there will be no full series of Doctor Who in 2016 -

NOT long now till the return of Doctor Who, which arrives back on screens for the ninth series of its latest incarnation on 19 September. Fans should make as much as they can of this 12-part run, as BBC staff have recently been informed that showrunner Steven Moffat's commitments to his other hit show Sherlock mean that there will be no full series of Doctor Who in 2016

Not surprising, have been hearing the same for over a month now.

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So that could mean a split series over late 2016/early 2017 then.

At least it doesn't appear to be for budgetary reasons.
  • jxbrennajxbrenna Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think its going to do it good! remeber when we had the 2009 specials? and the 2010 series just skyrocketed? i think this format every few years reinvents the show :) im all for it and also it makes up more excited for the upcoming episodes :)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I don't imagine BBC Worldwide would be particularly pleased, if true. Not to mention Brian Minchin who not long ago specifically said his goal was to get a full series out every year.

Must be some master plan to appease Autumn & Spring start date fans.........
  • SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so why not get a new showrunner. Moffett is not the boss of doctor who and doesn't own the program
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the programme gets comprised by the show runner unable to make it, then it's time for Moffat to step down.
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jxbrenna wrote: »
    i think its going to do it good! remeber when we had the 2009 specials? and the 2010 series just skyrocketed? i think this format every few years reinvents the show :) im all for it and also it makes up more excited for the upcoming episodes :)
    I don't agree. A split series sucks and doesn't work.
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,261
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    If the programme gets comprised by the show runner unable to make it, then it's time for Moffat to step down.

I agree. Steven Moffat is a good writer, and am really looking forward to series nine, but if his other commitments mean the audience is being deprived of new episodes, then perhaps it is time he stepped down.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would rather have a year of specials than 2011-2013 faffing. A split-series would affect two years.

Preferably a year of specials to give Moffat's successor some time.
  • G_SalesG_Sales Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I did tell you this a while back and was derided for it.
    G_Sales wrote: »
    Shes a recurring companion for Series 9. Simple as.Thats a twist.
    and thats why Gomez was at SDCC, in place of say, Gatiss for example.

Also it seems that S10 will be delayed. Hence why Series 9 is out later this year

Either that willl come in 2017 in full. Or they will split it over 2 years. Or just do a special or two for 2016.

Capaldi is now an exec producer and has final say over things. and you may see more or Maisie in furure episodes.

Moffat wont be going anywhere till 2020 at the earliest. and for those in the know, Capaldi is essentially an exec producer now as well.

and dont expect to see many more scripts from say, Roberts or Gatiss, or Thompson.

Sadly as youve now read the Private Eye thing, Its out there. Your welcome by the way . LoL
    No full series next Year.
    The BBC , ie Cohen want at least a split series over 2016/17.
    Moffats preference to give him and Capaldi a break is 2 specials in 2016 then S10 properly in 2017.
    This is causing massive rows with the higher ups, who may try to remove Moffat.
    But theres a number of obstacles.
    One is Moffats just re -signed till 2020 so there would have to be a massive pay off for breaking his contract.
    Two is Both Who and Sherlock, which he runs are the biggest overseas sellers and massive in terms of merchandise.
    Three is the uncertainty now Top Gear is Clarkson less .They will appear to be behind the new series to keep the brand going but buyers are now in flux whether they will bother buying it now. and TG was their biggest seller and their most viewed in terms of iPlayer.
    and finally there really is no one else competent enough or suitable enough to run it should Moffat be bought out of his contract.
    and those limited few, Ie Phil Ford would have to co run it with someone else.
    The only person they really want is Chibnall. and he doesnt want it.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If true and there are only two specials next year when would they be shown ?.

First has 3 possibilities Easter,May bank holiday or August bank holiday.

Second will be Christmas at the end of the year.
    Would miss a full series but two good specials are better then nothing.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Back in June 2011, Private Eye ran a story that there was “chaos” at the BBC surrounding Doctor Who and suggested the 2012 run of the series would consist of only four specials.

However, Sam Hodges (Head of Communications at the BBC) then tweeted: “#DoctorWho is returning. Fourteen new episodes have been commissioned with Matt Smith as The Doctor #bbc1″

Of course, he didn't mention when those episodes would be shown. And as we now know, there was more truth the Private Eye story than Hodges' tweet. The BBC broadcast only six episodes of Doctor who in 2012, splitting season 7 across 2012/13. And it made only two episodes of Doctor Who in 2013 (the 50th anniversary year).

So I tend to believe the Private Eye story. A great shame if its true - particularly if the reasons stated are true. Moffat needs to move on.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I agree. Steven Moffat is a good writer, and am really looking forward to series nine, but if his other commitments mean the audience is being deprived of new episodes, then perhaps it is time he stepped down.

I agree. I've nothing against Moffat, but perhaps it's time for to hand over the DW
    reins to a new showrunner, especially if his "Sherlock" committments are hurting
    his work on DW. And I'm sure Moffat doesn't want to end up chained to DW
    like poor John Nathan-Turner....
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "What are we going to do? Shut down for a year and make a movie?" [Moffat] asked. "Does everyone really want that? One movie instead of a whole series?"
    So Moffat recently used the threat of a shutdown as a reason why there shouldn't be a movie...

and, if the rumours are to be believed, he plans a shutdown anyway without a movie?:confused:
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where's me pitchfork?!

Nah. We'll see soon enough but, I don't know, maybe it's a 'changing of the guard' breather situation, a la 2009 when we had 3 episodes and then a new Showrunner for the next full series? Or maybe it's bollox?
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I there really is no one else competent enough or suitable enough to run it should Moffat be bought out of his contract.
    and those limited few, Ie Phil Ford would have to co run it with someone else.
    The only person they really want is Chibnall. and he doesnt want it.

