Options

Jehovahs at the door

calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
Forum Member
✭✭
Got caught today thinking it was my hubby back from the shops.. Nice older man with a younger one and yes the JWs....but they dont tell you that now.. (wonder why) anyway he was doing fine at first telling me that he wouldnt take up my time as I looked harrassed, but he blew it when he said... "now I see your middle aged and most poeple start thinking of God at your age more).. then he really went too far.......(youll be needing your siesta soon then?),,,, talk about losing my confidence fast, he said his wife would call back when Im not so busy.... now I wonder how will he or she know when Im not so busy.. are they telepathic as well as bible thumpers.. wish I was to know when they might call to make sure Im not in.. he told me with all the Syrian troubles that more need to turn to god.. I dont know if he meant me or the Syrians.

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Offer them some halibut
  • Options
    wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I just tell them that I would like life saving medical intervention should the need arise.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine used to say, when the JWs called, "I'm too busy to talk to you now, but give me your address, and I'll come round to your house at a time inconvenient to you, and discuss things you are not remotely interested in".
  • Options
    Mass CoronaMass Corona Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find a "**** off!" usually offends and that is my intention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hahah I wish I had the cheek.... Id love to say something like that.. What makes them or anyone trying to sell us anything think that were sitting all dolled up with all the housework done.. no worries or a dog barking or grandkids carrrying on near a cooker.. do these people even care , I tried so hard to close the door over with a smile, then he stuck a leaflet though the five inch gab telling me to read it and that it has an online part that my grandkids will love to colour in.. I must have a look.. when I have nothing else to do once Ive weeded the front garden, bagged the rubbish, took the dog for a walk, got dinner prepared for my family coming to viist at five. empty and move some planters that are heavy, too heavy, hey I should have asked him in to give me a wee hand.. that might have got rid of him..
  • Options
    miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calamity wrote: »
    hahah I wish I had the cheek.... Id love to say something like that.. What makes them or anyone trying to sell us anything think that were sitting all dolled up with all the housework done.. no worries or a dog barking or grandkids carrrying on near a cooker.. do these people even care , I tried so hard to close the door over with a smile, then he stuck a leaflet though the five inch gab telling me to read it and that it has an online part that my grandkids will love to colour in.. I must have a look.. when I have nothing else to do once Ive weeded the front garden, bagged the rubbish, took the dog for a walk, got dinner prepared for my family coming to viist at five. empty and move some planters that are heavy, too heavy, hey I should have asked him in to give me a wee hand.. that might have got rid of him..
    I am the same :( wish I had the confidence to tell these people where to go, but I don't. So now a days I don't open my door unless I look through the peep hole first, that way I avoid unnecessary social interaction. :D
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Open the door and tell'em to DO ONE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am the same :( wish I had the confidence to tell these people where to go, but I don't. So now a days I don't open my door unless I look through the peep hole first, that way I avoid unnecessary social interaction. :D
    I dont have one, memo. get a peep hole pronto... but I usually look out my living room window as I can see whos at the door, but was in another room at the time... I was just reminded there of cheeky people at the door.. my hubby was in the bathroom near the front door and the window was open slightly.... Next think I can hear full converation going on and went to the bathroom door to find out if he was talking to someone on his phone.....oh no... someone had seen that I was throwing out radiators which were lying next to the bins out the back, and this man was enquiring as to firstly IF THEY WERE WORKING.. and could he come in the back gate and take them hahahah, and theres my hubby, asnwering from sitting in the bath and telling him that yes it was fine to take them instead of telling him to push off hahaha.. the man even edged the window slightly so that he could converse better to him... no wonder we get pestered by Jehovahs...
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member

I simply say 'I'm not interested', with a smile of course, nothing else needed. It always works for me.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to say "Thanks, but i'm not interested".

I've always found it a pretty straightforward solution.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I just politely tell them I'm not interested, no need for the eff off's and go do one etc - they don't use that language on you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Must be my face, they just dont give up even when I looked so harrassed, and I was..
  • Options
    SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got caught out the other day. Told them I was about to go out so could they make it quick - they then proceeded to show me a video on finding God in the world and looking for answers in the Bible, and were going to follow that up with discussion but I said I really had to go. They gave me something to read for their next visit and said I am under no obligation to agree to anything with them..which really shouldn't need be said...

I'm fully expecting them to be back this weekend or next so will be making myself scarce.

Think I was too polite to them though. Do they ever sign anyone up this way? Surely anyone inclined would seek them out themselves, and everyone finds unannounced weekend visits highly irritating after working all week? If I was interested in the first place (I wasn't) I certainly wouldn't be now.

They seemed perfectly pleasant though. I guess I'd take their irritatingly persistent visits, videos and reading material any day over more forceful lecturing from other religious groups. At least they try to brainwash you with a smile rather than angry words lol.
    I just politely tell them I'm not interested, no need for the eff off's and go do one etc - they don't use that language on you.

I agree with this 100%.

While they are very annoying and all I don't think it's on to swear at them or the like. I mean obviously people can do as they wish, but as I said they (in my experience) are nice enough and they don't persist if you just tell them you're not interested. Unfortunately I haven't yet done that because I feel rude being that blunt, but my boyfriend has had them come round before, told them straight out "sorry but no" and they didn't persist. No need for swearing imo. But I mean, at the end of the day it's your house and you can do as you wish to people who call on you...
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Offer them some halibut

I hope it's good enough.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell them you don't need your dive tarmacing.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About eight years ago we went to Nerja in Spain on holiday, One lunchtime we decided to sit in a pretty square near a cafe and my hubby went to get some food..... A man in a panama hat came over to talk, very polite and English, He started off by saying that him and his family had moved to Nerja some years before and what a pretty place it was .. I agreed and thought what a nice person.. then he pointed over to a big billlboard I hadnt noticed telling the way to a church with a map... he said to have a look and visit as it was so nice.... I said I would then two others joined with big beaming smiles carrying leaflets and books.. then it dawned on me..... Not on holiday too.. cant get a rest at all.... Just then my hubby came back carrying food and the threesome said hello to him.... but he wasnt as pleasant as me and said that we were about to eat lunch.... then the man said.... Well we ll leaveyou alone to enjoy, but we ll see you in the church.. well you know the rest, why cant they leave people alone..
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you do end up in dialogue with a JW, here are some good questions to ask them.

http://freeminds.org/psych/openmind.htm
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe I have been blacklisted now for many years they avoid my property when I told them many years ago what I would do if they ever stepped foot on my property again to peddle religion.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see no need to be rude to them, use abusive language, or threaten violence. A polite "No thank you, I'm not interested, please add me to your list of houses not to call on in the future" has always worked for me in the past.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Offer to show them your huge and varied collection of buttplugs.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they ask "Do you want to be a Witness?"

Tell them "I never even saw the accident!" :)
  • Options
    HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 12,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they sell you their ways they get a cut of your income each month.

I just say "no english"
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a three storey town house, and the lounge is on the first floor so we have a door intercom.
    When the buzzer goes I pick up the phone and if it's not someone I know I just say "Hello?"
    If they say "Can we have a word?" I say "About what?"
    If they don't wish to say I politely say, "Goodbye."
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Just say, "I'm not interested thank you. Please don't knock on my door again."
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I got caught out the other day. Told them I was about to go out so could they make it quick - they then proceeded to show me a video on finding God in the world and looking for answers in the Bible,..

They showed you a video? :o How did they do that? Did they turn up with an audio visual display?