Options

Pet Euthanasia

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
Forum Member
Just seen in the advice forum asking for advice how best to deal with putting your pets down, thought id start a discussion here about peoples thoughts on it. Ive never had a pet, parents never really liked them but I would love one in the future. I really dont like the idea of pet euthanasia though. People say you cant put animals through all that pain etc, which is true I agree. But I think its so hypocritical how its classed as 'murder' if a human being wants help to die if theyre suffering and dont want to carry on anymore. Animals experience the same pain and upset as humans do when theyre ill evidently, so why is it ok to put them down and not help terminally ill people to die? I really dont think Id be able to put my pet down if it was ill. What are your thoughts, anyone let their pets die naturally when it was terminally ill? Do vets recommend you let them die naturally?

Comments

• Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Animals experience the same pain and upset as humans do when theyre ill evidently, so why is it ok to put them down and not help terminally ill people to die?
    Which is exactly why someone of a sound mind should be allowed to choose to die rather than be made to wait to die of a terminal condition.

Basic humanity.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    elenaleeds wrote: »
    Just seen in the advice forum asking for advice how best to deal with putting your pets down, thought id start a discussion here about peoples thoughts on it. Ive never had a pet, parents never really liked them but I would love one in the future. I really dont like the idea of pet euthanasia though. People say you cant put animals through all that pain etc, which is true I agree. But I think its so hypocritical how its classed as 'murder' if a human being wants help to die if theyre suffering and dont want to carry on anymore. Animals experience the same pain and upset as humans do when theyre ill evidently, so why is it ok to put them down and not help terminally ill people to die? I really dont think Id be able to put my pet down if it was ill. What are your thoughts, anyone let their pets die naturally when it was terminally ill? Do vets recommend you let them die naturally?

I have 2 dogs now, one of them will be 11 next month and I pray to goodness that when it's her time, she will 'go' in her sleep.

My 3 childhood dogs all had to be put to sleep (on vets recommendations) and it is such a horrible thing to have to do. I am absolutely dreading the thought of having to do it again!

But I do think that when the time has come, then the only responsible thing to do is to what is best for rover. Even if that means putting him to sleep.

EDIT: My dog is not called rover btw,I was using that as an example!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have 2 dogs now, one of them will be 11 next month and I pray to goodness that when it's her time, she will 'go' in her sleep.

My 3 childhood dogs all had to be put to sleep (on vets recommendations) and it is such a horrible thing to have to do. I am absolutely dreading the thought of having to do it again!

But I do think that when the time has come, then the only responsible thing to do is to what is best for rover. Even if that means putting him to sleep.

I can understand both sides, even without ever having a pet Im dreading the day I might have to do the same. It just doesnt seem right. A human can tell you whether they want to go or not, a dog can't. I dont know which is worse, waiting for them to die naturally or putting them to sleep!
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand both sides, even without ever having a pet Im dreading the day I might have to do the same. It just doesnt seem right. A human can tell you whether they want to go or not, a dog can't. I dont know which is worse, waiting for them to die naturally or putting them to sleep!

Believe me, being able to stop your much loved pet suffering is far preferential to not being able to and having had a few pets that have gone through this, your pet can certainly "let you know" when the time has come.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the animal is suffering and in pain, the owner has to take responsibility for what happens next as animals cannot decide for themselves.
    I had to have a cat put down once - she was elderly and blind and had massive tumours which meant she could only crawl. She was miserable and too frail for treatment and was beginning to suffer. I went into the 'room' with her and held her. It was all over in seconds. To let her die naturally would have been to inlict more suffering on her - she deserved better.
  • Options
    WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a horrible decision to make, and I swear that was a look of betrayal in the eyes of each of my three pets I've had to hold while the vet gave the jab.

But, it was their time. What was I to do with a cat that physically couldn't eat or drink, was in serious pain and had already tried once to "go off and die" (cat owners will understand this one)? I did what I had to do as her best friend and ended the suffering. The same with a rabbit the size of a dog and another cat (the other one's grandson) - I did the only thing I could to stop the hurt.

And you know what? If I'm laying there dying of cancer in excruciating pain, unable to talk, unable to eat, drink, enjoy, I'd pray to gods I don't even believe in that someone would do the same for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah I guess I cant really make an opinion having had no pets, its just something Ive always thought about, and thought it was a little bit cruel.
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the arguments against euthanasia for humans is that people may worry about becoming a burden to their family and therefore choose to die when it's not really necessary, or their illness doesn't really warrant it, but they feel "guilty" for requiring care from their loved ones.

Obviously an animal is incapable of such thoughts, so it's not an issue. Your dog wouldn't just take himself off to the vets if he became ill, but your elderly parent (or whatever) might. Not the vets of course.

Not my opinion particularly, but one of the arguments put forward by the anti-euthanasia groups.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member

Hiya :),

Well this is my story, my dog suffered from epilepsy and his seizures began to get progressively worse and one night he started convulsing and didn’t come out of it again. We rushed him to the vet when it became obvious that it wasn’t like the other ones and he advised us that he wouldn’t be coming out of it and that euthanasia was the only option. I held him in my arms and he died literally in seconds of being injected. The vet consoled me by saying that he must have been very close to death anyway for it to have been so quick.

