Options

How long will Corbyn last as Labour leader?

MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With half the shadow cabinet resigning and the party deeply split how long will Corbyn last as leader?

I think he will be leader for just over 1 year before his failure as leader causes a challenge.

How long will Corbyn last as Labour leader? 167 votes

less than 1 year
17% 30 votes
1-2 years
34% 58 votes
2-4 years
14% 25 votes
until at least 2020
32% 54 votes

Comments

• Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A poll may be along shortly - ah yes here it is :)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Labour never ditched Milliband even though they knew as soon as he was chosen that they'd lose the next election.

So we'll be back here again in 5 years.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    With half the shadow cabinet resigning and the party deeply split how long will Corbyn last as leader?

I think he will be leader for just over 1 year before his failure as leader causes a challenge.

For two Labour Party Conferences is my guess with a vote of no confidence at the second one.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the issue is Corbyn, although his weaknesses will become transparently obvious very, very quickly.

The problem is that's he's just a figurehead, someone who encapsulates long lost values. The real winners of this election have been those who wanted Labour to return to its roots. Specifically, policies, a way of thinking and a political culture that were abandoned decades ago.

They control the destiny of the party now. They'll cling to every inch of the ground they've gained. They will brush aside the polls, shrug off all criticism as bias and predictable sneering and lay siege to Social Media.

They will decide whether Corbyn goes. The only relevant question is: is there anyone else like him who, in their eyes, could do a better job?

My guess is that there isn't, so 2020 it is.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    About 3 years, when Osbourne is Tory leader and doing well, and Labour polling about 25% the prospect of electoral annihilation will do for him. The whole thing is IDS and the Tory leadership all over again
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He will be 71 in 2020. 76 in 2025 if he survives a full Parliament. He clearly doesn't believe in early retirement and giving younger people a chance in the workplace.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Labour's poll ratings are in the gutter, he, himself, will step down. He won't even need to be forced out.
  • Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    About 3 years, when Osbourne is Tory leader and doing well, and Labour polling about 25% the prospect of electoral annihilation will do for him. The whole thing is IDS and the Tory leadership all over again

That's what the Tories fear, the unknown unknown; they didn't fear any of the other three but do fear Corbyn being ousted before the next election and being replaced with a charismatic leader not yet to the fore.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as threads go, and attacking Corbyn, this really is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Sad.
  • Options
    TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why make predictions? I have no idea and neither does anyone else.
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    As far as threads go, and attacking Corbyn, this really is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Sad.
    Given large swathes of Labour are already refusing to serve Corbyn, it seems a fair question
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not seen what he's like at taking Cameron on in Prime Minister's Questions, so I can't even guess. I need to see what his responses are, how confident he is when taking someone on and if he can back members of the Conservatives into a corner before I can take a guess on this.
  • Options
    drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he'll be 71 come next election, too old for an ageist society me thinks
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    He will be 71 in 2020. 76 in 2025 if he survives a full Parliament. He clearly doesn't believe in early retirement and giving younger people a chance in the workplace.

Nor did Winston Churchill.....and that worked out ok.:kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    That's what the Tories fear, the unknown unknown; they didn't fear any of the other three but do fear Corbyn being ousted before the next election and being replaced with a charismatic leader not yet to the fore.

Yep, it could very well be the reason why the right-wing press were always criticising him for. Corbyn might surprise people though.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With Tom Watson waiting in the wings.. not long.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could last some time. When one looks at Brown and Miliband they were retained as leader even though they did not exactly shine or appeal to attract voters from anyone other than the Party faithful.

Corbyn,, no doubt, will be considered the best thing since sliced bread but I imagine his appeal to attract more voters and therefore gain actual seats outside Labour heartlands will be negligible.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

Well not naming any MP's by name I will point out that he isn't the only MP who didn't /doesn't agree with early retirement and giving younger people a chance in the workplace ;-)
  • Options
    jassijassi Posts: 7,895
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    Given large swathes of Labour are already refusing to serve Corbyn, it seems a fair question

A number of disaffected front-benchers can hardly be called a swathe :D
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends where Corbyn's support is coming from as to his success. If it is coming from traditional Labour constituencies then it will make little or no difference, he needs to attract people from the marginal, but looking at those who do not want to serve on the front bench under his leadership it appears that most support for him will not arrive from that direction, but mainly from the safe Labour seats.

There was a poll on TV I saw this morning that indicated that voters would be less likely to vote Labour under Corbyn.
  • Options
    ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    There was a poll on TV I saw this morning that indicated that voters would be less likely to vote Labour under Corbyn.

The polls are about to get A LOT worse for Labour.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All things being equal I don't see any reason that he couldn't last until 2020 but that's rather unlikely because of all those who want him to do the difficult shake-up bit before swanning in like it was all their doing and how they were behind him all the way, after all how else do you stab someone in the back...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With Tom Watson waiting in the wings.. not long.

I was impressed by Tom's speech. I think Tom might do well when up against Cameron. Tom's pretty sharp.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    He'll last longer than some people's flounces I imagine.
  • Options
    deptfordbakerdeptfordbaker Posts: 22,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very hard to get rid of a Labour leader if they don't want to go.

Plus he has the biggest mandate ever. Any attempt by 'New Labour' to depose him will start a civil war in the party. None of his supporters expect to really win, they are more interested in remaking the Labour party back in to a real party of the left.