Options

Videoing

Help!!

We're going away in two weekends time, and I *really* want to be able to record a segment on cbeebies (the birthday section) as a card I made for a friend ~might~ be on. We'll be away from friday evening, and I want to record on sunday morning. But, as we know, the box shuts down after a few hours (about 3 hours now a days it seems!!)
I don't have (or want) a tiscali+, so is there any other option?? Or do I just have to accept I won't get to see it?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Go and buy one of those cheap freeview boxes and record from that.
  • Options
    ethelethel Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    vangeezer wrote: »
    Go and buy one of those cheap freeview boxes and record from that.

Yeah - they're only £15 or so in Morrisons (according to today's daily rag)..!

That'll do you nicely (we still use a Freeview box/VHS combo if there's something which absolutely must be recorded.

Seems to do the job, good 'ol steam-powered tech.. ;)

Hope your card gets shown (we're thinking of sending one in for Ethel Jr's 2nd birthday) :)

D
  • Options
    joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really annoying that sessions seem to time out - a lot of us don't have Tiscali+ and want to use the second SCART socket on the back of the standard Tiscali box to record onto a VHS / DVD recorder (which should be simple by leaving the Tiscali box on the appropriate channel and selecting record from AV1 or AV on the recorder and setting the recorder's timer).

I wonder if the box still times out if you leave the telly switched on on the appropriate channel? Surely you could be watching a really long programme so it might not time out? I've never tried this but maybe you could experiment, and leave the telly switched on if it's really important that you catch this programme.

Otherwise I suppose a separate freeview box is the only way if you're lucky enough to have decent freeview reception (make sure that doesn't time out also though).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Sorry for delay in getting back..

If I could get freeveiw we wouldn't bother with Tiscali!! Unfortunately, for a couple of reasons (including not having an aerial), we can't et free view where we live.. We rarely watch anything that isn't included in the free channels, so if we could get freeview, life would be much simpler!

And unfortunately, yes, the box still times out.. even if you are watching it and its only 2 hours since you turned the TV on (as happened to me this morning). if you don't change channels, your session times out :rolleyes:

Frustratingly the cards aren't shown on iPlayer..
  • Options
    joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McScream wrote: »

If I could get freeveiw we wouldn't bother with Tiscali!! Unfortunately, for a couple of reasons (including not having an aerial), we can't et free view where we live.. We rarely watch anything that isn't included in the free channels, so if we could get freeview, life would be much simpler!

And unfortunately, yes, the box still times out.. even if you are watching it and its only 2 hours since you turned the TV on (as happened to me this morning). if you don't change channels, your session times out :rolleyes:

Looks like a way of making us fork out for the + box - can't think of any other way of solving this. It seems to render the second Scart socket effectively useless.
  • Options
    ethelethel Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    McScream wrote: »

I'm sure that if it isn't too late, somebody on here would record it for you..?

I can only offer VHS I'm afraid - any use..?

D