Is Doctor Who Running out of Steam?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
Forum Member
Is it? It seems that way to me. everything about it these days say's to me it already been done. Last night episode with the Cybermen was jast a plain rip off of the Borg from Star Trek only with a lousy story. This series has been the worst so far, I carn't even remember any of them. Does anyone else think it's running out of Steam?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the contrary.....its on FIRRRRE :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quality is not important when it is not on air enough in the 50th year to gather any real steam.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    Before we continue, can we just check to ask if this is a parody thread or not? No offense. :)
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.j. wrote: »
    Is it? It seems that way to me. everything about it these days say's to me it already been done. Last night episode with the Cybermen was jast a plain rip off of the Borg from Star Trek only with a lousy story. This series has been the worst so far, I carn't even remember any of them. Does anyone else think it's running out of Steam?

No, Doctor Who is not running out of steam (imo). I'm loving the current series, and don't get the negativity I see on this forum one bit.

Oh, and the Borg are a rip off of the Cybermen, not the other way round.
  • Mike_DalbyMike_Dalby Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    emby2 wrote: »
    Before we continue, can we just check to ask if this is a parody thread or not? No offense. :)

I deserve that. *hangs head

On topic, I agree with Meddlingmonkey.
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    Is it? It seems that way to me. everything about it these days say's to me it already been done. Last night episode with the Cybermen was jast a plain rip off of the Borg from Star Trek only with a lousy story. This series has been the worst so far, I can't even remember any of them. Does anyone else think it's running out of Steam?

So you don't remember...

The one with all the Daleks, cameos from old Daleks and Skaro
    The one with Dinosaurs on a spaceship, a greedy genocidal maniac and dead silurians
    The western one with the wronged Cyborg
    The Earth one with the cubes and the sonic screwdriver ending? Oh, and the Brigadier's Daughter
    The one where the Ponds leave, the weeping angels set up a battery farm of humans and the statue of liberty moves
    The one with the snowmen the great intelligence the new Tardis interior and opening credits, the Paternoster gang and dead Victorian Clara
    the one with people being snatched into the wi fi and fed to the Great Intelligence, and the anti grav bike + modern clara
    the one where aliens trade based on emotions and memories instead of money, and all the singing
    the one on a submarine with the lone ice warrior who becomes interested in the cold war and the idea of mutually assured destruction after thinking his race are no more?
    The one that started out as a ghost story and ended up as a love story
    The one with the tardis interior, big friendly button, mazes illusions time distortions and history rewriting
    the one with the prehistoric leech, the paternoster gang again, an abusive mother/ daughter relationship, kidnapped Clara and poisoned Doctor?
    The one with the new cybermen you seem to remember.

If your basis for disliking this series is that you cant remember the episodes, I suggest you go consult a therapist about your poor memory :p
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who needs steam? Steam is boring.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the Borg were a rip-off of the Cybermen. Trek and Who have ripped each other off for decades, this is nothing new.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you don't remember...

The one with Dinosaurs on a spaceship, a greedy genocidal maniac and dead silurians
    The Earth one with the cubes and the sonic screwdriver ending? Oh, and the Brigadier's Daughter
    The one where the Ponds leave, the weeping angels set up a battery farm of humans and the statue of liberty moves
    The one with the snowmen the great intelligence the new Tardis interior and opening credits, the Paternoster gang and dead Victorian Clara
    the one with people being snatched into the wi fi and fed to the Great Intelligence, and the anti grav bike + modern clara
    the one where aliens trade based on emotions and memories instead of money, and all the singing
    the one on a submarine with the lone ice warrior who becomes interested in the cold war and the idea of mutually assured destruction after thinking his race are no more?
    The one with the tardis interior, big friendly button, mazes illusions time distortions and history rewriting
    the one with the prehistoric leech, the paternoster gang again, an abusive mother/ daughter relationship, kidnapped Clara and poisoned Doctor?

If your basis for disliking this series is that you cant remember the episodes, I suggest you go consult a therapies about your poor memory :p

Summarised series 7 is indeed very very very awesome :D

When the comlete box set is released i cannot wait to rewatch it all again :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    If it still had the 'steam' to continue after Peter Kay in a fat suit and a clingy, selfish b***h being given her own clone Doctor to make babies with, then the engine is unstoppable...with or without it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Personally I tend to agree.

It's been seven years of essentially the same format. Classic Who made big much needed changes at that point to keep the series evolving.

Also,the problem with 50 years back history is that if you milk that rich vein though it is - there is a negative attached. Its hard to steer a path between accessible to all and geek fest.