Given Chibnall has written some of the worst DW stories ever, I'm relived
    to hear he doesn't want the producer's role.

Do Auntie really think nobody except RTD or Moffat can run "Doctor Who"? There
    must be plenty of talented people there who like the show and want to produce
    it. I can see people like Toby Whithouse or Phil Ford running the show with the
    aid of a few other production assistants. "Doctor Who" can survive the departure of Moffat, just as it survived the departure of Lambert, Letts and Hinchcliffe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    Must be some master plan to appease Autumn & Spring start date fans.........
    An impossible ask.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    So I tend to believe the Private Eye story. A great shame if its true - particularly if the reasons stated are true. Moffat needs to move on.
    As posted earlier:
    But theres a number of obstacles.
    One is Moffats just re -signed till 2020 so there would have to be a massive pay off for breaking his contract.

Another issue is that the franchise is still very popular with SM in charge, and the BBC would be unwise to dispense with his services at this point (and whilst Sherlock is still in production). SM cannot be blamed if the 2 main shows that he produces are massive hits, and that one of them relies upon two actors who are now increasingly in demand in Hollywood.

Victims of success?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "What are we going to do? Shut down for a year and make a movie?" [Moffat] asked. "Does everyone really want that? One movie instead of a whole series?"
    So Moffat recently used the threat of a shutdown as a reason why there shouldn't be a movie...
    No threat there, just an observation/option.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    If it is a planned transitional year in which for Moffat to leave and a new showrunner to take over and start work on series 10, then even though it would be annoying, it would at least be understandable and for a good cause.

If however Moffat isn't leaving, and this is because Moffat simply doesn't want to commit to producing a full series that year, then that should prove above all else, even to those who love the Moffat era, why it is time he should step down. It really isn't fair to keep the position so no-one else has it when you don't really want to do it yourself. Mentioning his commitment to Sherlock isn't much of an excuse in my eyes either. They produce 3 episodes of it every 2-3 years, Whereas RTD produced 13 episode series of doctor who like clockwork for four years, whilst later on in his run juggling Torchwood and the Sarah Jane adventures as well. As if it wasn't already obvious by those achievements, reading the writers tale gives you a glimpse of a man who absolutely lived and breathed the doctor who universe during his time as it's boss. I've never really got the sense that Moffat seemed to be as committed, and if this scenario of him staying but not wanting to do a full series that year turns out to be true, it will prove it beyond doubt for me.

Of course, the story isn't confirmed in any way as yet, and if it true we probably won't be sure for some time exactly what we'll get that year or the reasons why. The story does strike me as being likely though.
  • jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the problem is that we had such a great year leading up to the 50th Anniversary that Moffat seemed to use most of his great storytelling that year meaning that he has had so many problems trying to keep the momentum that he has ran out of ideas. I agree it may be time for him to step down then he will have the joy that he has lasted longer than Russell T Davies did and he should be pleased about that but he needs to move on and stop being cocky about his writing. There are probably many great producers who would gladly take his place if they were asked i just think the BBC need to think carefully about who they should approach and why they would choose him or her.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think waiting and seeing would be the best thing. I think most likely is a repeat of 2009 and the handover occurring. If this is the case then so be it. But if it's Sherlock related then nope. Off you go Moffat. Despite arguments to the contrary I have no doubt that Sherlocks meteoric rise has negatively impacted on DW in the past and caused Moffat go take his eye off the ball somewhat. It just can't happen again basically. Of course the question then is Who? I think they should throw so much money at Chibball he can't say no or maybe create a team- Chibnall/Whithouse/Ford. Still doesnt inspire greatly. And the idea of Ford doing it alone is a dreadful one. No one partially responsible for Wizards Vs Aliens should be let loose on DW lest we turn the clock back nine seasons.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    No threat there, just an observation/option.
    Well, the shutdown (for the sake of a movie) is certainly suggested as being an undesirable option. It seems like a weird thing to say if Moffat is planning a shutdown (for the sake of Sherlock), as rumoured.
  • G_SalesG_Sales Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Well, the shutdown (for the sake of a movie) is certainly suggested as being an undesirable option. It seems like a weird thing to say if Moffat is planning a shutdown (for the sake of Sherlock), as rumoured.

Reading between the lines, if there is to be a movie in 2020, planned by the BBC, after all the work Moffat put in, building the brand stateside, you could well be certain he would want to be heavily involved in it, rather than let someone else either have great success with it or muck it up.

Moffat isnt going anywhere. Especially when EON turned down his script for Spectre (ask anyone in the know.) Thats what he was counting on and when that was turned down in favour of Wade/Purvis, ) he decided to stick with Who long term
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To me, it seems a reasonable thing to say - a film would probably mean that there would be no time in anyone's schedule (acting or production) for a TV series.

However, from the report, it's a case of reducing (reducing, not cancelling, as in "not a full series") DW. And knowing the issues around getting both Sherlock actors in the right place at the right time (to fit any Hollywood filming commitments) , and to co-ordinate their time with that of the writers and production crews, it is perhaps understandable that schedules are fluid.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading between the lines, if there is to be a movie in 2020, planned by the BBC, after all the work Moffat put in, building the brand stateside, you could well be certain he would want to be heavily involved in it, rather than let someone else either have great success with it or muck it up.

Moffat isnt going anywhere. Especially when EON turned down his script for Spectre (ask anyone in the know.) Thats what he was counting on and when that was turned down in favour of Wade/Purvis, ) he decided to stick with Who long term

Blimey, what a sauce you've got. Sadly, I don't know anybody in the know, you know. I'm like Manuel. I know Naaahthing.

ETA Sorry, *source*.