I was devastated as he was my dog (my family called him my shadow cause he was always beside me and near the end of my shift would go outside and wait for me to come home). But he was 9 years old and he suffered greatly when he had those seizures and I vehemently believe that the quality of life is important no matter if you are a human or an animal. He was dying and we decided to let him die in peace rather than having it drawn out and I think that was the only humane course of action.

I believe that the option should be available for anyone whose quality of life is such affected that they don’t actually have a life anyway. I don’t understand how anyone can deny, human or animal, the right to die in peace and with dignity when there is no hope of change in their prognosis. Why should they be made to suffer, often in great pain and torment just to pacify other people’s ‘moral’ or religious beliefs. Honestly I find it monstrous and completely without compassion, mercy or empathy.
  • Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I guess I cant really make an opinion having had no pets, its just something Ive always thought about, and thought it was a little bit cruel.

How can it be cruel to alleviate suffering?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is infinitely more cruel to let the animal suffer when they are in obvious pain and discomfort. You can tell when an animal wants to die. Perhaps if they could do it themselves they would but they depend on us for everything else so why not this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    We had our cat put to sleep a few years ago, i had grown up with her and she often used to nap on my bed and generally stay close to me all the time. Was horrible when she was put to sleep as I was away at Uni (not that i could have gone to the vets anyway) and to be honest, i cant even look at that vets surgery today or even think about her as i get too upset and it was over 2 years ago.

But at the end of the day, she had tumours in her head and had we not had her put to sleep then lord only knows what the poor thing would have gone through.

Difficult decision to make but quite often the right one.
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Woul you still think it cruel when an 18 year old deaf dog with cataracts having had a full and loving life with us, suddenly loses her back legs and collapses, cant get up to pee or poop, looks at you with eyes that say "my time has come"

Yes we wrapped her in a blanket and did the right thing for her, the vet (spanish as we live en Spain) was as upset as we were, but what you are saying is we should have left the poor animal. We were extremely distressed, you have neve rhad pets so really cannot know how it is when that time comes.

All pet owners hope their much loved pets go in their sleep, most of ours have but it doesnt always happen that conveniently.
    We bought her home and she is now still with us being buried in the garden.

Gerenerally vets anywhere will not put a healthy animal down, it is a very much last resort, and yes is the best think to do, hence the clinic in Switzerland Dignitas.
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my dog put to sleep 2 years ago when his back legs and hips, which had always caused him problems because of a growth defect, suddenly gave way completely. He was in a lot of pain, couldn't walk or even go to the toilet unaided and would have had absolutely no quality of life, but he probably wouldn't have died naturally, maybe for many more months or years.

Allowing him to carry on like that would have been incredibly cruel and it would have been a miserable existence for him. Letting him die peacefully and quickly was the right thing to do and I have absolutely no regrets, even though it was heartbreaking.
  • Options
    trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    strap them across the front of a cannon and blow them away with a shout of "say hello to the cap'n's daughter ye landlubbing beastie!"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my dog put to sleep 2 years ago when his back legs and hips, which had always caused him problems because of a growth defect, suddenly gave way completely. He was in a lot of pain, couldn't walk or even go to the toilet unaided and would have had absolutely no quality of life, but he probably wouldn't have died naturally, maybe for many more months or years.

Allowing him to carry on like that would have been incredibly cruel and it would have been a miserable existence for him. Letting him die peacefully and quickly was the right thing to do and I have absolutely no regrets, even though it was heartbreaking.

Exactly the case with my rottie. I had her put to sleep because it was the kindest thing I could do for her.

And I firmly believe that people should have the right to be euthanised too if the circumstances are so dire that they will suffer a painful and drawn out death.

Trevalyn - lol :D
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to have my cat put to sleep a few weeks ago. She had a tumour which had taken away the use of one leg but she was still eating and purring. Then I came downstairs one morning and she had lost the use of the other - she was quite distresed - we spent the morning stroking her and keeping her calm until it was time to take her to the vet.

The argument is quality of life. A cat isn't going to adjust to not being able to move about. It isn't going to use a wheelchair, watch TV or do crossword puzzles.

But I am in favour of people having that right of choice too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ending a pets suffering is the kindest thing you can do. if you arent prepared to do this 1 final act of kindness for a pet in pain with poor quality of life, you shouldnt own a pet in my opinion. we had our 10 year old collie x put to sleep a couple of months ago, she had arthritis in her legs and hips, was becoming incontinent both urine and faeces, but she wouldnt have died from either of those any time soon. she panicked when she messed in the house as she was always a clean dog, even though we never told her off for it. she stuggled to squat to do her business when she was outside. she couldnt run as she loved to do. we put her down before her quality of life deteriorated to the extent all she knew was pain. she had a good last day, a nice walk, lots of treats, and ended with a trip in the car which she loved to do. im happy she went while she still had some quality of life. the vet agreed she was going downhill quite quickly and that a lot of owners leave it too long so the pet then suffers with their ailments before they let go. i always said from the day i got her as a 8 week old pup that i would do everything i could to give her a happy long life and not let her suffer at the end. i did that for her, and although i felt awful having her put down, i was with her until the end.