I liked last night but be fair the real value in the script was the rich history mined - not the story itself.

In some ways a total reboot, regrettably, may be the surest way to secure a stable wide viewing base from here on.
  • sertonserton Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Summarised series 7 is indeed very very very awesome :D

When the comlete box set is released i cannot wait to rewatch it all again :D

I think series 7 will fair far better when watched as a whole. I think the long breaks have actually caused it to lose a bit of momentum that would've happened with the change over to Clara considering that she was "technically" introduced in the first episode of the season.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It is dumbed down tripe for a modern audience.

I wish they would bring back more science into the programme.

I no longer bother to buy the box sets as the quality is not present.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    serton wrote: »
    I think series 7 will fair far better when watched as a whole. I think the long breaks have actually caused it to lose a bit of momentum that would've happened with the change over to Clara considering that she was "technically" introduced in the first episode of the season.

Personally i think so too...I think series 7 seen as awhole piece will present a more fuller picture...the long waits an the shorter feel for the season really will paint something different when watched as a whole :)

I think that is the main criticism for series 7 really...the gaps which make it feel a bit colder and disjointed in appearence :) But yeah :D
  • LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you don't remember...

If your basis for disliking this series is that you cant remember the episodes, I suggest you go consult a therapist about your poor memory :p

When Doctor Who meets Friends :rolleyes:
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I think, during the first four seasons, there was a feeling of momentum. It felt as though the show was growing its fan base and viewers, expanding its universe (Sarah Jane Adventures and Torchwood) and generally building towards something.

I don't really get that with the show now. It suddenly feels very small and people just aren't talking about it anymore. I think there are various reasons for this - the on-off production and ever changing schedule, and ever decreasing PR.

But I think much of it is to do with the writing - the mere fact that Matt Smith's companions seem to get dropped home at the end of each adventure (Amy and Rory, and now Clara too) creates a disconnect in the Doctor/companion relationship that I don't feel works and harms the show.

Over all, I think its gone from must-see TV, the sort of show that could go head-to-head with Ant'n'Dec (and win hands down) to a show that people record and watch at their leisure at some point later in the week.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    After seven years.....yes I think it's done well. But I do think it's lost the magic and novelty of the earlier years.
    BUT, as an earlier poster mentioned, after seven years of the Classic Series - it had lost viewers and popularity. That's when they introduced Pertwee & UNIT in their new-look 'colour' series!
    OOer - I feel old now.....I remember those days! :cool:
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it's lost steam, but Dr Who is perhaps the only TV show in the world that can regenerate successfully.

But not a new show-runner, the basic format needs to change. Longer running time, 60minutes, maybe even 90 minutes. 30 minutes would work too as part of an evening line-up of light entertainment.

Unfortunately the modern BBC are too tied to making money to consider any of that, so 44 minutes is here to stay. It's no longer enough.
  • cliftonhillcliftonhill Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    For me it just doesn't have the wow factor in any of this latest run of episodes. It's still better than most stuff on tv but it's not as good as it can be.

I really like Matt & Jenna but they need better material to work with.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    ncr1969 wrote: »
    Personally I tend to agree.

It's been seven years of essentially the same format. Classic Who made big much needed changes at that point to keep the series evolving.

Also,the problem with 50 years back history is that if you milk that rich vein though it is - there is a negative attached. Its hard to steer a path between accessible to all and geek fest.

I liked last night but be fair the real value in the script was the rich history mined - not the story itself.

In some ways a total reboot, regrettably, may be the surest way to secure a stable wide viewing base from here on.

What, you mean like the regular 7+ million viewers they already have as a steady audience? :rolleyes:
  • LurkingGoodLurkingGood Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.
    All'swell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    No, Doctor Who is not running out of steam (imo). I'm loving the current series, and don't get the negativity I see on this forum one bit.

Oh, and the Borg are a rip off of the Cybermen, not the other way round.

I concur number 1 !!! ..... Star Trek used a lot of Dr Who .. Remember the first five doctors actors names being used in an episode !! So no Dr Who has gone from strength to strength thus year ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who needs steam? Steam is boring.

It needs to run on nuclear!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [spoof]Awwww I forgot to refill the iron... he is looking a bit crinkly...
    [/spoof]
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly, OP.

When did we last have steam... was it in Cold War?

I remember when there was enough steam for an entire episode, like 42. But now, we're lucky to get any at all.

Yes, it seems steam is in short supply these days - possibly so sparse, you barely remember it when it appears.

Really, was it last seen as far back as Cold War?